Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

different cam thread

I'm not asking which cam to get i am asking for all that have had any/many cammed ls1's how big of a cam would you go if you had a dd. My car is a DD, m6 but i wanna push my car to the limit but still be able to drive it, so with that being said whats you'alls opinion on the specs of a cam that i should get thats going to give me the most power(under the curve im guessing) but still be able to be daily driven all day. what specs/lsa/duration/lift would you'all go with thx in advance for posting. if it matters car will mostly be street raced 90% and tracked the other 10%.

red
    2000TA

look in the dyno sections of most ls1 forums.contact a vendor that spec cams.

NBM
    1998Z28

Do you have the supporting bolton mods to pull off a cam change? Or are you planning on just sticking a cam in an otherwise all stock car?
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Torquer V2.

hugger orange

I'd look at a 228 or 230 on a 112lsa or maybe a 110 lsa

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    Do you have the supporting bolton mods to pull off a cam change? Or are you planning on just sticking a cam in an otherwise all stock car?
    got LT's, 3 1/2 in garage waiting, will buy throttle body later once everythings installed or while being installed before it hits dyno, gonna just run my ls6 intake until i can get a fast xx/xx ported (actually almost take offense to this post, ofcourse im going to have supporting mods guess i didnt write my thread good enough, thx for posting and chiming in though)

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Torquer V2.
    have you ran this cam and what specs did you run with it or would you reccommend

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I'd look at a 228 or 230 on a 112lsa or maybe a 110 lsa
    Thank you more for what kind of posts im looking for. Have you ran either of them or are you jus saying what you've learned/read/heard?
    Last edited by Smokaholik; 05-31-2010 at 01:12 PM.

hugger orange

I was running a 220/224 on a 112lsa first in my a4 ls1 with a 3,800 stall. Felt it was too small for me. Next I went to a 238/242 on a 112 lsa and was very peaky and most would say it was too large to daily drive with the stock cube 346.
    I'm still running the 238/242 in my 408 stroker and its about perfect with the larger motor.

If you want to get a better bump in power with the cam swap mill your heads to bump your compression up to around 11:1.
    Lol if it makes you feel any better I read, asked, researched and beat my head against the wall for a few months before picking my cams, so don't be afraid to do the same and if you can drive a cammed car so you can feel the difference.

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smokaholik View Post
    got LT's, 3 1/2 in garage waiting, will buy throttle body later once everythings installed or while being installed before it hits dyno, gonna just run my ls6 intake until i can get a fast xx/xx ported (actually almost take offense to this post, ofcourse im going to have supporting mods guess i didnt write my thread good enough, thx for posting and chiming in though)
    Definately don't take offence. Without your signature being filled out I had to ask. Alot of people are happy running just cam only cars. Thunder Racing has a couple of sleeper grinds. My first little cam was a Crane (not to good) and then I switched to a TSP TV2. Excellent street/strip cam. And later when I added a set of 243 TSP PRCs Stage 1s the car pickedup 50 RWHP on the dyno and ran a best of 12.01. Full weight car. So a TV2 on a 112 is great but a TV3 might even be better. I never ran one of them.

hugger orange

Definately don't take offence. Without your signature being filled out I had to ask. Alot of people are happy running just cam only cars. Thunder Racing has a couple of sleeper grinds. My first little cam was a Crane (not to good) and then I switched to a TSP TV2. Excellent street/strip cam. And later when I added a set of 243 TSP PRCs Stage 1s the car pickedup 50 RWHP on the dyno and ran a best of 12.01. Full weight car. So a TV2 on a 112 is great but a TV3 might even be better. I never ran one of them.
    I'm still running my 241's, ported and milled. I'm shooting for next year to get a great set of heads for the goat and would love to see a gain from the head swap like you got!

NBM
    1998Z28

Talking

I'm still running my 241's, ported and milled. I'm shooting for next year to get a great set of heads for the goat and would love to see a gain from the head swap like you got!
    You might not see as big a gain as I did because the stock 98 stock heads suck. 241s are way better especially ported and milled.

hugger orange

True, or might see more since I'm running a cammed 408 stroker... My heads have got to be chokingout well before 7,500 rpms lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

ya i dont have a sig but spend hours on hrs on several different forums trying to learn/research so i can do it right first. and i still feel like i know nothing.
    So what was your total rwhp with the 243 TSP PRC's Stg 1's w/ TV2? and are you a m6 can see ur sig while typing reply. Thx for the good knowledge and post though PFM

I was running a 220/224 on a 112lsa first in my a4 ls1 with a 3,800 stall. Felt it was too small for me. Next I went to a 238/242 on a 112 lsa and was very peaky and most would say it was too large to daily drive with the stock cube 346.
    I'm still running the 238/242 in my 408 stroker and its about perfect with the larger motor.
    If you want to get a better bump in power with the cam swap mill your heads to bump your compression up to around 11:1.
    Lol if it makes you feel any better I read, asked, researched and beat my head against the wall for a few months before picking my cams, so don't be afraid to do the same and if you can drive a cammed car so you can feel the difference.
    "most would say" what would you say after driving it? could you daily it easily or would you of gone smaller? Also are you saying mill my stock 241's(which is what i have right) or the heads i get from TSP. B/c am wanting to just do a TSP H/C package but dont know which one to pick. are both great and its just what i can afford or should i get the ls6 heads or the 5.3 heads? Thx for posting also im trying to learn as much as i can so i can do it right the first time, dont think ill be able to drive a cammed car hell i'd jus be happy to ride in one.

You might not see as big a gain as I did because the stock 98 stock heads suck. 241s are way better especially ported and milled.
    this is what i have right 241's (stock) and how much should a reputable shop charge to mill and port heads? Thx...

hugger orange

If you get a VERY good tune a mid 23x/23x can be very streetable....but most of the time once you get around 236/236 or bigger you will get lower rpm bucking and have to rev it pretty high to start making good power. I put up with it and even kinda liked it lol.
    If your not going to buy a good set of heads for a year or two I'd pop your stock ones off and have them milled... For every point of compression increase you gain about 4% hp and torque...like going from stock 10:1 up to 11:1 compression.

Read the stickies in here in the internal engine section and you'll get some good info.
    If your not sure what cam to with, the 228 cam is a pretty good all around street/strip cam

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

If you get a VERY good tune a mid 23x/23x can be very streetable....but most of the time once you get around 236/236 or bigger you will get lower rpm bucking and have to rev it pretty high to start making good power. I put up with it and even kinda liked it lol.
    If your not going to buy a good set of heads for a year or two I'd pop your stock ones off and have them milled... For every point of compression increase you gain about 4% hp and torque...like going from stock 10:1 up to 11:1 compression.

Read the stickies in here in the internal engine section and you'll get some good info.
    If your not sure what cam to with, the 228 cam is a pretty good all around street/strip cam
    Thank you!!! explain lower rpm bucking to a newb whos never been in a cammed ls1 plz? and if i get say a set of stg 1 PRC ls6 heads will i be good to go or should i still have them millled/ported to bump up my compression? Im assumming yes b/c i want as much horse as i can put out of a stock bottom end ls1.

Thread Information