Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam questions

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Cam questions

So I have a 99 z-28 m6 with 108k mods are Hooker lt's, Borla cat back, slp ram air kit, tb coolant bypass, ls7 clutch, 180 degree thermostat with with the fans matching the thermostat (I have hp tuners) and a ton of suspension work with my question is that I've been thinking of installing a cam this winter I'm looking for better performance at the drag dragstrip and the highway I would also like to have a better sound with a loping sound but as this car is driven mostly as a street car I need good drivability and need to pass emissions test, so just wondering what cams are good mild street cams and valve springs also I am also looking looking to do do ls6 innate at at the same time just need to find one. So any input would be great also if there is any other parts please please suggest and when I read post I see ppl are using the crane cams valve valve spring tool where can I find one?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

First, you won't see performance on the highway in terms of MPG, but passing becomes fun.

Basically, you're asking about an all around DD cam, that's emissions friendly. I would suggest a 228 spec'd cam, but not sure on emissions. 224 cams have been proven as solid all around performers, can meet emissions, and a nicely desired increase in performance. If you want the lope: 112 lsa, smoother: 114lsa. Again, limited due to emissions compliance.

You mention nothing of heads, so stock 853 heads would be a choke point as we as your current ls1 intake/tb. going to an ls6 would be fine, and don't forget the coolant cross over line. I'd suggest a port/shimmed Ls6 oil pump, dual timing chain, .650 dual springs, titanium seats and retainers, and poly-chrome pushrods the length needed for your application. With any cam swap, you would want to address the valvetrain without question.

Finally, have the car retuned, etc. Your stock injectors should be fine so no need to upgrade, but double check the duty cycle of them. If they are 90% or higher, it's recommended to upgrade.

I strongly suggest doing a fair amount of research to make sure you end up meeting your desired build goal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

agree with above except with double roller timing chain. A LS2 timing chain will be more than enough for a 224 or 228 cam.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

For a timing chain I would either get the ls2 or c5r timing unless I was running a monstrous cam. A double roller for a 224 or 228 is just plain overkill.Another point, emissions compliance and drivability all has to do with the tune to a certain degree.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

was talking to the guy at texas speed and he recomended this cam Texas Speed Torquer V2 232/234 .595/598 Camshaft. it has come in a package with chromoly push rods and either behive springs or double springs about a $100 difference. other questions i have is is replacing the oil pump necessary? what are advantages of double spring and with the mentioned cam above are double springs necessary? and as far as the chain they have a ls2 chain is it ok to reuse the gears or is it best to replace the set? and to answer about questions yes stock heads and im not concerned about mpg just want to make the car quicker sound better and have run better times at the dragstrip
    i am not looking for monster cam just something more mild but i dont want something to small and i dont want to limit my choice to much on emissions they dont check the tail pipe or nothing just scan for codes and thats about it
    Last edited by 99yellowz28; 08-22-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Black/ Silver

That is a good cam choice. I would do dual springs mainly for longevity and piece of mind that they won't snap. Most single springs are only rated to .600 lift and with that cam you are pushing it. Replacing the oil pump is not required but I would because of how old it is and you might as well while it is torn apart. It is not much more work to remove the oil pump and put a new one on. If your timing set gears are in good shape they are fine to reuse. If the chain is sagging I would replace the timing set gears.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 08-22-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    That is a good cam choice. I would do dual springs mainly for longevity and piece of mind that they won't snap. Most single springs are only rated to .600 lift and with that cam you are pushing it. Replacing the oil pump is not required but I would because of how old it is and you might as well while it is torn apart. It is not much more work to remove the oil pump and put a new one on. If your timing set gears are in good shape they are fine to reuse. If the chain is sagging I would replace the timing set gears.
    +1 agree

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

was wondering what ppl were using for timing chains,oil pumps,valve springs,push rods. i like the idea of the slp timing chain/oil pump combo https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1942-s...eavy-duty.aspx but it being a double roller seems a bit much for my application just curious if its worth buying this whole combo https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1158-t...pring-kit.aspx or buying the components separately

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

After blowing several engines because of oil.related issues REPLACE your oil pump. And because of all that, I like my Melling one. Much more oil pressure than the ported ls6....but I watch my oil pressure like a hawk now. And get a double roller, you'll appreciate that later. My old 228r cam stretched the chain on the ls2 chain.

