PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Fighting a Ticking noise after H/C swap

I've been fighting a ticking noise after my heads/cam swap. I notice it only occurs right after I run the car up to just over 5k rpms and the car is at full operating temp. It doesn't make the noise at any other operating temp. After this i also notice that my idle oil pressure at full operating temp drops to 25 to 30 PSI.

My lifters are brandnew LS7's and Im running a 224R cam with stock rockers, double springs, and PRC 5.3 heads milled to 59cc as well as a TSP Ported LS6 oil pump. It seems to me that the low Oil PSI is going hand in hand with my Ticking issue.

TSP has suggested that a pinched or old Oil pump o-ring is the probable cause and is allowing air to bleed into the system. I did reuse my Stock o-ring that has 70k miles on it so Im sure its got some wear. After doing some research Im starting to think they are correct. However I would like some other thoughts before I Tear Back into this thing. Let me know what you guys think.

Justin
    Last edited by Justin93; 01-14-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Never re-use the oil pump o-ring. Even if it looks good, replace it. TS LMNO P is probably on the right track. But I dont know why it would only do it at high idle?

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Well Technically wouldnt not enough oil psi cause a lifter not to pump up thus causing a Ticking noise? This is what Im thinking is going on.

Black
    2002 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    I've been fighting a ticking noise after my heads/cam swap. I notice it only occurs right after I run the car up to just over 5k rpms and the car is at full operating temp. It doesn't make the noise at any other operating temp. After this i also notice that my idle oil pressure at full operating temp drops to 25 to 30 PSI.

My lifters are brandnew LS7's and Im running a 224R cam with stock rockers, double springs, and PRC 5.3 heads milled to 59cc as well as a TSP Ported LS6 oil pump. It seems to me that the low Oil PSI is going hand in hand with my Ticking issue.

TSP has suggested that a pinched or old Oil pump o-ring is the probable cause and is allowing air to bleed into the system. I did reuse my Stock o-ring that has 70k miles on it so Im sure its got some wear. After doing some research Im starting to think they are correct. However I would like some other thoughts before I Tear Back into this thing. Let me know what you guys think.

Justin
    There is a GM TSB on that oil pump o-ring. In the bulletin it explains that the oil foams after it gets hot and its mixed with air due to a leaking pinched o-ring at the oil pump. this has been known to cause the lifter/s to chatter and the oil psi to be low. This was a issue that some LS1's had from assembly but you may have done it yourself when you used the old o-ring, you can pinch a new one if not careful.
    Engine Knock or Lifter Noise TSB#02-06-01-038
    here is a link to the bulletin
    http://www.pistonslap.com/tsb/020601038.htm
    I'd bet its your problem

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Like said before, it's probably the o-ring. They're easy to pinch when installing. Didn't TSP send a new 0-ring with the oil pump?

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    Like said before, it's probably the o-ring. They're easy to pinch when installing. Didn't TSP send a new 0-ring with the oil pump?
    Nope they sent me every other gasket but no Oil pump o-ring. I can't say Im too pissed though, The car does run great. However Im sure Glad that I did my own labor cause Im sure a shop wouldn"t be cheap to fix a mess up like this lol.

Thanks for the Help Guys.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Hey guys just got the car back today with the new Oring installed. Its got perfect PSI now. at Idle its 55psi and at 1500 it sits at 65psi. Also the ticking noise is gone. Thanks for the advice

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

No problem. Glad to see it's running perfect.

Thread Information