Black
    1999 trans am

difference in heads

Can some tell me whats the difference between 59cc, 64cc, 205cc, 225cc heads? What does the number and cc mean?

red
    TVR Cerbera

The smaller number is the size of the combustion chamber, so a 62cc measurement means this is how much fluid it will take to fill, the larger number is the size of the intake runner, which is what your inlet manifold flows into.

Black
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by lstvr View Post
    The smaller number is the size of the combustion chamber, so a 62cc measurement means this is how much fluid it will take to fill, the larger number is the size of the intake runner, which is what your inlet manifold flows into.
    So which measurement would be best for an all motor 383 LS1/LS6 thanks for that info.

red
    TVR Cerbera

I personally think 225 so you can grow into them with a bigger cam etc, combustion chamber i cant really comment because here i run 98Ron fuel, so i can run a higher comp ratio ( smaller chamber.), i think you guys dont have this?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Is it better to run a 59cc or 64cc or what? I currently have the stage 2 pp heads 59cc. Just wondering if I should get something different next time.

I got the heads with a cam and headers that I bought as a complete package online.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

To pick the best heads or cam for that matter for you it really depends on alot of different things. Like what you plan to do with the car, current mods, and what you intend the car to do. Best thing you can do is just read about them and talk to as many people as possible to start forming and idea of what you want.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Well I told the guys that I bought the package from that the car is my dd but I wanted to have a little more power and so the 59cc heads is what they suggested. PP Stage 2 pp heads 59 cc, cam, headers, y-pipe, e-cutout, etc.
    Last edited by chieftransam; 01-07-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

the 59 cc is your chamber size. the lower the 'cc' is the more it raises your compression ratio (C/R) those heads should bump or your C/R to about 11.3-5:1 for a little more power that the 64cc heads...

watch out because the lower your 'cc' is the closer your valves are to the piston. you need to make sure that whatever cam you go with will clear your pistons without needing to flycut them...

if you bought the package from PP (Patriot Performance), you should not encounter any issues...

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

to answer the OP question, either of those two combustion chamber 'cc' sizes will work. if you are a stock cubed ls1 go with the 205 heads. if you have a stroked or large displacement engine go with the 225 heads...

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    to answer the OP question, either of those two combustion chamber 'cc' sizes will work. if you are a stock cubed ls1 go with the 205 heads. if you have a stroked or large displacement engine go with the 225 heads...
    The more compression you have the more power you will make. Being our blocks are aluminum and have computer controlled engines we can run a little high compression on pump gas safely. The only times you don’t want to run more compression is: you are unable to unwilling to run high octane by high octane gas I mean 91+ I run 93 personally, and/or you have some type of boost.
    I’d go with the smaller cc chambers heads. I have the stage 2 LS6 Patriot Performance heads and have had no problems. For the intake runner size I agree with SSwt00SS.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    The more compression you have the more power you will make. Being our blocks are aluminum and have computer controlled engines we can run a little high compression on pump gas safely. The only times you don’t want to run more compression is: you are unable to unwilling to run high octane by high octane gas I mean 91+ I run 93 personally, and/or you have some type of boost.
    I’d go with the smaller cc chambers heads. I have the stage 2 LS6 Patriot Performance heads and have had no problems. For the intake runner size I agree with SSwt00SS.
    i agree the higher compression (to an extent) will help produce a little more power. i have the Patriot Stage II heads (59cc) as well and running 91 or higher gas. great heads, IMO. those heads and my 224 cam im putting down 437/404 to the ground with a C/R around 11.5:1...

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Yeah I was wondering about the compression ratio and which would make more power ( like lower cc heads or higher). I have the same setup as SSwt00SS (stage 2 heads 59cc, 224/224 .581/.581 112lsa, and I have hooker headers, hooker y, elec cutout) except for the FAST 90/90. I got around 415/395 with stock exhaust and drag radials on while they were doing the dyno. With the cutout open I got around 425.

Black
    1999 trans am

yeah but are you all running on a stock LS1 block or what? I'm getting the Texas Speed 383 LS1/LS6 stroker block. So my question was what head and cam would be the best to get the most out of the block but still be a daily driver car.

Black
    1999 trans am

There will be no power adding to this motor, just straight engine. Now which head is better for the job. Is it the Precison Race Components Stg 2.5 LS6 Heads, or the Precison Race Components Stg 2.5 5.3L Heads.
    And also with the bigger Cid what cam would be the best for the job. Please remember this is a DD car. Someone please give me some info. Thank You

pewter
    02' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by therel82 View Post
    Can some tell me whats the difference between 59cc, 64cc, 205cc, 225cc heads? What does the number and cc mean?
    For a 383 215cc runners is more ideal. Plenty of flow without sacrificing velocity. Stock LS6 heads r 65cc combustion chambers (I think) so If you stick close to that you have no problem with valve clearance(but a higher compression ratio will net you more power.). Dont get me wrong 215/64 will net you at least 30rwhp just from heads alone, combo that with a good cam choice and you'll have one fast DD!
    Last edited by maxpit; 01-09-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Yes I am on the stock ls1 block. I didn't know you were talking about a 383..

Black
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    Yes I am on the stock ls1 block. I didn't know you were talking about a 383..
    Yeah man I'm putting a 383 LS1/LS6 block in. Its going to be just an all motor daily driver, but I still want the most out of the block. What head & cam should get.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Well bro I'm not sure about that. (I would say 215cc.) But I do know the next time I go to Iraq/Afghanistan I'm going to have a all motor 383 or 402 fully built.

pewter
    02' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by therel82 View Post
    Yeah man I'm putting a 383 LS1/LS6 block in. Its going to be just an all motor daily driver, but I still want the most out of the block. What head & cam should get.
    I just told you what the head spec's you wanna look for, you have to go and do your research now to find out who's gonna make it for you. Different companies charge different prices. It's really depending on how much you wanna spend... you got companies like AFR, RHS, TEA, PP, Texas Speed, etc. Of course dont turn your head away from the local shops in your area because they might be able to get you a better deal. Start some heavy research and start looking on what parts you wanna use, sodium filled or hollow stem valves, Ti retainers, dual springs, r some examples.

Thread Information