Thread: H/C Swap

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

H/C Swap

I am planning on doing a H/C Swap soon. The Heads are Patriot Stage II Ls6 heads: 2.02" int/1.57"ext, 59cc or 64cc. The cam is: 224/224 .581/.581 @112 or the ms3. Now for my question. When doing the swap do you need to change the injectors. What all must be changed. I heard different things that have to be changed.

White
    1998 Trans Am

You don't need to change them, but, if you do get a larger injector size, you must get them tuned in right a way. I would plan on the upgrade, then get one tune for every thing ! Good Luck !!!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by cat102199 View Post
    I am planning on doing a H/C Swap soon. The Heads are Patriot Stage II Ls6 heads: 2.02" int/1.57"ext, 59cc or 64cc. The cam is: 224/224 .581/.581 @112 or the ms3. Now for my question. When doing the swap do you need to change the injectors. What all must be changed. I heard different things that have to be changed.
    Do you want to know what must or should be?

At the very minimum I would change the pushrods, valve springs, and injectors. But in my opinion if I was doing a H/C swap I would add to the list ls7 lifters, ls2 lifter trays, oil pump, ls2 timing chain, and fuel pump.

Also are you an a4 or m6? If you are an a4 you should have a tc if you don't have one already.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 05-19-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

OP, I am running the same heads (59cc) and would recommend you getting the 59cc over the 64cc for a slight increase (bump) in c/r.

also, I cam running the exact same single pattern cam (224 cam). you will not need to fly with that setup. i am not sure about the ms3 w/59cc heads.

while you dont need larger injectors at this time, when you get the tune done on the car be sure to ask what the duty cycle is on the injectors. when i did my H/C install, i did not upgrade injectors at that time. i did eventually upgrade to 42# when i installed an u/d pulley and EWP.

you will want to upgrade the oil pump, go to a dual timing chain, and 7.4" hardened pushrods (if you run the 224 cam). obviously all new gaskets and heads bolts as well. also i would upgrade your intake as the ls1 will be a huge choke point. i personally am against going to the ls6, and would rather mention going to a 90/90 combo or higher for you in the future. i say this from personal experience, headache and both money and time spent going ls6 then to my current 90/90 combo. the difference is night and day, as it should be.

you don't need to do lifters or lifter trays or even a fuel pump. while those maybe recommended, they are not required. im running all those stock without issue.

i bet im forgetting a thing or 2 but im old and have slept since then. if there's anything else, ask me.

Thread Information