Thread: engine swap

engine swap

How difficult is it to swap from an lt1 to an ls1?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by hartsmike View Post
    How difficult is it to swap from an lt1 to an ls1?
    in what kind of car/truck? you need all new wiring, obdII... i'm not sure what all you'd need...but it would be expensive i'd imagine...

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Transmission needs to be swapped...

Difficult? Not anymore than anyother swap.. but it will be costly.. fuel pump might need to be swapped.. lines might need to be fabbed.. like power steering, etc.. its been done.. just find someone that has done it. and get a donar car.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

So basically, I'd be better off just building the LT1 then. Is the main difference the aluminum heads or is it more stuff to it.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

So basically, I'd be better off just building the LT1 then. Is the main difference the aluminum heads or is it more stuff to it.
    For the time/money... yeah, build up the LT1.. they are good engines and can last forever...

Is the main difference between what? An LS1 and an LT1? If thats the question.. they are completely different blocks...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

there are many differences... LT1 is reversed cooled... stuff like that... if anything build a good strong LT1... get rid of the optijunk and go for the msd coil packs...

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

In the long run the Lt1 will make and produce more power cheaper than the Ls1. Due to being an Iron block and Parts are cheaper. Ls1 is better engine stock. But High HP, The LS1 will be more expensive to build. Esp when you start swapping sleeves. Machine work on the Ls1 is alot more expensive.

But both engines have an advantage and dis-advantage. But yes it would be alot cheaper to build the Lt1.

Black
    94 Camaro LS1!

im in the middle of doing the swap right now , 94 camaro lt1 to a ls1 from a 98... im using everything i have a complete car that was hit , and trust me i wouldnt be doing it if i didnt have the donor car

What about the add on's for the 94 lt1. On my diesel, all I've done is the Superchips programmer and the air aid intake. The programmer made all the difference in the world and just by itself dramatically increased the torque and hp. What add on's can I get for this car that will really make a difference?

red
    1993 camaro

I have an lt1 camaro and i basically dont know what im doing...lol. i want the most hp possible and i have the money to spend on it but i dont want to be ripped off. I was thinking about swapping the lt1 for an ls2, is that possible? i know the ls2 puts out 400 hp stock, and my lt1 is only getting about 285-300. also does anyone on here know how to do a tranny swap from auto to manual, or know someone that does. Please pm me, i really want to get this done. If anyone can do the work i can get the parts.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim69619 View Post
    I have an lt1 camaro and i basically dont know what im doing...lol. i want the most hp possible and i have the money to spend on it but i dont want to be ripped off. I was thinking about swapping the lt1 for an ls2, is that possible? i know the ls2 puts out 400 hp stock, and my lt1 is only getting about 285-300. also does anyone on here know how to do a tranny swap from auto to manual, or know someone that does. Please pm me, i really want to get this done. If anyone can do the work i can get the parts.
    did you used to post here a while ago?

i swapped my LS1 for a crate LS6... it puts out a bit more HP than the LS2... but the LS2 with the larger cubes will respond better to mods...

Yeah, I'm kinda curious about the tranny swap also. I'm sure it has been done but does anyone have any info on it?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Yeah, I'm kinda curious about the tranny swap also. I'm sure it has been done but does anyone have any info on it?
    pheonix performance in Palm PA has done it... they swapped a LS1 in to a LT1 car... they used to be a sponsor here years ago... they do all the work on my car that i don't feel like dong and do an exceptional job...

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Ls7?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Ls7?
    LS7 = junk compared to the bowtie block... it can be over 500 cu in of pure sex....

Black
    94 Camaro LS1!

yea i had to fab up a cross member to put my ls1 tranny in cause the trans mount is pushed farther back with the ls1 in versus the lt1

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I know about four people that made the swap, non of them regret it. I think your better off LS1. Here's one guy I know that did, maybe you could ask him for more info. http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevro..._SS/1996/9269/

Thread Information