Thread: Engine rebuild

01 Formula

Question Engine rebuild

Thinking of rebuilding motor and reusing the stock pistons.

On the honing process,i have a 00 block.I would like to use the stock pistons.What do you tell the machine shop to do when you want to hone the block out?Cost?Would I require to use the standard rings or do I have to go with a different set?

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by FORMULA7 View Post
    Thinking of rebuilding motor and reusing the stock pistons.

On the honing process,i have a 00 block.I would like to use the stock pistons.What do you tell the machine shop to do when you want to hone the block out?Cost?Would I require to use the standard rings or do I have to go with a different set?
    if you do any cylinder work I'm almost positive your going to have to use a larger piston

01 Formula

Any thoughts anybody been through this process before?Id like to know if I can just get a hone job and use the standard rings.I know that these block can be bored to .010 ,but most just go with a .005 over bore.

white
    99 camaro ss

hey man i just took mine to the shop few days ago and they will check the bores and if there good enough they will just deglaze it and you will be able to use stock pistons but would have to get new rings. and its not much just depends on shop and how much time it takes

white
    99 camaro ss

ooo and if it only has to b deglazed thats what u want guy at the machine shop says u really wont gain much power from going .005 over and it will give u more times to bore if somthing happens

It really depends on the mileage of the engine, how well taken care of it has been etc....

What you find on most high mileage engines are the bores out of round. Sometimes a simple .005 or even .010 doesn't clean the bores up enough or get them back into shape to promote good ring seal. If an LS1 is that far gone then it's a done deal unless you want to get into sleeving....and that's too costly for something that is easily replaceable.

Honestly the only thing you can do is take the block to a good shop and let them check all the bores with a good quality bore gauge. They will check for roundness and tell you how far the block needs to be bored. With any luck you'll be within spec and won't waste money on check out time. If not, get another block and try again,,,,or just buy a crate motor and be done with it.

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Spend your time and money on a new block fully assembled,,get one matched to your heads you plan on using,,avoid the other BS involved,,,
    I

Thread Information