Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

Cam with Stock Heads?

Is it worth just getting a cam without heads ? I know it is best to buy them together but i dont really want to fork over the $$$$$ for the heads. Is there a cam that will give me good gains with the stock heads, if so what one do you recomend?

Thanks
    Joe

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by a338566 View Post
    Is it worth just getting a cam without heads ? I know it is best to buy them together but i dont really want to fork over the $$$$$ for the heads. Is there a cam that will give me good gains with the stock heads, if so what one do you recomend?

Thanks
    Joe
    Yes it is worth it. I know many (myself included) that run cam only. Which cam for you is too broad a question, only you can answer that. Depends how radical you want it and how you drive the car. (daily driver, track car, etc.)

green
    98 formula

the stock ls1 heads flow pretty well just have them ported and polished when you do the cam

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

where do you send heads to get them ported and polished? Is that something a local machine shop would do or is it more specialized than that ?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

where do you send heads to get them ported and polished? Is that something a local machine shop would do or is it more specialized than that ?
    I wouldn't bother doing that. Ported LS6 heads are availible from Texas Speed for only like $1200 and are proven performers. I've got friends with cam only cars that go deep in the 11s anyway.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Yes it is worth it. And dont bother porting ur stock heads. Might as well save up a bit and get a set of LS6 heads. No point in going through all that trouble, gonna cost a few bucks more but worth it. As far as a cam, i have personally seen with my 2 eyes, and MS4 WS6 with bolt ons only crack an 11.5 in Englishtown. A good set of heads, and ull run 10's all day loooooong

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

This car is not a Daily Driver, but it needs to be streetable, i know very little about cams. Any suggestions

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Is this an auto or manual? Are you gonna race it at the track?

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

i plan on very little track time. mostly spirited driving on the road i have a truck for a DD. I have an 01 TA ls1 manual 6 speed w/ pacesetter long tubes, tsp true duals, no cats, predator tune(when cam is installed i will get a dyno tune), slp lid and kn filter, plugs and wires. as well as sfc and lca.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well I always say build the drivetrain 1st with a good clutch like a Mcleod and a better rear end before getting into the motor but having said that I'd go with the Texas Speed Torquer V2 on a 112' lsa. http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=168&catid=44 Great performer and sound but not as big as some of the bigger cams out there. Gonna need the Texas Speed PRC dual springs with it and hardened pushrods. They sell it all as a kit.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Def a good choice, make surte you upgrade your valvetrain and your clutch, fuck heads i say with a good port and polich on ls1 heads you can get 20-30rwhp. Unless your gonna get some really nice heads but if you dotn have the money i would jsut get yours ported and polished.

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

What are your feelings on the T rex cam from Thunder racing? I went to their site and it looks like it gets pretty good results, Is this a streetable cam?

green
    98 formula

just remember you are the one that has to live with the car and everyone has an opinion wheather they know the facts or think they do just use name brand parts and try to buy as a kit good luck

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

MS3!!! Thats what I have in my Cam-only car. Its at the Dyno now getting tune so I don't have numbers yet but will post them as soon as I get them.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

if you want to save a bit of money and still have good flowing heads then yes it is a good idea to port and polish stock heads. ls6 heads are 1200, and im pretty sure you can get the stockers ported for substantially less than that.

h/c combo i would go with the torquer 2. its on the medium side as far as cams go and will easily carry you into the 11s with the right suspension and a good 60. i mean easily. try to keep the duration at or under 230 for streetability, as even the torquer 2 is pushing it, but with a tune and a narrower idle you will be fine.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The T Rex is about as big a cam that will fit in the LS1 as far as piston to valve clearance goes. I wouldn't call it too streatable.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    The T Rex is about as big a cam that will fit in the LS1 as far as piston to valve clearance goes. I wouldn't call it too streatable.
    whos talking about the t rex? it aint me. im not exactly a fan of cam only. im not exactly a fan of a 950 rpm idle. i dont exactly give a shit about dyno numbers.

there fore you wont ever hear me talk about the t rex, unless i build a 427 or something radical, and then...
    you still wont here me talk about the t rex.

never mind...the OP mentioned it...damnit
    Last edited by secondgearscratch; 07-27-2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: stupidity

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    whos talking about the t rex? it aint me. im not exactly a fan of cam only. im not exactly a fan of a 950 rpm idle. i dont exactly give a shit about dyno numbers.

there fore you wont ever hear me talk about the t rex, unless i build a 427 or something radical, and then...
    you still wont here me talk about the t rex.

never mind...the OP mentioned it...damnit
    Umm, the original poster in post #12. Not everyone here is talking to you.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

For a car that isn't a track only car, I like the TR224 type cams. Or the TSP 228R.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    For a car that isn't a track only car, I like the TR224 type cams. Or the TSP 228R.
    That's what I got, yes very streetable. For cars that aren't daily drivers either, decided I want a lil bigger. It's coming out next week. Custom grind goin in.

Thread Information