Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 SS #3504

got a new cam....

Ok well i bought a new cam yesterday, i got it well worth the money. thoughts????

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Did you do any research before the buy? What are the total plans for the car? Any other mods?
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

White
    2001 SS #3504

My SS is an ocasional driven street/strip car. What i gave for the cam i couldnt pass it up. as far as mods i have, Lid, headers, exhaust and 373s out back. that is as of now. I may not even go with this cam in my car. just wanting some feed back on it. thanks.....But a cam swap will happen soon.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Are you an auto or m6 if its an auto your going to need a stall at the bare minimum to run that cam the 109 lsa will give it a very choppy idle. The lift is a tad on the low side too which is probably the reason for the wide duration split... youmay want to sell it and get something in the high 220's or low 230's range with a 112-114 lsa.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    My SS is an ocasional driven street/strip car. What i gave for the cam i couldnt pass it up. as far as mods i have, Lid, headers, exhaust and 373s out back. that is as of now. I may not even go with this cam in my car. just wanting some feed back on it. thanks.....But a cam swap will happen soon.
    I wasn't trying to be rude, just getting more info

From what I know about that cam is limited but here it is:

You will want a stall if A4 to get the best performance from that cam. Obviously a computer tune is needed. This is what I found for you.....enjoy

CAR CRAFT:

"Our first shot was a simple baseline of the stock 5.3 with the carb and headers, making a credible 337 hp and 351 lb-ft of torque.... Just bolting in this new Thumpr cam (it didn't even have a part number) pushed the peak horsepower from 5,600 to a nose-bleeding 6,800 rpm..... the peak power jumped from 337 to 433 with stock heads. That's a 96hp bump with a cam swap!"

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles..._manifold.html

Now with that said, don't expect 96hp out of this thing, lots of different factors can be played.

White
    2001 SS #3504

I know you wasnt being rude. sorry if i came off that way.
    Anyways my car is an m6. and yea i figured a tune was in order for this thing. I'm no cam guru just thought that if this would run fairly well in it i would keep it, since i got it cheap. if not i can sell it and go another route like the torquer v2.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Since your an m6 I would probably get another cam and heres why the low lift, wide split and low lsa of that cam is going to make it sound really cool at idle but it wont make the peak numbers a v2 or a similiar cam would due to its lower lift and wide split. Which would normally be good for a car with a somewhat restrictive exhaust. I'd sellit maybe get a good penny for it and invest in another cam... 109 LSA may sound cool at idle but lugging around town you wont like it much..Also the test above was done on a 5.3 which since it has less cubes is whole different animal than an ls1 putting that cam in a 5.3 is like putting a 238ish cam in an ls1.

White
    2001 SS #3504

ok well does anyone think it could lay down 400 rwhp with this cam?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

ok well does anyone think it could lay down 400 rwhp with this cam?

Thats iffy IMO, I would say no. Depends on all other mods, maybe if you had everything else done

M6's do dyno higher then A4's but the important thing to remember is that dyno is just a number. Plenty of Cam only cars out running H/C cars. Depends on the rest of the car set-up

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Ok well i bought a new cam yesterday, i got it well worth the money. thoughts????
    Click for full size
    Whats your question about this? Really, are you asking what you need to run it or whats the real question here?

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post

Thats iffy IMO, I would say no. Depends on all other mods, maybe if you had everything else done

M6's do dyno higher then A4's but the important thing to remember is that dyno is just a number. Plenty of Cam only cars out running H/C cars. Depends on the rest of the car set-up
    Cars with the same mods will run the same time though, same cam same heads same mods a A4 with a stall will run the same or similar times as a M6.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Cars with the same mods will run the same time though, same cam same heads same mods a A4 with a stall will run the same or similar times as a M6.
    A4's usually out run M6's but M6's usually dyno higher......just how it is. Wasn't trying to start a transmission battle. To each their own.

That's with identical mods

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

No way that cam is goin to touch 400whp unless its on a REALLY happy dyno the specs just arent there. I mean look at the only m6 cars that have touched 400whp usually they have something like a torquer v2, m3/4 or some custom grind cam that cam doesnt have the lift or duration on the intake side to do it. but as said a dyno is just a tool they can be made to read anything.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Whats your question about this? Really, are you asking what you need to run it or whats the real question here?
    the question is.. how good is this cam? i can make all the other correct mods that needs to be done like remove or add whatever is needed. like i said before i bought this cheap and its new. if its a good grind ill try it, if not I'll move on to a different cam. i can use this cam in another project. lets just say I'm cam dumb.... and for any help.

88 camaro

here some of the info I get by looking at the specs of the cam

1) it has 16 degree overlap
    2) large intake to exhaust split
    3) 109 lsa

what i get is, it will have a lumpy idle, need a head with a IE ratio in the 60% range, and have a nice torque curve. Also redline in around 6300-6500rpm. will it make 400whp yes with the right combination and possible more. If you give more info on your set-up I can analyze it and give you more info if it will work together or not.
    Last edited by 3rdgen; 03-27-2011 at 06:00 PM.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgen View Post

3) 109 lsa

what i get is, it will have a lumpy idle, need a head with a IE ratio in the 60% range, and have a nice torque curve. Also redline in around 6300-6500rpm. will it make 400whp yes with the right combination and possible more. If you give more info on your set-up I can analyze it and give you more info if it will work together or not.
    as far as the internals of the engine, all stock. lid and headers 373s and spin tech exhaust.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

3) 109 lsa

If he had the right combo then yes 400 would be possible but with just the cam as he was saying i dont see it the cam is simply too small duration and lift wise, the large exhaust and small intake side usually means its made for a car with a restrive exhuast being it would spend more time with the exhaust valve open than the intake side. The 109 lsa will give it a hard thumping idle and possibly a good torque curve but it wont be liking life around town in a high gear meaning it will probably surge... I just did a few google searches and since the rules say i cant post links over to ls1tech i ont but there are many people over there saying the same thing i am that the cam is more of a show cam for a choppy idle than a good performer.

88 camaro

Well I analyzed it on my software and because of the lobe profile and with your current set-up, it will only make 321-341whp @5250 and 347-369whp @4500. With mild ported ls1 heads or stock ls6 heads and FAST 90mm Intake and FAST 90mm TB, it will make 368-391whp @5500 376-400whp @4500. My 2 cents is to sell the camshaft and purchase a better camshaft like EPS 222/226 duration with a lift of .597/.598 with a 113 or 114. This will give you the power your looking for with good drivability. Hope this Helps.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Well I analyzed it on my software and because of the lobe profile and with your current set-up, it will only make 321-341whp @5250 and 347-369whp @4500. With mild ported ls1 heads or stock ls6 heads and FAST 90mm Intake and FAST 90mm TB, it will make 368-391whp @5500 376-400whp @4500. My 2 cents is to sell the camshaft and purchase a better camshaft like EPS 222/226 duration with a lift of .597/.598 with a 113 or 114. This will give you the power your looking for with good drivability. Hope this Helps.
    holy crap... Im not sure of the program you have there but that great info, thank you. Yea ive already decided to get another cam, i just couldnt pass this one up for the money i gave for it. im leaning towards the Torquer 2 cam.... or maybe just have Comp do a custom grind for me...

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

what software do you all use for analyzing cams and such?

Thread Information