black and white
    1998 Camaro

Dallas area heads/cam hot rod shops?

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Dallas area for a heads/cam install that can also give me some good, reliable information (I want to get a mildly aggressive street cam with good reliablilty but heavy HP numbers but I am really not sure which type/brand, duration/lift of cam or heads that I really want so I need to ask questions before I let someone pull my engine apart) and does quality work? I know LG Motorsports does but they are so proud of their parts and their installs sure seem high dollar (not to mention, I get the feeling that they look down on non-Vette's). I live 2 miles from their shop so can anyone here say that it would be worth it to just pay the higher prices and have them do it? I really want to do this but have put it off for so long.

I want something for a 1998 LS1 Camaro that is used on nice, sunny weekends and not a daily driver that will get me as close to 450 rwhp as I can get (dyno'ed 307 rear wheel as it sits now) so I realize that I may be looking for a bit more than I should but that is my goal (buddy of mine has LG's G5-X1E Cam with AFR 205 heads milled to 59cc that put down ~450hp/430 tq. at the wheels on his '04 Corvette Z06 that he had done at LG Motors.). Has anyone heard anything about Lone Star Performance in Garland or that Camaro World shop that used to be on 75 near Spring Valley but moved to somewhere off Arapaho? Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated from my F-body brothers who have had any internal engine work done in the Dallas area.

Thanks guys, I offer you the floor...so to speak.

black and white
    1998 Camaro

ttt

Black
    '99 SS

I'm up here in Plano, but I haven't done anything internal on my engine yet. I'd love this information as well, If there is a company as good as LGMotorsports and cost less than I'd love to know of 'em.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Guys, there is a place in Garland called Lone Star Performance (link below). I was just there last Friday to get my car Dyno'd. Though they do more Mustang work than F-Body, they know their stuff very well and will be able to help you out with selecting heads, cams, etc and also install them for you. Prise wise, I'm not hepl there. Check with them on that, and ask if you purchase and have them install if you can have (3) free pulls, or if you just have them install if you can have (3) free pulls. Never hurts to ask! I can tell you that you get (3) Dyno pulls for $75 dollars that show HP, TQ, and A/F ratio, if nothing else but curiousity has the best of you before you mod your cars.

http://www.lonestarperformance.com/s...tomer/home.php

Hope this helps.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Gold
    98 Trans Am

Lonestar actually jacked up my TA doing both clutch and cam.
    No locktight/sealer on the flywheel bolts caused an oil leak that caused me to have replace the clutch a second time. Left off clutch inspection cover.
    Both valve cover gaskets were cut on the back of the valve covers (leaking oil) due to improper insatllation. Both needed replacing.
    When I explained that the oil leaks began after they worked on it they told me it was due to blowby from the extra power.
    Rather than inspect and fix the problems they told me they performed a leakdown test and the oil leaks were due to blowby. Had the nerve to sugest new pistons and a .050 bore on the cylinders.
    After fixing the damage they caused no more leaks and 12.7 in the 1/4. So much for blowby

lesson learned never take an ls1 to a mustang shop.

Personally I will never use them again.

Spend the extra cash and have the work done right the first time by a reputable LS1 shop.

black and white
    1998 Camaro

Good to know, thanks for the honest opinion. What you say makes sense, though I wish it weren't true.

Quote Originally Posted by toecutter_tx
    Lonestar actually jacked up my TA doing both clutch and cam.
    No locktight/sealer on the flywheel bolts caused an oil leak that caused me to have replace the clutch a second time. Left off clutch inspection cover.
    Both valve cover gaskets were cut on the back of the valve covers (leaking oil) due to improper insatllation. Both needed replacing.
    When I explained that the oil leaks began after they worked on it they told me it was due to blowby from the extra power.
    Rather than inspect and fix the problems they told me they performed a leakdown test and the oil leaks were due to blowby. Had the nerve to sugest new pistons and a .050 bore on the cylinders.
    After fixing the damage they caused no more leaks and 12.7 in the 1/4. So much for blowby

lesson learned never take an ls1 to a mustang shop.

Personally I will never use them again.

Spend the extra cash and have the work done right the first time by a reputable LS1 shop.

rpm\real performance motorsports in lewisville is a good place to take your car .they do tons of work on ls1s.

Gold
    98 Trans Am

Im not sure about cost less but 21century muscle in Carrolton does good work.
    Be warned the Vette tax will apply.

Guitar God

Pewter
    2002 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by toecutter_tx View Post
    Im not sure about cost less but 21century muscle in Carrolton does good work.
    Be warned the Vette tax will apply.

He, He.. Ok, so what's the "Vette Tax"?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

What's the point of bringing up a thread that's 3yrs old?

Thread Information