White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

Cylinder Wall Scratches!!! Please help!

Ok here's how it looks like (last two is same as first two, but edited for better detail):

Click for full size Click for full size Click for full size Click for full size
    (Click for bigger images)

I just pulled the heads off to change lifters&gaskets, and this is what i found. This one is the worst of the cylinders. I have only been able to see 4 of the cylinder walls so far because i didn't turn the crankshaft yet. I think one of the cylinders was without scratches, but the other 3 had varying degrees of scratches.

The scratches are not very deep, but enough to get stuck when dragging the nails over them.

Is it a complete disaster?

Do i need to hone, bore, resleeve?
    Do i need new pistons, rings?

I haven't owned the car that long, so i don't know the history of it. What can have caused this? Only dirt/metal in the oil, or could it be something else?

Last time i drove the car it performed normally. I never noticed anything strange with it during the few hundred miles i drove it.

The car has been stock since i owned it, but i can not tell if that was not the case before i bought it.

Last edited by Candice; 06-07-2007 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Added photos

red
    2001 formula

I have rebuilt quite a few engines over the past 30 years and most of them when torn down have the same appearance as yours. I have never tore down an LS1 yet but I am sure it should be the same. I would consider it normal wear unless your plugs are fouling or you are burning excessive oil. Put it back together and enjoy the car. When it comes time for overhaul a machinist will check the bore and either hone out the scratches or will oversize the hole.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've seen some metal shavings on my drain plug during recent oil changes. Mine prolly look like yours.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

nothing unusual. just the side of the piston skirt sliding on the wall. i wouldn't worry about it.

question - why are you changing the lifters?
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

Thanks everyone.

mrr23 - i was advised to change the lifters because the car has 80k miles on it and i am changing cam, valve train, timing chain and oil pump anyway.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Candice View Post
    Ok here's how it looks like (last two is same as first two, but edited for better detail):

Click for full size Click for full size Click for full size Click for full size
    (Click for bigger images)

I just pulled the heads off to change lifters&gaskets, and this is what i found. This one is the worst of the cylinders. I have only been able to see 4 of the cylinder walls so far because i didn't turn the crankshaft yet. I think one of the cylinders was without scratches, but the other 3 had varying degrees of scratches.

The scratches are not very deep, but enough to get stuck when dragging the nails over them.

Is it a complete disaster?

Do i need to hone, bore, resleeve?
    Do i need new pistons, rings?

I haven't owned the car that long, so i don't know the history of it. What can have caused this? Only dirt/metal in the oil, or could it be something else?

Last time i drove the car it performed normally. I never noticed anything strange with it during the few hundred miles i drove it.

The car has been stock since i owned it, but i can not tell if that was not the case before i bought it.

nothing to worry about... maybe hone the sleves... i would also check to make sure a piston ring didn't go... is it eating any more oil than usual?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Candice View Post
    Thanks everyone.

mrr23 - i was advised to change the lifters because the car has 80k miles on it and i am changing cam, valve train, timing chain and oil pump anyway.
    ok, makes sence. didnt mention that in your inital post.

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

Candice had a post a while back "please advise on upgrades" last post on June 1. I am not sure that we helped much.

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

Thanks for help all. I was abit too worried by the scratches to just let them stay there, even tho it probably would have been fine like you said.

I took the engine to a machining shop. The guys there looked at it, and said that most of the scratches was pretty light, but there was some deeper that couldn't just be honed away. So i decided to bore it to 3.908" and go with a set of Mahle pistons for it.

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

And btw 2001hawk, you helped me ALOT!

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

No problem what we are all here for.

Thread Information