Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

crank pulley removal

So I got the crank pulley bolt out and the pulley is being a pain. Is there a special trick to taking this off? I tried PB blaster and the pulley puller but the puller keeps coming loose and it doesn't budge. Could I heat it up to take it off? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You need a good quality puller, preferably one that has a retention feature on the fingers. Although I have not removed one before from an LS1, I understand from reading GMHTP articles that they can be a bugger. I wouldn't put any heat to it unless all else fails.

Black/ Silver

What do you mean by retention feature? I rented the one from advance auto parts and it sucks. I found this 12 ton gear puller from harbor freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/12-ton-hydraulic-gear-puller-66657.html

And this just normal pulley puller:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/3-piece-three-jaw-puller-set-8832.html

I was thinking about getting the 12 ton gear puller, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-11-2012 at 06:28 AM.

I've removed and installed a couple of these. You'll need a good quality puller like Jeff mentioned. I'm thinking Harbor Freight probably isn't the place. Do you have a good tool outlet near you? I would suppose even a puller from Sears would be better quality than Harbor Freight....

You'll also need the tool to reinstall as well. I use one made by Mac Tools, and it threads into the crank, then you turn a nut that has a roller bearing in between and it gently and easily reinstalls the pulley without screwing up the crank threads.

Some people try to run it in with a crank bolt, I don't recommend that as it can pull the threads, then your day gets more interesting

All of these tools are small enough that it can be done in the car. When you get to some of the bigger pullers like you have pictured (hydraulic) you might have a fun time getting that setup in there, because there isn't alot of wiggle room.

I have a question Jeff,,,,

Hows come when I type the word "sears" it automatically pops up in the thread as a link?? I never intended that to be a link, and threads have been closed because of these non sponsor links. Might be something Ed can address?

Just wanted to make clear so it doesn't ruin the original posters thread....

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

Hows come when I type the word "sears" it automatically pops up in the thread as a link?? I never intended that to be a link, and threads have been closed because of these non sponsor links. Might be something Ed can address?

I can answer this. To put simply question it is because you have linked tags enabled. What it does is when you type certain words it links them to a search engine and hyper links the text to that search.

Black/ Silver

I heard the sears ones are bad quality? Also can someone show with a picture or tell me how the pulley puller should be set up on the stock pulley I feel like I am just being stupid for some reason. Is there a trick in making them not move? Also which Sears pulley puller, is this the one:

http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=00930166000P
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just used a 3 jaw puller I got from auto zone. It's a bitch to get it started moving but once you get it started moving it comes right off after that pretty much. Like someone above said....don't try to pull the new one on using a bolt. Build an install tool out of metric all thread and some nuts and push the new pulley on.

Black/ Silver

Okay just to make sure I am doing it right, the arms go inside and the hooks face away not towards you right? Do you really have to crank down on the bolts for the arms, I have but they still slip off with the advance auto parts tool. I will probably try again with the tool or maybe just buy the sears one.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I can answer this. To put simply question it is because you have linked tags enabled. What it does is when you type certain words it links them to a search engine and hyper links the text to that search.
    I have no idea what you just said

I heard the sears ones are bad quality? Also can someone show with a picture or tell me how the pulley puller should be set up on the stock pulley I feel like I am just being stupid for some reason. Is there a trick in making them not move? Also which Sears pulley puller, is this the one:

Product Page
    I'm pretty sure the couple of pullers I have are sears craftsman models, and that's what I use to pull them off. The install tool I have is from Mac (Craftsman doesn't make one of those).

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You may have picked up a minor virus on your computer that does it automatically when a specified word is typed. I can't remember what it is called, but there is one that changes the color of the word and double underlines it as a link to another webpage.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post

You may have picked up a minor virus on your computer that does it automatically when a specified word is typed. I can't remember what it is called, but there is one that changes the color of the word and double underlines it as a link to another webpage.
    It is actually a setting that can be checked or unchecked when you post via computer. I saw that the other day when I was posting. If it accidently gets checked it does it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Okay just to make sure I am doing it right, the arms go inside and the hooks face away not towards you right? Do you really have to crank down on the bolts for the arms, I have but they still slip off with the advance auto parts tool. I will probably try again with the tool or maybe just buy the sears one.
    yeah...sounds like you have it right. What I did was get it lined up with all 3 teeth on there (can be a bitch to do just that part) then take the impact and start bumping it until it bites real good. I put the stock bolt back in to put the center of the puller on and as the pulley started coming off I would back the bolt out some.

Black/ Silver

Okay so I bought the craftsman one from sears, hopefully I can give it a try later today.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Forgot to answer your follow up question -- some pullers have a retainer assembly that encircles the fingers so that they cannot pop off.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Okay so I bought the craftsman one from sears, hopefully I can give it a try later today.
    I broke 2 pullers from autozone and harbor freight finally a craftsman one pulled it off. Just make sure that the puller is grabbing onto the 3 little "ears" near the crank on the inside of the pulley. Are you putting a stock one or underdrive on? Either way take the pulley that you are going to install and pop it into the oven at 200 degrees for about 20-30 minutes and then with oven mits grab it and it will literally just fall onto the crank, using a small propane torch and just heating the hub of the pulley for a few minutes works also.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    I broke 2 pullers from autozone and harbor freight finally a craftsman one pulled it off. Just make sure that the puller is grabbing onto the 3 little "ears" near the crank on the inside of the pulley. Are you putting a stock one or underdrive on? Either way take the pulley that you are going to install and pop it into the oven at 200 degrees for about 20-30 minutes and then with oven mits grab it and it will literally just fall onto the crank, using a small propane torch and just heating the hub of the pulley for a few minutes works also.
    Putting the stock pulley back on once I get to that part. I will try that oven idea. Thanks! Here is to hoping I have time to work on it tonight. I really want my car up in running soon.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

ive done 5 cam swaps on ls style cars and trucks and just use the one you can rent from oreillys and havent ever had an issue. and when putting it back on it just lightly tapped it on with a hammer then stuck a 2x4 across it and hammered till i could get around 10 turns on the bolt then let the impact do the work from there .

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    ive done 5 cam swaps on ls style cars and trucks and just use the one you can rent from oreillys and havent ever had an issue. and when putting it back on it just lightly tapped it on with a hammer then stuck a 2x4 across it and hammered till i could get around 10 turns on the bolt then let the impact do the work from there .
    I already removed it a while ago with a craftsman pulley puller and a impact wrench.

Thread Information