Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Cam/Valvespring Change= NO VALVE FLOAT!

What up LS1's.....OK since my project has been completed (Installation of TSP 224R cam on 114lsa, 918 springs LT's etc......) I've noticed a HUGE difference in how my vehicle accelerates in terms of EFFORT. It seems with the new stronger harder springs it isn't having to work so hard to increase rpms....As an example: 4,000-6,000rpms feels AS SMOOTH as 2,000-4,000rpms with the OLD springs.....My LS1 is a 98' Model year so the stock springs were WEAK and had to have lost some of their stiffness over time.

Has anyone else experienced this? My old springs nearly gave out around 5600 and you could FEEL them struggling.........Your thoughts..........

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Additionally, what type of MAX RPM can I expect with the 918's & this set up??? What would be a SAFE number (rpm wise) to take my vehicle to???

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Additionally, what type of MAX RPM can I expect with the 918's & this set up??? What would be a SAFE number (rpm wise) to take my vehicle to???
    Depends on what your cam is rated at for max power/tq. Best case is have a dyno tune done and fine your specs. For instance, my cam is rated at max power 6,800 rpms so I had Frost bump up my rev limiter to 6,800 and shift at 6,500 rpms all day with the 918's with no problem. Hope that helped ya sir
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Talking

Wow!!! 6800????!!!! That's crazy & good to know!... I had no idea the 918's were strong enough for that type of RPM. I guess I will check the specs for my cam now!! Thanks for the info.....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Wow!!! 6800????!!!! That's crazy & good to know!... I had no idea the 918's were strong enough for that type of RPM. I guess I will check the specs for my cam now!! Thanks for the info.....
    Springs are rated on lift more then RPM's. The 918's are now rated at .625 lift which my T2 is rated at .598 lift max. The best way is to dyno, as long as your car is making power, you shouldn't have a problem

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Springs are rated on lift more then RPM's. The 918's are now rated at .625 lift which my T2 is rated at .598 lift max. The best way is to dyno, as long as your car is making power, you shouldn't have a problem
    Ok thanks. Looks like the range for my cam is 1400-6300 rpms. Actually, the stock rev limiter is set @ 6200 so I guess that will suffice.
    Last edited by jb3golf; 01-31-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Ok thanks. Looks like the range for my cam is 1400-6300 rpms. Actually, the stock rev limiter is set @ 6200 so I guess that will suffice.
    You want to run your car a little above the max power so when you shift, your cars rpms drop into the sweet spot. Anything over bolt ons I would get dyno tuned asap You will get better MPG, power, durablility, etc.... From what I have read/heard, our stock tachs are a hair slow compared to actually engine rpms

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    You want to run your car a little above the max power so when you shift, your cars rpms drop into the sweet spot. Anything over bolt ons I would get dyno tuned asap You will get better MPG, power, durablility, etc.... From what I have read/heard, our stock tachs are a hair slow compared to actually engine rpms
    Oh......Ok. Thanks. Actually I just ordered the LS6 intake so maybe I'll install that piece and then contact the local LS1 Tuner!! I'm hoping to get at LEAST a 10 rwhp increase over the LS1 intake considering the full bolt-on/cam set up I have. Thanks again....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Oh......Ok. Thanks. Actually I just ordered the LS6 intake so maybe I'll install that piece and then contact the local LS1 Tuner!! I'm hoping to get at LEAST a 10 rwhp increase over the LS1 intake considering the full bolt-on/cam set up I have. Thanks again....
    With a cam, the LS6 will help you for sure, no questions asked. The more stuff you have done, the better the intake will help Depending on how your local tuners are, a Frost tune may be the best but I can't argue in either defense

Thread Information