Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Cam on a stock engine? Yes? no?

First off, is it do-able? Mostly want a cam just for the sake of having a cam, and maybe a bit of a lopey idle would be cool. However, no tuning shops around, and a handheld would be my only option on tuning as far as that goes. Do they make a mild enough cam for a stock motor without aftermarket heads and without headers? Performance gain isn't really the kick i'm after, although i'm sure it's inevitable.

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

First off is it an automatic or manual transmission. Second if I was you I would talk to Comp, Lunati, or Crane and get the answer direct from them. I am sure to get the most out of the new cam it would need to be tuned, but if the cam were mild enough you probably could get away without it. With that said I would rule a new cam out because the cost and lack of a significant performance gain. The cam itself will run a few hundred bucks. Then if you do anything else the cost only goes up and I wouldn't recommend doing it for less than 30 horses. At that amount of gain you are basically only going to have bragging rights, but you are asking for trouble unless the you live in a very small town. But if you are interested in it that much then I would go the custom ground route from any of the above. I know Lunati and Comp have customer service numbers they will talk to you and see what they can do for you. I would think Crane does too. My first choice would be Lunati but this is all just my $0.02. I have two head and cam LS1's one with a Comp cam and the other with a Lunati cam. If you are interested you can look at them in the link in my sig. Hope this helps.
    Nevermind the first question I see you are an A4. That is only going to complicate the issue. But you always have the mail order tune route if all of the dynos are too far. I would ask people if they know of a reputable shop within reasonable distance and then that would allow you to do a big enough cam, get the most out of it, and iron out the shifting.
    Last edited by 2001hawk; 04-17-2007 at 05:28 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    First off, is it do-able? Mostly want a cam just for the sake of having a cam, and maybe a bit of a lopey idle would be cool. However, no tuning shops around, and a handheld would be my only option on tuning as far as that goes. Do they make a mild enough cam for a stock motor without aftermarket heads and without headers? Performance gain isn't really the kick i'm after, although i'm sure it's inevitable.
    yes.

for the LT1 motor, there is a few options. i don't know of a handheld tuner out there capable of handling a cam for the LT1.

call up www.vincihighperformance.com , as well as comp, crane, www.thunderacing.com
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

youre going to want to get a mild lift cam if youre going to leave everything stock. if you have a bigger cam and the heads dont flow enough youre gonna choke the poor devil out. i would say go the cheap route and at the very least port the stock heads. not very expensive to get done (free if you do it yourself) and it will make a world of difference.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Well, this isn't something I plan to do in the near future at any rate, I really appreciate the replies. I figured I'd have taken more crap than that to be entirely honest. I'd really like to build a high horse motor, but being auto and first ACTUAL high performance car, I don't see it happening with my income and plans in the near future.

Either way, its nice to know that its do-able, just not as easy as the old smallblock 350 was.

Thread Information