Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Cam won't go back in.....

So as some of you know I had to pull my cam out to clean the cavity because of metal fragments. Now that I am done getting them out I can't seem to get my cam back in. It seems some of the lifters are drooping down a bit just so it is in the way of the cam. Is there some way to pull them back up? Not sure how they aren't all up since I have dowels that should be holding them up.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black/ Silver

I found that I could do pen magnets but I can't find anywhere that sells them, anyone know? I guess the other option would be to pull the heads.

The dowels are to keep you from completely dropping a lifter, but they don't always necessarily hold them up high enough for the camshaft to slide in.
    Usually this method is meant for you to work quickly and stick a new cam back in,,,not meant to hold for hours while you clean. Those plastic trays aren't a sure fire way to hold those lifters. With miles on them they wear like everything else. So the lifters tend to slide down slowly. Luckily you had the dowels in there or you would have a lifter in the oil pan.

Your best bet at this point is to get a pin magnet. Easy to find, I see them at auto parts stores, Sears etc...and fish that down the pushrod hole to reach the offending lifters and gradually work the camshaft in there one at a time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....what fbj said. I would also caution you on working that cam in and out....be careful not to ding a bearing in there.

Black/ Silver

Okay thanks, I will check Sears. The magnet should be about the same size as my pushrods right?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's about the size of an ink pen and then it telescopes and has a pocket clip on it just like an ink pen.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if you have a harbor freight close by I bet they have them too

yep $2.99

18" Telescoping Magnet

Black/ Silver

Yes there is one near where I work I will grab that after work then.

black
    2001 camaro ss

another thing to do in the future is once you have put the dowels in to hold the lifters put all of your pushrods back in so that they are just resting on top of the lifters and give the cam a few quick 1/4 turns and make sure non of your pushrods move. if they do, then you know your lifters are still sitting on top of the cam and you need to re-adjust. (I did this to make sure my homemade brakeline lifter tools were doing the trick)

Thread Information