Thread: cam worth it?

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

cam worth it?

So, i would like to install a cam, but not sure if it will work with my set up now. I wasn't planning on doing any other mods but what I have now...+ a cam.

Currently i have LT's ,high flow cats, off road Y, PYPES muffler, SLP airlid w\ bellow, 160 thermo, throttle coolant bypass and tune. This is it though.

My question is: can I get a cam kit installed (that will add power) without me having to put a new clutch, rear end , new heads, etc.??? i wasn't planning on doing anything else to the car. I just kind of wanted a nice rumble with a little more power. It's kind of a cruiser and occasionally I like to smoke those cars that pull up beside me and start piping me. I've had it to the track once and pulled a 12.9.....not sure if that's good with the mods i have done or not.

So, Is this possible with my setup? ( I do know i'll need a re-tune done if i get a cam installed).

blue
    2001 trans am

you may want to do some more research on what a cam swap does, you wont need a new clutch, rear end, nor heads unless you put in a giant cam, even then you wont need new heads just the valve train components. If you get a small cam you can reuse them if i am not mistaken. So to answer your question yes you can do a cam swap with your current mods. But i am no expert im sure someone else will chime in here with more knowledge.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

You'll be fine as long as you are dead set on your goals with the car, but keep in mind that to do a cam swap right you'll want to go ahead and upgrade your valve springs as necessary, and get a tune. Also replacing the pushrods is always a good idea and either replacing the timing chain or upgrading to at least a LS2 chain is a good idea. This isnt a cheap mod but definitely worth it. There's a sticky on cam swaps on this forum

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you're sceptical about your clutch holding up I would change it out..

Especially if you run it hard on a regular basis..

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

thanks for the info guys. I've been researching all weekend. Looks like it's going to be a pricey mod, but everyone is saying it's so worth it. I appreciate the help.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you're an auto you really should match a cam selection to an aftermarket stall. If you're a stick, typically cars with cams like a lower gear like a 4.10.

At minimal, you should upgrade your valve springs, push rods, timing chain and oil pump regardless if you're an auto or stick.

If you're an auto though, I'd highly recommend a stall with any cam swap.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If you're an auto you really should match a cam selection to an aftermarket stall. If you're a stick, typically cars with cams like a lower gear like a 4.10.

At minimal, you should upgrade your valve springs, push rods, timing chain and oil pump regardless if you're an auto or stick.

If you're an auto though, I'd highly recommend a stall with any cam swap.
    This plus if you have an auto some cams without an after market stall will actually break through the brakes.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

You can definately cam the car without upgrading the clutch, rear end , and heads. Call a reputable vendor texas speed, ls1speed, thunderracing etc. and they should beable to steer you in the right direction.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Thread Information