black
    01 ss z28 vertt

clicking noise at 1200 r.p.m's and up

I have developed a slight clicking noise at 1200 r.p.m's and up. No drivabilty issues or missfires associated with it. Can't seem to find where the noise is comming form. I used a mechanic's stethiscope with no luck. I believe it is comming from the valve train.

I pulled the valve cover's off and the appear fine. Also i re-torque the valve's which were all to spec's and check for a bent push rod, but if it were a bent push rod would the car have a missfire to it?? Also the rocker arms appeared to be normal. The car only has 44,000 miles on it. I am well aware that this is not normal as i have owned a couple ls1 engines. The only thing i have pinpointed is that it is on the driverside valve cover. How do you check if you have a bad lifter?

Just wounder if anyone else has had this experience to there car as well? Also it is not "piston slap". Any feed back would be appreciated. Here is a link to the video [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Frl8M1uXA[/ame]
    Last edited by smslyguy; 09-04-2010 at 12:35 PM.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

i had this same problem last week i think a lifter is going bad but that means i need to pull the head off to check.......my car only has 72,000 this should not be happining i pulled the cover off aswell and all my push rods seem fine,valves etc.... they all seem good but when i fire it up it sounds like the push rod has extra travel room and is slapping between the lifter and rocker......

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You have to pull off the heads to check the lifters. It is quite common to get valvetrain chatter or ticking in our cars. Mine does it more so when it is cold but will still do it in the low rpm's under load. I actually quieted down the chatter a lot by switching my oil over to peznoil's synthetic from mobil1. Compared to another's engine noise there amsoil made my car sound like a sewing machine.

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    i had this same problem last week i think a lifter is going bad but that means i need to pull the head off to check.......my car only has 72,000 this should not be happining i pulled the cover off aswell and all my push rods seem fine,valves etc.... they all seem good but when i fire it up it sounds like the push rod has extra travel room and is slapping between the lifter and rocker......
    Does your's sound like mine? I just posted the video.

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You have to pull off the heads to check the lifters. It is quite common to get valvetrain chatter or ticking in our cars. Mine does it more so when it is cold but will still do it in the low rpm's under load. I actually quieted down the chatter a lot by switching my oil over to peznoil's synthetic from mobil1. Compared to another's engine noise there amsoil made my car sound like a sewing machine.
    You actually have to remove the heads to get to the lifter's??? thought it was just the intake.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You could take off a valve cover and see if you can notice anything different while it runs.

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You could take off a valve cover and see if you can notice anything different while it runs.
    Kinda hard to do with the coil packs.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by smslyguy View Post
    Kinda hard to do with the coil packs.
    What makes you think anything in the engine bay is going to be easy?
    Yes you have to remove the heads on the ls-x

Thread Information