Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

at a crossroad...

ok, i'm looking to do h/c/i. my motor only has about 53k on it. are there heads and an intake out there that i can slap on my stock bottom end, and down the road, pull off and slap on a 400+ inch motor and still get full potential out of the 400+ inches?? what i'm getting at is i don't want to buy heads or an intake twice. would it be stupid to get the fast 102 intake at this time? or would my stock ls6 intake be more than sufficient on the stock bottom? a cam is rather inexpensive, and i understand i can't get a crazy huge cam with stock pistons. now, am i being unreal, or has anyone done this? or should i just not waste my time and money and just start on the 400+ inches? could someone help me sleep at night, and point me in the right direction please?!?!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You are better off waiting. You are gonna have to replace the wearable items. You are also going to be throwing money out the door to make your current engine support the H/C/I. You could make a small compromise and install the intake and headers. Those will bolt on your new setup without throwing any money away. Get a mail order tune, and you will get a few ponys, and a lot of noise. If you want to throw some more money around, get your suspension and rear end ready. That will set you back almost 5k. Moser 12 bolt, $3500 without install, Tranny upgrade, 2.5 k, Tick Performance. Money better spent.

Black
    2001 WS6

The stock bottom end will handle most h/c/i you throw at it if you're staying N/A

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I agree with Keith. Do some minor mods to your setup now, and save for the larger motor mods. Decide now what your main goal for the car is, and plan from there. Plan a realistic budget. Don't forget to factor in drivetrain and suspension componants too, as the stock stuff will not handle too much added power. Tranny, driveshaft, clutch & hydraulics - if a M6, rear end, torque arm, ect., will all need upgrading as well.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Just wait till you can afford the motor you want.

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

Heres what you need to do, give you're info to me and ill forward it to this princess in nigeria. He has tons of money that he just gives away. But on the topic at hand ++10 on the suspension mods no reason to make crazy power when you cant get it to the ground.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Do what I did and build the car to handle the power first. It's the smart thing to do. Rear end, suspension, transmission, etc all need upgrading so you're not stranded somewhere on the side of the road after making a 1st through 3rd pull. You'll also need a set of good, sticky tires if you want traction. Suspension mods along don't cut it at higher hp/tq numbers.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

For some reason my sig didn't post... 01 m6
    i have:
    pacesetter lt's
    texas speed true dual 3"
    Hays street/strip clutch
    Centerforce Flywheel
    mail order tune
    clear air box lid
    sub frame connectors
    strut tower brace
    6 point roll cage
    short throw
    nitto 555r's
    and a few other little things...

i'm ready for more power... i know i'm gonna grenade the rear, but i'm gonna wait until that happens to buy a new one... i'll trailer it home when the day comes, and then i'll have to afford it... just ready to go to the next level...
    Last edited by cj3489; 12-10-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    ceramic pacesetters, 3" tsp rumbler tds, clear lid, frost mail order, umi sfcs + stb, 6 pt cage, b&m line lock, short throw, hays clutch, centerforce flywheel, 160 stat, couple fancy new seats, cags-air-egr-rear seat delete...
    n2o in the works

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Have you ever seen a rear-end explode at 70+ MPH? You'll be bringing carnage home

I would look into a torque arm, lower control arms, and an aftermarket drive-shaft with a safety loop too at a minimum before adding more power. Unless of course you have those items already. You'll probably also want relocation brackets for the lca's, but I would wait on that until you upgrade the rear end. Just get them welded onto the axle tubes when you order it.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

roger that... i just kinda always figured if i did blow the rear it'd be on a healthy hole shot... well thanks for the info guys.. guess it's block shopping time... i know its worth it... but kinda sucks it's gonna take 10g's to get where i wanna be... guess we all have this problem... hahaha
    thanks again for all the input/info/opinions!!!!

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

GMHTP preaches about the wonders of the L92 head. Do a google search for "L92 head GMHTP" for their article. From what they're saying, the head breaths so well, regardless of engine size, your air bottleneck will be somewhere else aside from the head. From the little bit of research I've done on them, they appear to be able to bolt on to any LS based engine.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by excrider121 View Post
    GMHTP preaches about the wonders of the L92 head. Do a google search for "L92 head GMHTP" for their article. From what they're saying, the head breaths so well, regardless of engine size, your air bottleneck will be somewhere else aside from the head. From the little bit of research I've done on them, they appear to be able to bolt on to any LS based engine.
    I am pretty sure you need at least a 4.00" bore for them to work properly. Yes you can physically bolt them on any lsx engine.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Too many people make the mistake of building big HP without building a solid foundation first. For now, put you money into a good 9" rear and upgrade your suspension. I would then go with a brake and clutch upgrade and then tires. Once those issues are addressed then you can build a nice engine and know you will be able to put the power to the ground without failure. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

all i lack is a good rear and i've been debating a mini tub and a shortened rear... anyone dabbled in this area? i have a guy that does amazing tin work, and my rear seats are already deleted... i'll have all the other goodies, (phb, torque arm, lcas) by the time i buy a rear end...

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I am pretty sure you need at least a 4.00" bore for them to work properly. Yes you can physically bolt them on any lsx engine.
    that was what sparked this whole topic... if there was a head that would work on a stock platform now and on a 400+ inch motor later...

Thread Information