Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got bad news

1999 Chevy Camaro

Got bad news

I got bad news with my 1999 Camaro this morning,has a noise and my mechanic Gerald checked it out.Put a long screwdriver,pointed side against the block and told me a couple rods are knocking.I started it up on Monday and that is when it happened,I did shut it off right away.I did not drive it down to prevent more damage and it was towed.My father took it back to my place on his car trailer.I plan on doing some upgrades next year in Febuary and High performance heads and better camshaft are on my list.I am looking at a set of Edelbrock heads and a couple of my friends say they have been getting good luck with them.For the camshaft,Comp cams and I have to make make my engine builder happy.My engine builder John will only install Comp cams and will be doing the rebuild.Hopefully the crankshaft is good including the rods.It is stock with 102,000 miles on it and I bought with 99,000 miles on it.The guy I bought it from was hard on it doing burnouts including running the piss out of it and I believe this is one reason why.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It's tough since these cars have gotten so much cheaper more people are likely to have been rough on them. For me all the noises that are made are mostly my fault. Good luck hopefully the block is still good

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by chantel View Post
    I got bad news with my 1999 Camaro this morning,has a noise and my mechanic Gerald checked it out.Put a long screwdriver,pointed side against the block and told me a couple rods are knocking.I started it up on Monday and that is when it happened,I did shut it off right away.I did not drive it down to prevent more damage and it was towed.My father took it back to my place on his car trailer.I plan on doing some upgrades next year in Febuary and High performance heads and better camshaft are on my list.I am looking at a set of Edelbrock heads and a couple of my friends say they have been getting good luck with them.For the camshaft,Comp cams and I have to make make my engine builder happy.My engine builder John will only install Comp cams and will be doing the rebuild.Hopefully the crankshaft is good including the rods.It is stock with 102,000 miles on it and I bought with 99,000 miles on it.The guy I bought it from was hard on it doing burnouts including running the piss out of it and I believe this is one reason why.

Why dont you look into a different set of heads!!

edit: since their is better options out their than edelbrock, ls6 heads, afr, trick flow!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Why dont you look into a different set of heads!!
    If you're going to go there might as well rethink the cam, not that they make bad cams but closing your doors to only one brand takes out a lot of options.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    If you're going to go there might as well rethink the cam, not that they make bad cams but closing your doors to only one brand takes out a lot of options.
    This is true, I wouldnt stick to just one option just because your mechanic says so, their is def better options out their.

1999 Chevy Camaro

My friends that have good luck with the Edelbrock heads had the trickflow heads on thiers and afr too.Were not too impressed with them.My engine builder has tried the other cams for the LS1 and found Comp was the best.He has a LS1 test engine.I am praying the block is still good.Hopefully to hear this in Febuary.I know better,catch it early and don't let it go.Plan on putting on the Fast intake too with a bigger throttle body.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by chantel View Post
    My friends that have good luck with the Edelbrock heads had the trickflow heads on thiers and afr too.Were not too impressed with them.My engine builder has tried the other cams for the LS1 and found Comp was the best.He has a LS1 test engine.I am praying the block is still good.Hopefully to hear this in Febuary.I know better,catch it early and don't let it go.Plan on putting on the Fast intake too with a bigger throttle body.
    I havent ever heard of edelbrock putting down the numbers that trickflow with its 515 horepower package either, its been proven that trickflow has the craziest package around, and really comp cam is just the brand im sure they do custom grinds anyway. I am not knocking edelbrock one bit but dont hear about people buying them heads to put on a ls1, usually its ls6, 5.3, afr, trick flow, I am sure I left a few out also.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Oh btw yes to the fast intake lol!!!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Do your bolt ons first, then start tearing into the engine.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Do your bolt ons first, then start tearing into the engine.
    Yea I am sure the mechanic would have made sure of that, but you are correct but she has what the mechanic things is pushrod noise so it has to be tore into anyhow, Miswell do it all at one time instead of doing all that stuff later. Dont forget to get lifters, springs, push rods, oil pump, timing chain I may be forgetting some stuff when you do your heads and cam!!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    It's tough since these cars have gotten so much cheaper more people are likely to have been rough on them. For me all the noises that are made are mostly my fault. Good luck hopefully the block is still good
    I've been hard on the 02 since I bought it in Apr 05 with just over 29,xxx on it. It now has 49,xxx, runs better than ever and begs for more high speed runs.

It seems some run better than others. I suppose it depends on what shift built the engine...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I've been hard on the 02 since I bought it in Apr 05 with just over 29,xxx on it. It now has 49,xxx, runs better than ever and begs for more high speed runs.

It seems some run better than others. I suppose it depends on what shift built the engine...
    I agree seeing some people heads and cam a 120xxx mile motor with no problems and see others tank it on a stock one. I play it safe and get as much fun time in as possible

silver
    1986 camaro

There is such things as wednesday built motors. Middle of the week everybodys in a kinda good mood. Monday everybodys pissed about being at work and friday everybodys ready to leave. But what are your hp goals??

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 1nasty86 View Post
    There is such things as wednesday built motors. Middle of the week everybodys in a kinda good mood. Monday everybodys pissed about being at work and friday everybodys ready to leave. But what are your hp goals??
    I never thought about it like that haha, that was some wise words, and really like I have always been told to me its not really your hp goals its what kind of times do you want to be putting down at the 1/4

i would look into a diff heads thats just me tho...i run AFR

comp cams does custom grinds so i dont see a reason for looking somewhere else lol

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

is a screwdriver against the block really a proven method? i guess it could be...i usually put a hose to my ear and use the other end to sniff out the sounds...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    is a screwdriver against the block really a proven method? i guess it could be...i usually put a hose to my ear and use the other end to sniff out the sounds...
    Put the point against the engine and the handle just under your ear around the jawbone. Works pretty good if you know what to listen for. I used to do that to diagnose valvetrain problems back in the day.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Put the point against the engine and the handle just under your ear around the jawbone. Works pretty good if you know what to listen for. I used to do that to diagnose valvetrain problems back in the day.
    Interesting never knew that, guess I still got some stuff to learn from you old fart

1999 Chevy Camaro

My mechanic Gerald does it with a very long favorite Snap On screwdriver of his and is right on the money finding noises.Sticks the tip where the noise is coming from and puts the handle side near his ear.I am into the Edelbrock high performance parts.Just before storage,I had an oil change done to it and the guy that did the oil change found pieces of a bearing on the magnet on the drain plug when he removed it.I was notified of this and I was not concerned about it at first.Was not from the rockers,they were replaced at 40,000 miles with aftermarket high performance rockers and the guy I bought it from told me this showing me the repair bill.My engine builder said to do the upgrades during the rebuild doing it right the first time.Plus he is going to put the engine on his dyno to start the break in after completely rebuilding it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Sure it ain't just piston slap? LS1s make noise. Mine does, I get some metallic dust on my magnet every oil change too. I'm not gonna tear it down on a whim.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information