Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In need of another LS1 00blacktransam112's Avatar

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

Cam Swap. Am I forgetting anything?

I am going to start oredering parts soon for my cam swap this winter while she's hiberneting. Im thinking about going with the Torquer 2. It's a DD car that never sees the track, just the occasional "roll race". I don't have all that much money to spend but here;s what I was thinking

Torquer V.2 cam
    pushrods
    PRC double springs
    tit. retainers
    ^ (the Texas-Speed cam kit) ^
    stock rockers
    LS7 lifters
    LS2 timing chain
    ported oil pump
    LS6 intake
    LT's
    custom cat y-pipe
    ported stock throttle body

already have:
    Loudmouth
    lid, bellows, MAF
    FTP ram air

is there anything i'm forgetting other than gaskets? and thoughts about the LS7 lifters? and stock rockers? should I just get another set of roller rockers?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not sure that I would pull the heads just to do the lifters.....I would probably use that money and go with an under drive pulley. Do you have plans to do the heads down the road at some point?

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

i dont plan on pulling the heads. but yes i do have plans for them down the road but that probably wont be for a few years until she gets a 408 iron block and a big honkin turbo. cam swap will satisfy my go fast bug for now and i really wana be able to beat this pesky cobra. do you think i could hit 400 rwhp with this combo?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

only way to do the lifters is pull the heads so that answers your lifter question. Definitely could hit 400 with that cam....stock heads will be holding you back though. Probably be close I would think.

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

o. i didnt realize that. would my stock lifters still be good enough. i have 73,000 on the clock. i know that the heads will choke it back but until the money situation gets a little better then 241's will have to do for now. thats good. i'd really like to have close to 400. i know everyone on here says that you should have E.T. goals but its not a track car and i wanna be able to say its got 400 at the wheels.(or at least damn close to it)
    00 Trans Am:LS1-M6-SLP loudmouth 1-Lid-Bellows-CAI kit-85mm MAF-B&M ripper shifter-Torque Arm-LCA-Panhard Bar-STB-EGR AIR delete

This winter: Torquer V.2-LS6 intake-LT's-Monster clutch-Custom y-pipe-and a really good tune

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Let's say you did the lifters you would need new head gaskets, and head bolts. You'll be close but I don't think so unless you stick a fan up that ram air while on the dyno

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

i know that id need gaskets and bolts if i was to take them off. i just didnt realize that the heads havta come off to change em. il make sure to try your fan idea while im at it. and maybe i should put some NOS stickers and huge exhaust tip on before i go to the dyno. that would be good for probably 10 hp right?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

ARP crank bolt. OEM one is TTY. You would have thought of this anyway but fluids.

You will also need a good valvespring tool like Crane or Vinci and a pulley puller for the crank pulley. Already asuming you have a torque wrench.....

With the LS6 IM you will also need to block off the EGR. Just use a dremmel to grind the bottom of the intake to clear the coolant crossover tubes or plug them......

I also replaced knock sensors and harnesses when my 90/90 went on.....never a bad idea especially on 98's like mine.

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    ARP crank bolt. OEM one is TTY. You would have thought of this anyway but fluids.

You will also need a good valvespring tool like Crane or Vinci and a pulley puller for the crank pulley. Already asuming you have a torque wrench.....

With the LS6 IM you will also need to block off the EGR. Just use a dremmel to grind the bottom of the intake to clear the coolant crossover tubes or plug them......

I also replaced knock sensors and harnesses when my 90/90 went on.....never a bad idea especially on 98's like mine.

ARP crank bolt is a good idea. never wouldve thought of that.
    valvespring tool and torque wrench i already have.
    I already did EGR and AIR delete and il just plug the lines.
    and the knock sensors got replaced in may.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by 00BlackTranny112 View Post
    ARP crank bolt is a good idea. never wouldve thought of that.
    valvespring tool and torque wrench i already have.
    I already did EGR and AIR delete and il just plug the lines.
    and the knock sensors got replaced in may.

