Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do Cam Install Myself or Pay Shop

Well the subject is pretty self explanitory.

$350 for cam install labor or read up and just do it myself? I've never read up on what to do but I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, I also think I already have all the tools for the job. However I don't have a garrage to work on it, I'd have to do it in my appartments parking lot.

Also do you guys think it would be bad if I drove an hour and a 1/2 to the place I need to tune it at if I did the install myself, still have the current cam in there with it tuned, so idle might not be too much of an issue since the stock tune is gone.

I have an older SLP cam that's pretty big in there now, just getting something custom designed for my setup.

-Ed

Silver
    2002 Z28

if that 350 is tune also then it does not sound like a bad deal, you also would have a guarentee

oh hell no, the tune will be 450... would have been 300 but they didnt do they original dyno tune... sucks ass

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

$350 isn't bad at all.....are you gonna have them put rods, springs, retainers in as well?

I hear ya about the apartment issue....i'm in the same boat. The nazi managment at my place complains if I change my frickin oil...can't imagine if I did a cam swap

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Hell talk to Rob we can do it while your down here in APril at my house. I'm not scared and I know he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    $350 isn't bad at all.....are you gonna have them put rods, springs, retainers in as well?

I hear ya about the apartment issue....i'm in the same boat. The nazi managment at my place complains if I change my frickin oil...can't imagine if I did a cam swap
    No all I need is to swap the cam in, with my current setup I already have Rods, Springs, Retainer, an Adjustable Timing Chain, and an double pumper? oil pump... Think I named everything right, the original owner put the cam in.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    Hell talk to Rob we can do it while your down here in APril at my house. I'm not scared and I know he isn't.
    I might do that, but my concerns would be driving on it without a tune, I have to find out what LSA I'm getting. Ed Curtis is designing it for me

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    I might do that, but my concerns would be driving on it without a tune, I have to find out what LSA I'm getting. Ed Curtis is designing it for me
    It would have to be well planned and make sure we have everything. Check it out and we can get with Rob to see if he is up for it.

Do you know if he's gone for the day yet... i'm about off work, shitty job orientation and recording some tech clips all day today so i havent been around slappin zapfool

i'll be back on here about 5:30 est

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Ya Rob is gone pm him to make sure he gets it after you find something out on your cam. Too bad no one has Hp tuners for your car. We could do it and then adjust the A/F or whatever it woulod need to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    Ya Rob is gone pm him to make sure he gets it after you find something out on your cam. Too bad no one has Hp tuners for your car. We could do it and then adjust the A/F or whatever it woulod need to be done.

same year as you, you don't have it? i never even thought of looking into tuning software... hmmm

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

hell yeah we can do it....but I gotta tell ya, be ready to spend at least 8 hours in the driveway...also, if we're leaving the heads on, I hope Dave has a compressor big enough to fill the combustion chamber with at least 100psi.....since we are obviously not pulling the heads....just doing a cam swap. Also....depending on how big of a cam you go with....depends on driveability....hell mine still hasnt been tuned, and it runs awesome on the stock tune....

shit, i have a big compressor but i dont think it will fit in my car, it goes up to 200psi

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
    hell yeah we can do it....but I gotta tell ya, be ready to spend at least 8 hours in the driveway...also, if we're leaving the heads on, I hope Dave has a compressor big enough to fill the combustion chamber with at least 100psi.....since we are obviously not pulling the heads....just doing a cam swap. Also....depending on how big of a cam you go with....depends on driveability....hell mine still hasnt been tuned, and it runs awesome on the stock tune....
    I don't have one but what do we need it for the valve springs or what? Depends on what he has as far as valve springs. He already has a cam and heads so it really depend on if is just changing a cam.

just my guess here, but i think the rods might fall, or maybe it was the lifters... hell how much of a deal is it to pull the heads too? I'd like to find out if I really have roller rockers in there and if there's better lifters to get why not spend the $

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Nothing will fall. The only thing that might is the lifters. If we are gonna do it either buy the tools to lock the lifters up or go ahead and buy new head gaskets and head bolts in case we drop a lifter. The heads are not that big of a deal but you will need head bolts and gaskets. But if you just swap the cam you don't have to pull the intake off or anything. Just the front the motor. Hell it don't matter we will have all night and the next day worse case scenario. The valve covers have to come off to release pressure offf the pushrods and lifters.
    Last edited by BIG D's SS; 03-08-2006 at 05:00 AM.

hmm but which day of year one would we be missing

it would be a shame to not take this cam with my current setup to the track down there, i also want to try the autocross, i know i have a rare bird but skipping the car show wouldnt be a big deal to me

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Hell if you want to get it done and over with just pay the 350 and go on and have it tuned with your new intake and t/b. But if you want to save some money and take a chance then we can do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information