Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

good h/c set up for a dd ls1

I'm hoping to do a h/c swap on my trans am sometime this summer. But don't really know what brand would be a good set. Just wondering what heads and can shaft I should pick up to get some good mid range thanks any help is appreciated.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

This is a loaded subject.....you're going to have wide opinions & recommendations.

Answer some upfront questions so that there isn't a million post asking them:

1) Budget? How much you want to spend?

2) What mods do you currently have? LT's, stall, rear end, nothing = virgin car?

3) Do you have a tune shop that you can go to?

4) Your plans for use? DO you want it to have street manners because it is a DD, or all out track car.

This is just the tip.....but they need to be answered.

Now if you're looking for a decent setup for a DD car and some week end fun.

243 (or 799's same head different casting) or 5.3 heads, with 243's the better choice with a 228 cam. This will give you some pep but not so much that you'll be doing valve spring swaps ever 30,000 miles. Keep your intake (already a LS6).

Tuning - you'll need a full tune, goes for about $500.

Also if you are a A4 - you'll need to also consider getting a stall to match your cam.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-03-2013 at 01:12 PM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Yeah I think he about summed it up...but if your current situation, budget, and aspirations are the same as most people wanting to H/C their DD, I'd say 243s and a 228R cam its good for quite a few horses and still has good street manners and mileage, you MIGHT even be able to get away with a stock stall.

I could have sold you a set of 243s but SOMEBODY relieved me of them last week

Navy Blue Metallic

i wonder who that might be

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

my appologies I kind of posted like an idiot... i was basically asking what brand of cam to buy and where can i find those 5.3 heads are you saying like oem from the ls4? or is there an aftermarket manufactuer? But basically i have slp lt headers slp lid ory lm exhaust and a mild tune on it already soooo. idk where i should go from there... i figured on buying the 90/90 by fast but hear its not as big a bang for the buck and to stick with the ls6 intake and stock tb.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
    my appologies I kind of posted like an idiot... i was basically asking what brand of cam to buy and where can i find those 5.3 heads are you saying like oem from the ls4? or is there an aftermarket manufactuer? But basically i have slp lt headers slp lid ory lm exhaust and a mild tune on it already soooo. idk where i should go from there... i figured on buying the 90/90 by fast but hear its not as big a bang for the buck and to stick with the ls6 intake and stock tb.
    These questions need to be answer for us to give you your best options. I can recommend about 5 grand in upgrades but in the end you're looking for something much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    This is a loaded subject.....you're going to have wide opinions & recommendations.

Answer some upfront questions so that there isn't a million post asking them:

1) Budget? How much you want to spend?

2) What mods do you currently have? LT's, stall, rear end, nothing = virgin car?

3) Do you have a tune shop that you can go to?

4) Your plans for use? DO you want it to have street manners because it is a DD, or all out track car.

This is just the tip.....but they need to be answered.

Now if you're looking for a decent setup for a DD car and some week end fun.

243 (or 799's same head different casting) or 5.3 heads, with 243's the better choice with a 228 cam. This will give you some pep but not so much that you'll be doing valve spring swaps ever 30,000 miles. Keep your intake (already a LS6).

Tuning - you'll need a full tune, goes for about $500.

Also if you are a A4 - you'll need to also consider getting a stall to match your cam.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

I see I see well budget wise 2-3k I have the mods earlier stated a 12 bolt 3.73 no stall yet looking at a 3200 maybe hoping to keep it reliable to drive 5000 miles a year if that no tune shop near me nor track so. I kind of just want a nice street car that has the balls to keep up.

Navy Blue Metallic

Based on what you said my recommendation will work well for you.

I recommend you find used 243's (and 799's very hard to find but are the same as 243's but made from a different factory and limited run) or a set off a 5.3 truck motor. You can find them on several vehicles. Trucks will have the 5.3's and after 07 IIRC they started coming with 243's, LS6, LS2 blocks will have the 243's. The 243's are at a premium. Most sought out head. Most guys will buy a set and send them to AI for porting.

You can get a set of 243's or 5.3's already p&P but those will run you around $1500-$1900 depending on the amount of work done.

Cam - the 228 cam will do you well. Gives a great bump but doesn't make it to rough to drive as a DD.

Stall - not sure what size you'll need but when you go to order the cam ask what they would recommend.

Tuning - A H/C swap will require tuning.

Tie this in with some mild suspension upgrades and she'll be a different car. Those upgrades would be LCA's and Torque Arm with a TA relocate kit. I'm using UMI stuff for my suspension as well as many others here too. Great stuff worth every $$$.

For future mod ideas look at my signature below.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-04-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm throwing in a 12 bolt by may so I'm doing some lcas, torque arms and some sfc. I'm making sure to do it all in order so I'm not taking apart the car to reins
    tall anything.

Thread Information