Good luck and enjoy your new power

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    not sure that I would pull the heads just to do the lifters.....I would probably use that money and go with an under drive pulley. Do you have plans to do the heads down the road at some point?
    With 73k though...? I dunno that would have to be up to you, I got comp lifters due to the fact that at the time when I was doing a cam swap I had read things about about LS7 lifters failing on people so I opted to go with the comp's instead. LS7 lifters are the cheapest aftermarket performance lifters you can buy and im assuming the people who had these failures were also too cheap (or just didn;t know) to invest $36 dollars to buy new lifter trays to ensure their new lifters didn't spin. It was about 50/50 in the few threads I had read but I decided not to take the chance. Of course you could go with Morrell's if you feel like shelling out 500 for lifters...

http://russian-brides-bes
    insorned73

Cam Swap Am I forgetting anything

what are sum good heads and cam packages....im lookin at texas speed , afr, or demon...if you no of anything better or have any suggestions let me no

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

Quote Originally Posted by insorned73 View Post
    what are sum good heads and cam packages....im lookin at texas speed , afr, or demon...if you no of anything better or have any suggestions let me no
    Texas Speed has some good packages. As far as heads go AFR is the best by far. just about anybody will tell you that. they make ungodly power but they are also not cheap in the least. As far as middle of the road heads, i would say PRC or TEA. trick flow makes an okay head cam package but i would say that if you have the money, dont even think twice about AFR's. look around online. you could call texas speed and talk to them. they should lead you in the right direction. build a package to fit your needs and budget. an off the shelf package is not always the way to go. BTW welcome to the forum

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

i know that id need gaskets and bolts if i was to take them off. i just didnt realize that the heads havta come off to change em. il make sure to try your fan idea while im at it. and maybe i should put some NOS stickers and huge exhaust tip on before i go to the dyno. that would be good for probably 10 hp right?
    Were all so proud of you for saying that, put some stickers over the radiator while you are at it.

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Were all so proud of you for saying that, put some stickers over the radiator while you are at it.
    i thought you'd like that one. il keep that in mind though. should i use big stickers or a lot of little ones?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

i thought you'd like that one. il keep that in mind though. should i use big stickers or a lot of little ones?
    Put a really big one on the windshield. Best mix of power/aerodynamic properties out there just ask Ricky Bobby

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

i'll put a big giant JDM HONDA sticker on the windsheild

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    With 73k though...? I dunno that would have to be up to you, I got comp lifters due to the fact that at the time when I was doing a cam swap I had read things about about LS7 lifters failing on people so I opted to go with the comp's instead. LS7 lifters are the cheapest aftermarket performance lifters you can buy and im assuming the people who had these failures were also too cheap (or just didn;t know) to invest $36 dollars to buy new lifter trays to ensure their new lifters didn't spin. It was about 50/50 in the few threads I had read but I decided not to take the chance. Of course you could go with Morrell's if you feel like shelling out 500 for lifters...
    that's why I asked if he had plans for heads down the road. I'd rock stock lifters with 73k on them for a while. I wouldn't pull the heads just to swap lifters if I knew at some point I was going to do the heads anyhow.

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's why I asked if he had plans for heads down the road. I'd rock stock lifters with 73k on them for a while. I wouldn't pull the heads just to swap lifters if I knew at some point I was going to do the heads anyhow.
    When I first started modding I ran the TV2 on lifters/ stock rockers that had 98,000 miles on them and they were fine. They lasted longer than them rod bearings did!! I've been running LS7 lifters for over 2 years now with no problems. You might want to buy you a high output stereo.
    Cause when you add them long tubes to that loudmouth your gonna wake the dead.
    Last edited by PFM; 12-04-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

loudmouth will be gone when the cam and lt's come. il prob put muffler in place of the resonator right now but il do magnaflow when the money regenerates. il run it with the loudmouth for a couple weeks though. just for fun

p.s. how did you like the v.2?

Thread Information