Black
    99 SS clone M6

Unhappy a hard worked ls1..should i worry and what to check asap?

Ive had this 99 Z28 for a few months, bought it with 111k miles on it (now with 112k) and just from driving it...working on it...maintaining it... i can definitly tell that the LS1 in this car has had a rougher time than Lady Gaga would at an NRA rally.
    that being said, the engine runs pretty good...other than the fact the motor shakes and rattles more than richard simmons on a meth bender.
    Its got good oil pressure (60 to near 80 psi), has always had synthetic oil but like i said, im worried that its been abused...and now i gotta be the therapist. the question is, if you bought a car that was beatin on, what would you check first? timing chain? lifters? i know these engines are noisey by nature but still....i have concerns. im sure this thing has seen the rev limiter more times than a 17 year old learning that you really cant do a burnout with a 110 hp civic just cause you have a big decal that says "thug life" across the back window
    99 z28 m6 ss clone
    79 Z28 (fast as Fu*k) thanks rich
    SLP Loudmouth, Founder's LCA's, BMR APHRD, Tranzilla T56, Exedy clutch SLP Lid FTRA Powerslot rotors 'brock strut brace, SS wheels and SS hood, hurst, 1LE bars, Energy bushs, EBC's
    past: 95 T/A, 78 Z28, 98 Z28, 86 Z28, 00 GSXR 600

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Seems like you need to do a detail inspection of the car.

shaking & rattle - have you looked at the motor mounts? Does it do this all the time or when under acceleration?

You say it runs good but then you ask about timing chain & lifters. Need a better description or a video.

If it was a timing chain you'd know it, because it would run like poo! Misfires, rough idle, sluggish, hesitation and if timing is way out it will not start.

Lifters are hard to tell, I'm dealing with this issue myself. Mine is making a noise @ 2500-3500 rpm range. Sounds like a sewing machine to me, not the normal sounds you'd expect.

look in my thread and see if it's making/doing like mine.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/help-170018/

Black
    99 SS clone M6

yea i looked in your thread and pretty much my problem, i do have a video but the sound is drowned out by the vacuum sound of the engine. ill try to post something with audo. hold the rpm in my car at 2500 rpm and it sounds like a loose rocker arm, but it doesnt affect the way the motor revs. it pulls HARD all the way to 6500 rpm. oil pressure is WAAY high at almost 80 psi sometimes, never gets under 60 lbs.
    the vibration is wierd. its just a general feeling that there is something in the drivetrain, like a flywheel out of balance, because as you push in the clutch at 70 mph, the vibration gets better as the rpms drop, but i know the driveshaft is still spinning. its only bad really at 60 mph up in sixth gear on the hiway. car has a real rumble to it. the rear end is kinda messed up, meaning the lower control arms, well...one of them has enough play in it where you can move the lower control arm in the back up and down by hand, so i gotta fix that, I NEED TO FIND THE CHEAPEST LCA'S THEY MAKE lol. i already have aftermarket LCA"s but again, they are worn.
    the timing chain i guess is ok, it just sounds like its touching some metal parts inside when its spinning, like it has too much slack in it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A loose control arm would make the car vibrate as the control arm is what plants the rear end to the ground. I'm guessing it would also make a rattling noise, or at least some kind of noise.

Your engine noise could be from a bent pushrod. Those are easy to check. If you think the rev limiter has been bounced off of several times, it's a good possibility one or several are bent.

If the vibration gets better with disengaging the clutch at 70MPH, you can eliminate it coming from an unbalanced tire or drive shaft as those would still be rotating at the same speed, as mentioned.

Thread Information