Pewter
    00 Formula M6

cam swap check list

i am getting ready to start ordering all the components for the cam swap let me know if im missing anyhting.
    -MTI X1 cam
    -MTI 7.4" custom chromoly pushrods
    -PAC Racing Valve Spring Kit - good to .600 lift
    -LS6 oil pump
    -LS2 timing set
    Also can anyone give me the links for the ls6 oil pum and ls2 timing set. any help will be apreciated thanks
    G2 lid,removed EGR/AIR,LS6intake,Shaner S3 Throttlebody,Edelbrock Ti-Tech coated LT's,Lanes 3" TD's with Flo-Pro Twister mufflers,Textralia Exo-Skel Clutch,Adjustable LCA & PHB,UMI boxed SFC,Pro 5.0 shortened 1",Raptor Shift Light,HPE Tune Made 359/361 through a slipping clutch,cats,and catback.

tsp has a ported ls6 oil pump for 140 i believe, ls2 timing chain you can pick up almost anywhere, cheap too

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

i think i got my oil pump from lingenfelter on ebay. was alot cheaper than tsp

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Are you ordering a package from anybody for the cam and springs? Make sure the spring kit comes with valve seats, retainers, locks, and stem seals. Depending on the mileage of the car, you might want to get a whole new timing set for high mileage engines. Since your swapping out the cam, you might want to go ahead and get an UD pulley.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    ...Depending on the mileage of the car, you might want to get a whole new timing set for high mileage engines....

I like the (as many others do) the LS2 chain as a replacement. I have seen the gears on many a 100K+ mile engine and they always look fine, the chain stretches though and causes obvious issues. It never hurts to replace the whole set, but many people don't realize that, for example, the double roller sets sold all over the place won't clear the front cover. Also just doing the chain eliminates pulling and replacing the crank gear, which can be an issue for some people as well.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

The double roller is definitely not worth the time it takes to get it in and get the timing cover to fit. I've got a single LS2 chain and it works fine. I spin to 7k rpm's with dual valve springs and a 644 lift on the intake.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    Make sure the spring kit comes with valve seats, retainers, locks, and stem seals.
    If he's using single springs they don't necesarily need any of that.

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

hers the link to the cam, springs, and pushrods http://www.motorsporttech.com/Conten..._HeadsCams.htm

98 Formula
    06 duramax

here's a thought also. If you have to take the balancer pulley off why not put an under drive pulley on in it's place? They're relatively cheap but I know how budgets go. You have to pull off the balancer anyhow, I'd find a way to throw an under drive pulley back on it.

I agree with Frost and would just do the LS2 chain.

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

[QUOTE=0rion;1546766]here's a thought also. If you have to take the balancer pulley off why not put an under drive pulley on in it's place? They're relatively cheap but I know how budgets go. You have to pull off the balancer anyhow, I'd find a way to throw an under drive pulley back on it.

yeah im going to wait another week or two so i can put an UD pulley on it, and im for sure going to go with the ls2 timin chain

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

I'm in a similar situation, I can't afford an Under drive pulley, I'd love to put a fluid dampyr in it but not much cash to spare right now.

What gaskets will be needed. ( valve cover? timing cover water pump??? thanks for the info! great thread.

Thread Information