Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Did i get screwed on my cam dyno/install?

Ok, i've been looking around lately on the form and seeing people with practically the same cam making more power then me with the same mods and if anything mine are better so i wanna kno if im gettin screwed by the dyno shop or mayb he doesnt know how 2 tune???

2002 Trans AM WS6 CE M6
    411RWHP 409RWTQ uncorrected
    390RWHP 388RWTQ corrected

Thunder Racing 230/236 .592/.602 111.5LSA Cam, Stock bottom end
    Fully upgraded valve terrain, ASP underdrive pully, LS2 Double roller timing chain,
    LS6 Intake, SLP LID, SLP smooth bellows, K&N filter, 10.5mm Accel Pro Race wires and NGK iridium sparks .5 gapped, Pacesetter headers with 3" mandrel bend X-pipe true dual exhaust (no cats), 4.10 rear stock 9bolt, Nitto 555dr 315/35/17R Street slicks, full BMR suspension except shocks, and a Hurst short throw shifter.

The cam is relativly big so i dunno y the numbers are like that....im thinking he just didnt tune it good or is that what i should expect from this cam???

Dont get me wrong the cam is very powerful and i feel its way more powerful that the numbers i got what does everyone think should i get another better cam or a new dynoer or stay with what i got???

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

sounds a little low to me, but then i have a smaller cam and heads...

why did you get it on a 111 lsa and not a 112 lsa?

you could always question your tune...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

My buddy made 417 rwhp with a cam almost identical and headers only. BUt that could be in the tune.

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

Was it the Mustang or the Dynojet dyno? Also did they have a shop fan helping to cool it? How long cool down in between pulls?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

4.10s don't help with dyno numbers.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=gear
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Quote Originally Posted by 2001hawk View Post
    Was it the Mustang or the Dynojet dyno? Also did they have a shop fan helping to cool it? How long cool down in between pulls?
    It was a dynojet, they had a fan but it was a shitty one and i dont think it did anything and between pulls they really didnt cool it down much plus they f**in charged me $525 for a full custom dyno tune and if they did a shitty 1 im gunna raise hell!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    sounds a little low to me, but then i have a smaller cam and heads...

why did you get it on a 111 lsa and not a 112 lsa?

you could always question your tune...
    I did get a 112 but the label on the cam box said 111.5lsa so im guessing its a slight bit lower then 112 but they just rounded it up...

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS View Post
    My buddy made 417 rwhp with a cam almost identical and headers only. BUt that could be in the tune.
    If thats in the tune that i really need to find another ls1 shop to re do my car...

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

those numbers sound right, i mean your cam only.
    having a few less h.p then other cars with likewise mods is normal.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    If thats in the tune that i really need to find another ls1 shop to re do my car...
    what are you looking for, another 1o h.p max and thats if they can even get that much from your set up.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I am looking to break the 400rwhp mark and dont think I am going to get anything over 410 at best and I have a nice set of ported and polished heads with larger valves, ls6 manifold, 160 degree thermostat, jet hot headers, SLP LM exhaust, intake, and 230-236, 590-590 114 cam. So I would say you are just about right.

As long as you guys think so i just dont want to think im gettin screwed out of performance ya kno....So is this the best performance ill get out of a streetable cam or is there mayb a better one out there i can put in when i do my heads???

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

when you do your heads you will notice a substantial gain with that cam and the heads should not change your driveability so its all in how you feel about your car now and if you have you powerband where you want it. You are about maxxed out on lift I would say but IF you wanted a little extra power and are will to sacrifice a little more driveability then you could do a little bigger duration cam and maybe a 114 LSA. Personally I wouldnt go that route though if you wanna keep driveability good. A guy I know has a HUGE cam that he drives on everyday but they powerband is WAY up top and isnt really useable power so I would say stay where you are at and if that power gets boring to you after a while go with nitrous since your cam would be good for it.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

sorry about how much I kinda rambled in that last post but hopefully you get what I was saying

There may be more in the tune, but for what you've got, its really not that bad. Don't compare your dyno results with what people post online, most of them are inflated by excluding modifications or they just flat out lie to "impress" everyone. If you want to compare results, compare to similar cars in your area on the same dyno.

black

As long as you guys think so i just dont want to think im gettin screwed out of performance ya kno....So is this the best performance ill get out of a streetable cam or is there mayb a better one out there i can put in when i do my heads???
    youre not getting screwed at all.

Thanks alot guys...just wasnt sure how everyone was posting numbers better then mine but i appriciate all the honestly helps alot!!

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    when you do your heads you will notice a substantial gain with that cam and the heads should not change your driveability so its all in how you feel about your car now and if you have you powerband where you want it. You are about maxxed out on lift I would say but IF you wanted a little extra power and are will to sacrifice a little more driveability then you could do a little bigger duration cam and maybe a 114 LSA. Personally I wouldnt go that route though if you wanna keep driveability good. A guy I know has a HUGE cam that he drives on everyday but they powerband is WAY up top and isnt really useable power so I would say stay where you are at and if that power gets boring to you after a while go with nitrous since your cam would be good for it.
    Well im going with the AFR Mongoose 205cc 76cc bare heads and am going to get them milled so im hoping to push up a bit into the 400's...The cam i have now i like, powerband is relativity low (2000-6400) so i get power where it belongs and the driveability is as good as it can get with a cam that size but i still think allil more can be squeezed out from the tune,,,,?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    There may be more in the tune, but for what you've got, its really not that bad. Don't compare your dyno results with what people post online, most of them are inflated by excluding modifications or they just flat out lie to "impress" everyone. If you want to compare results, compare to similar cars in your area on the same dyno.
    Yea i keep forgetting how full of crap people are... I just thought with ALL of thoes mods and that big ass ca there would be more power i thought the un corrected numbers sounded more realistic but when it was tuned it was an ok pull temp about 46degrees there was no fan cooling off the car or helping with the ram air (which i took the baffles out) so there may be a bit more but HOPEFULLY the heads will wake the cam up good!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Well im going with the AFR Mongoose 205cc 76cc bare heads and am going to get them milled so im hoping to push up a bit into the 400's...The cam i have now i like, powerband is relativity low (2000-6400) so i get power where it belongs and the driveability is as good as it can get with a cam that size but i still think allil more can be squeezed out from the tune,,,,?

stock heads are 66cc. you need to have at least that. getthe 66cc heads and mill them to 63cc or a little lower. if you start off with the 76cc, then you are wasting the effort of milling them. plus, you are bringing the valves closer to the pistons. this can be a problem with certain cams.

Thread Information