Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Has GM come up with better injectors that will fit our cars?

On another forum, I was reading about a project where a guy made 17 whp and 35 (!) lbs. ft of torque just by switching to newer (2012) injectors that were designed for a different vehicle.

The car was a 3.0L NSX. He switched to the 2012 RDX injectors, tuned the car, and made impressive gains all over the rev range. The factors contributing to the gains were a better injection "spray" pattern and an increase in cc's.

The project took a lot of research, obviously. Just wondering: with the similarities between the LS platforms, does anyone think that switching to newer injectors (say, from a 5th gen, or a C6, for example) could yield a performance benefit? Improved MPG? Cooler operating temps?

Here is a link to the thread I was reading. It is noteworthy that there were a ton of naysayers until the results were posted. I linked to the page with the dyno charts.

Sale pending, my first project (should be a good one) - Page 3 - NSX Prime

What does everyone think?

I personally believe there is merit to finding gains with spray patterns.

A friend of mine experimented with this on his GN, it's been 15-20 years ago though. I do remember he found gains but don't recall to what extent.

I'm sure the same could be said for the LS platform. Just have to dive in and experiment.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

It's something I would love to try, but I'm not "at that level" yet. I understand the theory and stuff, but the nitty-gritty of it is still somewhat over my head. As for right now... I'm not much more than a "parts changer," and a relatively novice one, at that.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I remember my dad explaining his new in 2005? ish Dodge Ram. It had the diesel, and he said it made more power and sounded more like a V10 than a diesel. This was because the injectors sprayed the fuel in a uniform column as the piston went down, instead of just spraying a gob of diesel in the cylinder.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Exactly. As the piston moves down, pressure in the cylinder decreases. Since the Cummins relies on pressure to ignigte the fuel, rather than spark, it can continue to burnthe air/fuel mixture as the piston moves down, applying pressure longer, accelerating the piston, rather than just slaming down on it with sudden force.

Thread Information