Thread: Good LS1 cam?

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Good LS1 cam?

Im wanting around 400-450 RWHP. What would be a good cam to go with. I was thinking of adding NO2 aswell.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Need way more info than what you are providing. There is literally a hundred questions needed before anyone recommends a cam. some right off the top of my head, what mods do you have/are getting, street/strip/daily driver car, lopey idle, want good low to mid range, what rear end do you have and what gears, do you have a good exhaust (Headers, aftermarket cat back), what suspension mods do you have (new cam means more horse power which means its harder to keep the power to the pavement), and numours others.

Its best to list all your mods, what you will definitely be adding and what your intentions are with the car.

a Bigger cam is not always better. You need to have all the accompanying mods to go along with a cam.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

black
    1999 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Need way more info than what you are providing. There is literally a hundred questions needed before anyone recommends a cam. some right off the top of my head, what mods do you have/are getting, street/strip/daily driver car, lopey idle, want good low to mid range, what rear end do you have and what gears, do you have a good exhaust (Headers, aftermarket cat back), what suspension mods do you have (new cam means more horse power which means its harder to keep the power to the pavement), and numours others.

Its best to list all your mods, what you will definitely be adding and what your intentions are with the car.

a Bigger cam is not always better. You need to have all the accompanying mods to go along with a cam.
    This is true we need some more info.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Give us what you have and what mods you are making cause if you dont have headers get them first then get the camshaft. You have to be able to get it all out first.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Completely stock right now, I have been thinking about long tube headers,but worried about ground clearance issues. I will be using a LS6 intake and possibly patriot heads. Also wanting to use a SLP air kit. Right now I have stock exhaust manifold gaskets and a flowmaster. I just got the car with a spun rod bearing. I have the machine work done, and the block checked to be fine. Most of the bolt-on decisions are still up for grabs. Mostly I want a DD but at the same time kinda a sleeper. Also thinking about putting NOS on it.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Probably going with a 12 bolt but unsure of gear ratio. I will be adding a suspension kit for traction.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

also wanting to go with LS6 intake

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by oreowizard View Post
    also wanting to go with LS6 intake
    Dude ur nowhere near rady to get a cam. U need to open up the intake and exhaust. At the very MINIMUM u will need...

Lid
    P/P tb
    LS6 intake
    Gears
    LT's
    Catback
    Not to mention all the suspension stuff u will need to hook up that power. Get ready to replace ur rear end with a moser 12 bolt or 9". Then u will need new pushrods, springs, oil pump, pulleys and other valvetrain stuff for the cam. Dont forget the most important part DYNO TUNE. Going fast aint cheap or easy.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

What are LT's? Kinda new to the chat.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

LongTube headers.

When you finally get to the cam, just make sure you don't get too caught up in peak HP numbers.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Thanx. Aint they about $800?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Top of the line ones are.
    Pacesetters are a good budget header.

The parts needed for a cam swap is about $1100.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think cam, heads, and the supporting stuff I was out ~$2600. Out close to the same amount for my 12 bolt after shipping. Headers were ~$600 with the Y, catback another $400, LS6 intake $320, and probably another $500-$600 in suspension stuff. Probably $7k for all of it. I would have to dig through receipts to add everything up because those are just ball park and I'm leaving some stuff out. Gets expensive. I would recommend climbing the mod food chain a little at a time. Get a game plan together of what you want to do and then figure out the order you want to do everything in. My heads/cam was the last thing I did. I had all the supporting stuff first.

Or you could just spray it for $1500 or so.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    LongTube headers.

When you finally get to the cam, just make sure you don't get too caught up in peak HP numbers.
    Agreed. U want power through out the RMP's. Is the car a daily driver? Come to think of it, its not a bad idea going with a FAST 90/90 but it will cost you $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by oreowizard
    Im wanting around 400-450 RWHP. What would be a good cam to go with. I was thinking of adding NO2 aswell.
    Thunder Racing's 224/224 @ 112-LSA. The cam has been proven to put up the numbers with the proper supporting mods, idle flawlessly on the street with the proper tune, while matching, holding and even exceeding power levels throughout the entire RPM band in comparison with larger camshafts from other vendors. One of the, if not the, best camshafts for the 346/LS1 engine....

Thread Information