Black/ Silver

I am using the slp oil pump (which is made by melling), katech c5r timing chain,manely chromoly pushrods, and btr valve springs.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

All good info. I almost have myself convinced that it is time to throw a cam, springs, rockers, pushrods, oil pump and timing chain in our car this winter. Almost...

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

My advice would be to call Martin Smallwood at Tick Performance. He is known for being able to spec cams that perform under the curve and having a nasty idle lope. If you want to pull on the street in your DD go torquemax. If you need to be smog legal I believe he has a line of cams just for that.

2000 Trans Am T56 Swapped - GMPP "HOT" Cam | LS6 Intake | PnP TB | 25% UD Pulley | Founders adjustable LCA/PHB/TA | Norris Catch Can | TSP 1-7/8 SS LT | TSP True Duals with bullets | SLP Lid | UMI Shock tower brace | Torq Thrust M 17x9 275/40 front 17x10.5 315/35 rear - YouTube Videos - My Car Site

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by Decadence75 View Post
    My advice would be to call Martin Smallwood at Tick Performance. He is known for being able to spec cams that perform under the curve and having a nasty idle lope. If you want to pull on the street in your DD go torquemax. If you need to be smog legal I believe he has a line of cams just for that.
    Like I said about emissions test is basically scan for codes and this car is by far not a dd I have put 10k miles on it in five years I only drive it when I know it's going to be a real nice day out. What about this chain? kyspeed.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_36_79_13 8&products_id=630
    Combed with a slp pump?

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

I am using the slp oil pump (which is made by melling), katech c5r timing chain,manely chromoly pushrods, and btr valve springs.
    with the kaytech c5r timing chain are you using stock crank and cam gears? and is there any fittment issues or looseness?

Navy Blue Metallic

My current build (in progress)

LQ4 block
    LS2 pistons
    Polluter Stage 3 cam (239/244/112+3 LSA) from Martin @ Tick Performance
    BTR Dual Valve springs .660"
    BTR Lifters
    LS2 Timing Chain
    243 Heads (got used for $400)
    LS6 Intake
    LS6 VCT
    ARP Cyl Head/Con Rod bolts & Main Studs
    Upgraded to Racetronix Fuel Pump and 42lb injectors.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-27-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 99z-28 View Post
    with the kaytech c5r timing chain are you using stock crank and cam gears? and is there any fittment issues or looseness?
    I am using stock crank and cam gears and no it fits perfectly with no looseness.

Here's a couple pictures of it. The last one is as I was lining up the dots with my oil pump and c5r timing chain on after the cam swap.

My build is similar to Scott's with a couple of differences:

FAST 102 intake
    NW 102 TB
    FTP 104 lid
    SD tune
    243 Heads
    C5R Timing Chain
    SLP (blue printed and ported) oil pump
    ARP cam, Oil pump, connecting rod, main cap studs and head bolts
    230/238 112+2 lsa made by AI
    42# injectors
    4000 stall
    BTR .660 valve spring with titanium retainers
    BTR Lifters
    Manley chromoly pushrods
    LS6 block
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 08-27-2013 at 07:01 AM.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

well i think i am just trying to be over safe by looking at the z06 or c5r chain seems like the ls2 may work just fine for what im doing. i work at a ford dealer and we own a chevy store and i get employee cost but i need to find part numbers for these chains because they said they can only look up by vin, does anybody have the part numbers for these and one other thing is the c5r chain significantly stronger than ls2? or am i just over worrying about it breaking or stretching

Black/ Silver

I would think the c5r chain is stronger since it is the same chain used in GM's C5r. The c5r produced 600hp and it withstood that. Some may say it is overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry. For your application I am sure the ls2 chain or the c5r chain would be fine.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 08-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

what melling oil pump are you guys running? because there is a high volume and a high pressure model? was thinking of the slp pump but was curious of the melling and what ppl think and use. if it matters i just bought the ls2 chain

Thread Information