Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft

Maroon
    2000 Silverado

Camshaft

im wondering what kind of camshaft would give me the most hp/tq with stock heads, my z28 is my daily driver so it does have to be streetable and since im on this site often i figured id ask the subject matter experts, thanks for the help

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

tr224

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

tr228 with a 112 lsa. If you are spending the money I would go with a Thunder racing 228. If you are going through the hassle might as well make it worth it. With supporting mods you will be around the 390-410 hp range. (you will need headers, new exhaust, slp lid and maybe some different gears)

On a side note are you stationed at FT. Campbell? And your car looks outstanding!!!! If I might suggest A cowl hood would look even better!!
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 11-21-2007 at 03:09 PM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Maroon
    2000 Silverado

yep im here at ft campbell, thanks for the props on me car, i was thiking of the ulrta z hood

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by joker_01z28 View Post
    yep im here at ft campbell, thanks for the props on me car, i was thiking of the ulrta z hood
    Don't know what hood that is. I really like the cowl hoods on the Z's. What unit are you in? I was a Nightstalker back in the 90's. Spent lots of time in Clarksville, But I was stationed at HAAF, Ga. I was in Bco 3/160th S.O.A.R.(A). I had a good friend with family there as well.

Maroon
    2000 Silverado

i work at sabre, 15d

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

The cam I suggested will only work well with a new lid, headers and a aftermarket exhaust. Do you have a a-4 or a 6 speed? You might have to change your gearing as well and get a new convertor with your auto. If you do not plan on changing everything, a tr 224 might be better suited to you.
    Just depends on how much modding you intend to do.

Maroon
    2000 Silverado

my mods are pacesetter longtubes, pacesetter y pipe, slp cats, flowmaster cat back, k and n powershot filter, and im planning on getting a 3.73 rear ratio after talking with some of the folks on here

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

my mods are pacesetter longtubes, pacesetter y pipe, slp cats, flowmaster cat back, k and n powershot filter, and im planning on getting a 3.73 rear ratio after talking with some of the folks on here
    Ya, I would diffenately go with a thunder racing 228R with a 112 lsa. Great power curve and really streetable and has a nice lopey idle. Make sure you get a custom tune after install. Myself I am going with something a little more aggressive but mine is a summer only weekend warrior (cruiseing) and strip car.

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Go with a torquer v3!!! Or a TSP Magic Stick. You can gain between 50 and 90 rwhp with a good tune with these. Anything worth doing is worth doing big!

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Don't know what hood that is. I really like the cowl hoods on the Z's. What unit are you in? I was a Nightstalker back in the 90's. Spent lots of time in Clarksville, But I was stationed at HAAF, Ga. I was in Bco 3/160th S.O.A.R.(A). I had a good friend with family there as well.
    I believe he is talking about the same hood that I have.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
    Go with a torquer v3!!! Or a TSP Magic Stick. You can gain between 50 and 90 rwhp with a good tune with these. Anything worth doing is worth doing big!
    His is more of a daily driver with stock heads, The TR228 is perfect for what he is looking for. Bigger is not always better.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Oh OK, Nothing against your hood, it looks nice, But I like the cowl better.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Oh OK, Nothing against your hood, it looks nice, But I like the cowl better.
    I can understand your point of view. Currently I am on debate about if I prefer the cowl over mine or not, but this one came with the car so the free factor helps some I do like that it makes it a bit unique.

Maroon
    2000 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    yeah im lookin for that food, we have the same rims, whit kinda tires do you have?

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I am going with this cam, 230/230 .609/.604 with 111 lsa +2, It is a custom grind and more aggressive. You will lose some streetabity and I would not suggest it as a daily driver. I think the TR 228 is you best bet for your intentions.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I agree with Jays00ss, bigger is not always better. My cam is more aggressive than the 228, but my car is not my DD. I would even suggest that you consider a cam with a LSA of 114 for a DD. No, it won't have quite the lopey idle, but it'll be a bit more drivable.
    The most important thing is getting it tuned.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

yeah im lookin for that food, we have the same rims, whit kinda tires do you have?
    275/40/17 BFG G-Force KDW on the back, sports on the front. Just make sure you stay away from painting your car blue

As for cams I know my goals are a bit different, but I am thinking to keep my around 226-228 with a lift from around .570-.588 not to sure about what I am getting exactly, but I have till summer to figure out all of my details. Anything I think in that range on an LS1 should make the car come alive pretty well for a street machine.

Maroon
    2000 Silverado

my car is still gonna be SOM i really like the color, the reason i was aking about the cams is my wife wants to know what i wanted for our aniversary present. i really do appriciate yalls help, would there be a big differance between 112 and 114 lsa? besides the idle?

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

my car is still gonna be SOM i really like the color, the reason i was aking about the cams is my wife wants to know what i wanted for our aniversary present. i really do appriciate yalls help, would there be a big differance between 112 and 114 lsa? besides the idle?
    112 is more lopey at idle. A 114 is more like stock at idle. Myself I like a lopey Idle. I have always had a lopey cam in all my muscle cars. Everyone looks at a car with a lopey idle. For streetability issues its all up to you just make sure you get someone that knows how to tune your new cam.

Thread Information