Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Flycutting and nitrous

Question:

What is the max amount of flycuting the pistons and be safe using say 75-125 shot of nitrous.

My thoughts would be that flycutting the pistions would make them weaker.

Any comments??

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

flycutting has nothing to do with nitrous or the 'shot' you wish to use, to the best of my knowledge.

flycutting is notching the pistons for valve relief in order for a (larger lift) cam to help the valves clear without coming into contact with the piston head. there comes a point when running a high lift cam that without flycutting the valves would violently contact the piston head and cause significant damage.

people run stock Ls1's with nitrous without flycutting. if you are wanting to 'bump' your compression ratio, there are other ways to achieve this without having to flycut. you can use heads with a smaller 'cc' size chamber, slightly thinner head gaskets. you can also consider getting a nitrous friendly cam.

i hope others chime in, and can help you out and even correct me if i am wrong with anything i said.
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 06-10-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    flycutting has nothing to do with nitrous or the 'shot' you wish to use, to the best of my knowledge.

flycutting is notching the pistons for valve relief in order for a (larger lift) cam to help the valves clear without coming into contact with the piston head. there comes a point when running a high lift cam that without flycutting the valves would violently contact the piston head and cause significant damage.

people run stock Ls1's with nitrous without flycutting. if you are wanting to 'bump' your compression ratio, there are other ways to achieve this without having to flycut. you can use heads with a smaller 'cc' size chamber, slightly thinner head gaskets. you can also consider getting a nitrous friendly cam.

i hope others chime in, and can help you out and even correct me if i am wrong with anything i said.
    Yes i understand flycutting has nothing to do with nitrous. I ran my 2001 car with a 125 shot with no issues.

My question is when you flycut the piston you are removing material from the piston. How much material can be removed (in thousands of an inch) before damage may occur to the piston when using nitrous.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Why do you want to flycut in the first place if your doing it for nitrous. This makes no sense to me?

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Oh sorry didnt make myself clear, g5x3 112lsa with afr 205 heads. this is why i have fly cut my pistons. I was thinking of running nitrous as well but was wondering if the flycutting was a problem if i run nitrous.

How far can i cut the pistons without burning a hole if i use nitrous?

make sense???
    Last edited by 1slowbusa; 06-10-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

yeah, that would be key info to have in your original post...hehe

g5x3 cam specs are: 234/242 .600/.610 112

what are the 'cc' and valve sizes of the 205's? you would need perhaps -1cc or -2cc flycut valve relief.

however, you might not need to flycut at all if the 'cc' chambers are 64cc. i would believe that 62cc or 59cc will or would require flycutting to ensure safe PTV clearance

i realize this doesn't fully answer how much material you can safely remove on the piston head, but perhaps calling AFR or LG to confirm would be the next logical step for a more sound answer.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    yeah, that would be key info to have in your original post...hehe

g5x3 cam specs are: 234/242 .600/.610 112

what are the 'cc' and valve sizes of the 205's? you would need perhaps -1cc or -2cc flycut valve relief.

however, you might not need to flycut at all if the 'cc' chambers are 64cc. i would believe that 62cc or 59cc will or would require flycutting to ensure safe PTV clearance

i realize this doesn't fully answer how much material you can safely remove on the piston head, but perhaps calling AFR or LG to confirm would be the next logical step for a more sound answer.
    Thanks for your reply,
    I have already flycut the pistons with .100 on the intake and .080 on the exhaust. The heads are 62cc. I talked to LG and they said i didnt have to do the exhaust but it will be ok it will just lower the compression a little.

They also told me that with the pistons flycut at .100 and .080 that i could install there biggest cam. I know i can get the heads milled down to 59cc and raise the compression but im not going to do that right now maybe in the future. The car is not going to be a daily drive and will be drove less than 5000 miles a year. it currently had 31000 miles on it.

Thread Information