Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cam too big?

black
    2001 Camaro SS

cam too big?

Okay i'm puttin a cam in my ss and it's my dd. i just want something reliable that i don't have to worry about that also has torque under the curve. tell me what ya'll think.
    Its the vengeance racing VRX5 cam... it says it's their #1 cam in daily driven ls2 cars so i'm guessing it's the same driveablitly with ls1s.
    Its specs are 236/238 .601/.605 113lsa
    this is my first cam and i want good power and torque, and not just a donkey dick cam. Thanks for the input

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

That would be too much for me as a daily driver.
    Some can handle it though.

Tune is key.

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

that CAN be daily driven. but you will definitly notice torque loss. mine is smaller than that yet and i have some drivability issues (232/234 595/598 113). if you want a true DD cam go with a 226 cam or something like that. they make good streetable power, and keep that low end torque for a fun street car. the bigger cams are more for racing. you loose some of that grin factor because the cars dont feel as peppy down low.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

i see what ure sayin with the grin factor. Do you think it's possible to get into the 400s with a 226 cam and bolt ons?

i mean that's not my only goal but i am kinda shootin for that.
    Last edited by chevyss1234; 07-07-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    i see what ure sayin with the grin factor. Do you think it's possible to get into the 400s with a 226 cam and bolt ons?
    Yes.

But I don't look at peak numbers. Under the curve is where it is at.

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

maybe on a dynojet

otherwise probably not. i just had my car dyno'd at 385rwhp with full boltons with the cam i just told u about. i still ahve the ls1 intake manifold (and my clutch was slipping about 1k off at redline) so i have a little more power to pick up on the mustang dyno... but i didnt hope for much into the 400s on my setup the way it is.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

i mean that's not my only goal but i am kinda shootin for that.
    This is what my VRx3 (226/228) cam does. I call it close enough to 400. Once I get a clean throttle body that is ported through should be right there (on a Mustang dyno it would be lower of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Yes.

But I don't look at peak numbers. Under the curve is where it is at.

It really is more about how the car applies power then what is the highest number you can pull up on a dyno. I also think this is a great DD cam since I drive the car almost everyday and it sees on average at least 1000 miles a month.
    Last edited by Bottesini; 07-07-2008 at 04:22 PM.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

wow those are nice man. What are your mods? just wondering.... and it still retains the low end torque... the "grin factor"
    The general info i'm gathering is the vrx5 might be too much for a daily driver if i still want a good under the curve power band... which is what i love about my car... any cams ya'll reccommend that i would like more? Mr. Luos what do you think?

Here are the mods i'm planning-
    Lt's (already ordered race pacestters and ory)
    Lid (i can't get a good reccomendation on one that doesn't rub so i'm gonna go mti or slp)
    Ported TB (bought my buddies for $40)
    Cutout (got it)
    Engine mounts (i think i'll need em)
    Cam- i'm thinkin real hard about which one... i don't know which one i want

black
    2001 Camaro SS

Bottesini you just have boltons and a cam right?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

228R from TSP.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

wow those are nice man. What are your mods? just wondering.... and it still retains the low end torque... the "grin factor"
    The general info i'm gathering is the vrx5 might be too much for a daily driver if i still want a good under the curve power band... which is what i love about my car... any cams ya'll reccommend that i would like more? Mr. Luos what do you think?

Here are the mods i'm planning-
    Lt's (already ordered race pacestters and ory)
    Lid (i can't get a good reccomendation on one that doesn't rub so i'm gonna go mti or slp)
    Ported TB (bought my buddies for $40)
    Cutout (got it)
    Engine mounts (i think i'll need em)
    Cam- i'm thinkin real hard about which one... i don't know which one i want

I have the SLP lid, it works fine. i did have to open up the ID to fit the mass airflow sensor. other than that, it fits well. i tried the granatelli lid and it had a bad fit. the bottom of the lid scraped the radiator cover and wouldnt clip into the 4 pin at the back.

I am also looking into the pacesetter LTs, ORY, and a cam in the mid 220's. are you replacing the rods and springs too?
    let me know how the VRx5 cam is on the street and autocross.

Thanks,
    Ray

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

i do mostly roll racing and digs, not much autocross, but if i go with the vrx5 i'll let you know how it is. thing is it's my first cam so i'm tryin to find a good balance between big and reasonable... haha... i'm doin it myself too cause my uncles got a shop in atlanta. don't ya'll agree i need new motor mounts?
    i'll look at that cam Mr. Lous thanks

By the way i wanna do all this work myself as a good learning experience... that's not a terrible idea right?

oh and specter does this mean i'll need a new clutch? (Mines an ss so i have the z06 clutch)
    Last edited by chevyss1234; 07-07-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You do know what is required to install a cam?
    Valvesprings, pushrods, etc...

Mid-range cams (like the TSP 228r) will do well for dig and roll. Solid powerband.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

yeah i know what's required, i'm gonna get new lifters too after i do some more research, and i have all the tools i need at the shop i'll be at, it's just the biggest thing i've ever don myself to my car was change out the water pump...

And will i need a new oil pump, that's one thing i'm not sure about and i'm having trouble finding an answer.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Lifters. Change those out when you go with heads.
    Otherwise, the stockers will be great.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

i do mostly roll racing and digs, not much autocross, but if i go with the vrx5 i'll let you know how it is. thing is it's my first cam so i'm tryin to find a good balance between big and reasonable... haha... i'm doin it myself too cause my uncles got a shop in atlanta. don't ya'll agree i need new motor mounts?
    i'll look at that cam Mr. Lous thanks

By the way i wanna do all this work myself as a good learning experience... that's not a terrible idea right?

oh and specter does this mean i'll need a new clutch? (Mines an ss so i have the z06 clutch)
    This cam looks like a great alternative. (Vengeance Racing VRX4 Camshaft - 228/230 .588/.592 112 LSA. 1900-6700 RPM Power Band.)

i dont want to go into the 230's for a DD car. and i want to keep the mid power up for the "Thrill".

in regards to the rods and springs. i have read that any time you put a big cam in you "Should" replace the stock rods and upgrade the springs because of the extra lift youre getting.

Thoughts?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    in regards to the rods and springs. i have read that any time you put a big cam in you "Should" replace the stock rods and upgrade the springs because of the extra lift youre getting.

Thoughts?
    Pushrods and valvesprings.
    Pushrods you can leave stock...if you want to bend them. The hardened ones are good when you run a cam because the seat pressure is higher.

Valvesprings. You HAVE to swap out with any cam larger than stock. The stock valvesprings barely handle the stock cams lift.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

yeah man i've heard the same about springs and rods, i'm definitly upgrading it just makes sense with the higher revs. and i feel yah man i definitly want that kick that pins everyone back and stops all conversation for the moment. lol "so today we were SHIT DUDE!"

black
    2001 Camaro SS

i'm researchin that 228r and i'm likin it a lot by the way good call i'ma keep lookin
    haha my friends like "watch all Mr. Lous's videos and do what he says" LMAO
    Last edited by chevyss1234; 07-07-2008 at 06:21 PM.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

yeah i'm sold on the tsp 228r i'm gonna order it now

anyone know of a place where i can get it cheaper... prolly not but just wondering...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information