Thread: Cam search

Smokem if you got em B4C Camaro's Avatar

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

Cam search

I currently have a 2001 B4C Camaro. Unfortunately in TN. we have to get our vehicles to pass emmission each year before they are registered. There in is my problem...I would like to do a cam swap this winter but not sure what would be my best options. I have an LS6 cam out of a '04 GM crate motor that I could swap out but not sure if it would help me out any. Right now the only mods are BBK Throttle Body and an SLP Lid. I want more power w/o sacrificing being able to get my car registered. Future plans for headers and a CAT back (hopefully later this winter)Any helpful advice would be appreciated...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

You should do your full exhaust prior to a cam swap. With a proper PCM computer tune you can still pass OBDII inspections/emissions even with full exhaust and a rumbly cam. Check out Frost site sponsor, he does mail order tunes for a great price.

The LS6 cam is too small for all the work/cost of a cam swap and you will probably be disappointed with the power gains. Do lots of research, check out dyno and 1/4 mile gains from others experiences, listend to sound clips on Youtube, and check out aftermarket cams too.

People have different tastes in cams, and different goals. You need to choose the right setup for you.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Your lucky you even get to install long tubes, here in cali that is a no. The biggest is the 224 on a 114lsa. Or if you keep the manifolds you get a cheater, 218/224 115lsa, or 215/230 117lsa, etc.

2000 Camaro B4C

i would definatly stay around the 224 range and on a 114las to hide the power....but a full exhaust is a must do before a cam imo....also nice B4C very rare around here
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

Thanks to all for your responses...I am going to look into which cam to go with that will fit me and the local emmissions. I am going to install a set of shorty headers also..I know LTs are the way to go but have to keep CATS and I'm on a rather tight budget (son starts college next year)
    Lovin It2001 B4C BBK Throttle body, SLP Lid, Strano Springs

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by B4C Camaro View Post
    Thanks to all for your responses...I am going to look into which cam to go with that will fit me and the local emmissions. I am going to install a set of shorty headers also..I know LTs are the way to go but have to keep CATS and I'm on a rather tight budget (son starts college next year)
    Look closely at your state laws, if it just says you need cats you can get long tubes with the cats, if it says they have to stay in the stock location like Ca then yeah I understand. Shorties don't do squat for the money except save a few pounds.

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Look closely at your state laws, if it just says you need cats you can get long tubes with the cats, if it says they have to stay in the stock location like Ca then yeah I understand. Shorties don't do squat for the money except save a few pounds.
    Not sure about CAT location will check into that...I do know they look to see you have them...I am going to do more research to find what will work for me
    Last edited by B4C Camaro; 10-20-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

Well from what I've been told you are not supposed to relocate your CATs...what I am hearing shorties arent worth the effort or money...so I guess I'm looking for the best cam to run with basically a stock motor and running gear, other than BBK throttle, body and CAT Back

2000 Camaro B4C

i would look into the thunder racing cheateR cam its designed to work with mostly stock parts

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28boy2000 View Post
    i would look into the thunder racing cheateR cam its designed to work with mostly stock parts
    possible link?

2000 Camaro B4C

cant post links to non sponsors....pm'd

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

check some f-bodys in your state cats in your y pipe should pass with long tubes in md same deal as long as there there and the CEL is off it passes here we just turn the codes off and no cats cause they honestly don't look just check the light

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

They do a mirror check in our state for CATs and I've been told they have to be in stock location..I've been trying to find it in writting but havent found it yet...also Z28boy2000 can you PM me the link for the cheater cam also..thanks

2000 Camaro B4C

gotchya

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by B4C Camaro View Post
    They do a mirror check in our state for CATs and I've been told they have to be in stock location..I've been trying to find it in writting but havent found it yet...also Z28boy2000 can you PM me the link for the cheater cam also..thanks

It is FEDERAL LAW that they remain in the stock location. Having said that most will pass you on a visual as long as you HAVE cats. 3 years with a catted Y here in NC and no probs. Just get your 02's tuned out so you don't trip SES light.

If they actually test with a sniffer in the tailpipe a 224/224 114 with a really GOOD tune will pass as already said.

Also agree LS6 cam not worth the hassle......
    Last edited by SOMbitch; 11-06-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Thread Information