cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

cammed ls1 question

does anyone have a problem with there cam loading up when you drive really slow? my problem is i live about an 1/8 of a mile down a dirt lane so in order to keep my car from getting dusty i have to drive really slow. my car is an m6 does that have anything to do with it? or does it have to do with the cam size? 224/230 582/592 114lsa? or both?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    does anyone have a problem with there cam loading up when you drive really slow? my problem is i live about an 1/8 of a mile down a dirt lane so in order to keep my car from getting dusty i have to drive really slow. my car is an m6 does that have anything to do with it? or does it have to do with the cam size? 224/230 582/592 114lsa? or both?
    loading up...? are you refering to the car surging/bucking in low rpm?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

im thinking he's referring to bucking/cam surge. just give the car some gas to stop the problem. are you asking because it's doing this violently or what? if its a concern to you, water to wash the dust off the car is gonna be cheaper than any drivetrain component you might have to replace down the road...

im an M6 w/a 224/224 @ 112 LSA cam and i have that when the car is just off idle RPM (1000rpm) and im going really slow. i just put the car in nuetral and let the car roll when that happens. once i need to get going faster, i put it back in gear and give it some gas...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that can be tuned out

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

it's not so bad now that we've had rain and the lane isn't real dry but i know in the summer it's gonna be a pain in the ass to keep it clean. in the summer with my other vehicles i have to practically crawl out of the lane to keep the dust down if i drive this car at 1,000 rpm's out of here i'll have to wash it every time i get back home. not to be whining or anything it just seems like the cam makes it so you cant drive but so slow. i didn't know if anyone else had this problem to.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

I run a larger cam in my m6.

in regards to surging, bucking or bogging out.

it comes down to 3 things.

1. proper tuning
    2. letting you car warm
    3. proper functioning TPS

-1 a good tuner can make your car run very smooth with that cam size
    -2 whenever you drive always let you car warm up first, especially now that you have a cam, let the valvesprings warm up.
    -3 if your throttle position sensor is crapping out, your idle and everything else can be out of whack when driving.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

it only surges when your trying to crawl by crawling i mean so slow you could almost keep up by walking beside it. before i put the cam in at sock i could idle with just barely braking and accomplishing that, now if i'm at 750 rpms at a roll it starts surging. i guess thats normal with a cam then right?

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

I have a 224/224 12lsa cam in my 99 m6, and i had no idea it was gunna do that i takes a while to get used to. I just put the clutch in till i have to move faster then let it come out.
    It really suxs when im in my school parking lot tryen to find a spot! Mine is still untuned though!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

it only surges when your trying to crawl by crawling i mean so slow you could almost keep up by walking beside it. before i put the cam in at sock i could idle with just barely braking and accomplishing that, now if i'm at 750 rpms at a roll it starts surging. i guess thats normal with a cam then right?

did oyu have it dyno tuned after the instal?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Yeah he was tuned by a good tuner (not me) but even still, it's an ill notion to think you will be moving (or able to) at 750 RPMs in first, regardless of tuning. That's idle RPM or lower; of course it's gonna buck. You'd have to ride the brake to keep it there, which you can't really do while coasting in first.

Long dirt driveway? Time to move; I know, I had and I did. It's that or put up with a CONSTANTLY filthy car.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I didn't realize you were talking that low on rpm's. Not a tuning issue.....driver issue.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Didn't mean to sound curt in the above post. If you had told the shop that did your swap that you wanted to creep out your driveway at 750 RPMs I am sure that they would have told you to keep that stock cam; that's a pretty tall order.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I didn't realize you were talking that low on rpm's. Not a tuning issue.....driver issue.
    i just noticed that also...

even a stock cam at that speed will surge now and then...

answer: go to a township meeting and have EVERY one that lives on that road go and bitch about it... hell even go out and dig some pot holes and get some pictures to take with you... tell them you want it paved...

then get an even bigger cam...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

answer: go to a township meeting and have EVERY one that lives on that road go and bitch about it... hell even go out and dig some pot holes and get some pictures to take with you... tell them you want it paved...

agreed.....

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Didn't mean to sound curt in the above post. If you had told the shop that did your swap that you wanted to creep out your driveway at 750 RPMs I am sure that they would have told you to keep that stock cam; that's a pretty tall order.
    dont get me wrong, like i said i'm not complaining i think he did a wonderful job with my swap and all, i was just wandering if other people had that problem too. and i didn't realize that the cam would make it do that.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

dont get me wrong, like i said i'm not complaining i think he did a wonderful job with my swap and all, i was just wandering if other people had that problem too. and i didn't realize that the cam would make it do that.
    every one will have that problem at such low rpms... there is nothing you can do but raise your rpms or clutch a little and give it more gas...

WHITE
    2000 Z28 M6

Da get some smaller gears 4.10 or 4.56s youll have to keep your foot on the to creep on the dirt

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

I was about to say that my stocker does that at 750rpms. Use your clutch more or even better, just get out and push it down the road.
    Sorry, but you're

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

how do cammed a4's do in situations like this, not necessarily just going slow down a dirt lane but stuck in traffic.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

how do cammed a4's do in situations like this, not necessarily just going slow down a dirt lane but stuck in traffic.
    Stalls help out. I know that I have some of the same surging issues if I am at the bottom of a gear and going slow (like 15 mph in 2nd) whenever I have that problem either give it some gas or just coast with the clutch in.

Thread Information