white
    1999 Trans Am

DD head cam set up

ok guys i have a budget in mind for a DD 99 trans am A4 h/c set up + supporting mods but i have a few questions. i know what cam i would like to run but not sure what heads to go with. I would like to gun the Lingenfelter Gt1-1 cam;

Duration @ .050; 229 / 242 valve Lift; .631" / .631" Rocker Arm; 1.7 ratio (did not say it came with rocker arms but gave this info) Centerline; 114

or a comp XTREME XE-R; 232/234 - .595/.598 W 1.7 ROCKER - 112 LSA

I would like to get the heads for around $1200 if possible b/c TSP has a similar set up in a h/c package for around $2050 that comes with timing chain, oil pump, and push rods

for my a4 tranny I was wondering which stall (trq converter) to go with i was looking at these two:

YANK STEALTH THRUSTER 2800
    TCI Super Streetfighter Torque Converter 3500

supporting mods:
    chromemoly push rods 7.4 length
    Melling high volume oil pump
    Cloyes true roller heavy duty timing chain set
    PATRIOT GOLD LS DUAL VALVE SPRING & TITANIUM RETAINERS KIT
    head gasket & bolt kit (duh)
    B&M SuperCooler Transmission Cooler
    TUNE

What others would i need , lifters, rocker arms, 12 bolt rear end(hmm not a bad idea), beef up my tranny, intake?
    i'm about to install headers and a custom catted y-pipe hopefully by next. week. plz some one help
    Last edited by Faught; 09-21-2010 at 03:39 PM.

black trans am

i have a Xr281Hr in my car with stock heads

i have a set of dart heads im putting on as soon as i get them back from my eng builder

i think the xr 281 is going to be as big as u may want it feels like an on off switch at 5500

i have mine tuned mad rich down low to make up for the tq loss...

still fun to drive but not as much as my gmpp hotcam was....

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Go with a Yank SS 3600, i love mine. I also have the 232/234 - .595/.598 112 LSA with stock ported heads on top of a callies compstar 383 bottom end. I love the set up very streetable. made 430rwhp amd 428rwtq. around 20 mpg on the highway. I would stay away from anything TCI, just my 2 cents.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I would upgrade lifters, stock rockers will be fine for a DD. Tranny, do a full rebuild with some good parts. Change out the sunshell for sure, they make an aftermaket one called "the beast". Get better clutches and a better band would be a good idea too.
    As for the intake, look for a used ls6. I picked one up on ebay a few months back for $320 i was like new. And for the rear thats just a ticking time bomb, i still have the 10 bolt but i know as soon as i put some sticky tires on the back its gonna blow.

white
    1999 Trans Am

cool, thx for the feed back, and on the trany do you know of a good kit? and how much does it run to port stock heads? and i cant seem to find a yank 3600 for my 4l60e
    Last edited by Faught; 09-21-2010 at 05:56 PM.

black
    1998 trans am

let me know if you need anyhelp with the parts. we stock the Patriot springs and alot of the other parts you will need.

thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

white
    1999 Trans Am

will do this is going to be a slow process, no job right now dam illegal aliens taken our jubs :P

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

http://www.converter.cc/converters/street/GM/1/
    A friend of mine did my heads, he charged me $500.
    As for the Trans kit, i dont know of a good one. A local trans shop put together a nice kit for me.

hugger orange

If your doing a slow build, forget about the engine for now and spend your money 1st, on a big tranny cooler (under $50 at your local parts store), then build the tranny with a 3,500+ stall...I daily drive my 408 stroker with a 3,800 stall 40+ miles a day.

After the tranny, get a great rear (12 bolt or 9") and do your suspension...sounds boring, but these mods can drop as much as 2 seconds or more off of your 1/4 mile time and when you get around to building your engine you won't have to worry about breaking anything behind the motor...lol trust me I know

white
    1999 Trans Am

thx for the advice guys, i was planing on doing the suspension, then the tranny work, and lastly the motor like mark suggested, but hey by then IDK what kind of new stuff will come out, but hey better to have a plan right oh and y such a high stall, one of my friends runs a h/c 01 Camaro 4l60e w/ a 3000 stall and seems to do just fine, so y go with a 3600-3800+ stall?

hugger orange

Honestly a stock motor with just a 3,500 stall can knock half a second off your 1/4 time.

And again, I tried a smaller stall 1st (2,800), and swapping to a 3,800 was a night and day difference.

I bet your friends car would be quicker if he went with a slightly higher stall.

white
    1999 Trans Am

hmm i might have to pass this on to him, so a high 3600-3800 stall does not make my a4 work harder and diminish the drive-ability? and it will cut my 1/4 mile time by that much .... daaaaamn. oh and on the buffing my tranny up is there a good kit out there or could i just take it to a trany shop, and what does the sunshell do?, i know a lot of ?'s but i want to know so i don't F any thing up.

hugger orange

If you goto a GOOD tranny shop they will beable to set you up with all the right parts and install them in your tranny for you for a decent price.
    Just for your info, I have about $3,000 in parts, just in the tranny.
    The key to longer tranny life is good fluid flow and lower tranny temps...always remember heat is trannys number 1 enemy.

black trans am

i can spend as little as 500 to beef up a 4l60e or 700r4... but it take some know now.....

u can get more clutches in ur tranny they they come with u just have to take out the spacer plate at the bottem of the assembly...

dont take the top on off u can get 1 more but it makes the snap ring fley and rips the groove out of the case.. been there down that....

as far as a high stall. if u have a GOOD cooler u can run one but make sure u use the t/c lock up...

if u use a big cam on it u may want to use a old vac lock up from a 700r4 to run it.....
    i only know all this from working at a tranny shop for the last year or so

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

From what i hear the sunshell is a very weak point in these trannys. Everyone i talked to told me to replace it with the aftermaket one. and get the biggest trans cooler you can fit.

red
    2000TA

get a good converter with a good lock up clutch,no slippage in 4 th gear. get a rebuild kit with more clutch packs. get a deep trans pan if your car is not lowered . get a ls6 intake,$300. upgrade the stock rockers with comp trunnion bearings. get some used 243s from a corvette forum for $400. do a good valve job with new springs from comp 918s. a tr224 at 112lsa will net you 400 rwhp with 243s. a EPS cam will make more power.get a tune from frost.

black trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    From what i hear the sunshell is a very weak point in these trannys. Everyone i talked to told me to replace it with the aftermaket one. and get the biggest trans cooler you can fit.
    yes it is week... but in a 4l60/700r4 there are a lot of week parts

Thread Information