Thread: Cam help

jay98ta

Cam help

I want to put a cam in my TA what is the biggest cam I can use for a daily driver without tuning I would like a good hard hitting cam I know that is hard to get without tunning.

Black
    2004 Z06

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

just get a ls6 cam and be done with it.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by jay98ta
    I want to put a cam in my TA what is the biggest cam I can use for a daily driver without tuning I would like a good hard hitting cam I know that is hard to get without tunning.
    youre not getting any hard hitting cam minus tuning.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2004 Z06

Anything under 114 LSA (113,112,110) will require an edit of your computer.
    This edit is critical and you will blow a motor very quicky if not professionally done.

If you do not know what you are doing, do not even attempt this swap.
    There is much much more to this than just a cam swap like the good 'ol days.

The safest way to go is a Z06 cam.
    It will give you up to 50 more HP safely and much much better driveability as if your car came came from the factory this way .. just like a Z06.

Most of the advice you're going to get here are from hot rod heads who started out exactly like this cam swap .. then go on to spend thousands & thousands of dollars .. ending up turning their daily driver into a Friday night special only waiting to break something expensive ... and this is what a big bad cam will do to your vehicle.

Theres more to just doing a cam swap .. the camaro must then be reinforced to accomadte the HP increase.

Here is an example of an appropriately built LS1 Camaro.
    It is a factory modded SS SLP with a few more mods to insure street drivability, durability and reliability.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Black
    2004 Z06

This edit is critical and you will blow a motor very quicky if not professionally done.

It will give you up to 50 more HP safely and much much better driveability as if your car came came from the factory this way .. just like a Z06.

Most of the advice you're going to get here are from hot rod heads who started out exactly like this cam swap .. then go on to spend thousands & thousands of dollars .. ending up turning their daily driver into a Friday night special only waiting to break something expensive ... and this is what a big bad cam will do to your vehicle.

Theres more to just doing a cam swap .. the F-body must then be reinforced to accomodate the HP increase.

It is a factory modded SS SLP with a few more mods to insure street drivability, durability and reliability.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by eddierox

Theres more to just doing a cam swap .. the camaro must then be reinforced to accomadte the HP increase.

since when does slp use thunder racing parts and others companies aftermarket parts???

also even a 114 lsa cam will need tuning.

as i stated before, a ls6 cam giving out 50 rwhp is bullshit.
    way bigger cams than that dont even put out 50.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

lol, here we go again..

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by eddierox

Theres more to just doing a cam swap .. the F-body must then be reinforced to accomodate the HP increase.

1. the ls6 cam will not give you 50hp with out supporting mods and a tune.
    2. you can run a bigger cam and it still be a daily driver..hence the 224 cams out there...the 228's. the major factor in getting it back to DD status is once again a tune. There are plenty of people here with big cams running daily and strong. Im not sure what mods you have done to your car or if you've even attempted a cam swap on a LS1, but its not as difficult as you make it out to be. Its actually quite simple, just time consuming.
    as for you jay, do you have or plan to get longtubes? if not, then getting a cam isnt really the best thing unless its a ls6 cam and im sure everyone will agree (maybe not Eddie) that you need a tune regardless. If you plan on a cam swap, plan on a tune.
    Nino

Black
    2000 TransAm WS6

I ran the GM ASA cam with out a tune for 8 months.
    yes it died alot but was in my eyes liveable
    I gained 32rwhp from just putting it in
    Mike Berry
    2000 TransAm WS6 A4
    ASC#6552

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I have a TR230 and yes, it's a PITA to start and it dies out once in a while. I do have a tune and it helps, but big cams have a tendency to bring a new beast into your car. Fun but different. Cam swaps are very simple especially if you have the proper tools. For a cam only, the only PITA I did encounter were the rear coil pack bolts, hence, the reason why I left only the 3 front bolts, and getting the balancer out. Otherwise, with the cam install tool from Thunder Racing, Cam Changes are relatively quick. It's just time consuming getting things apart and putting them to together again. Go to LS1howto.com, they have a cam swap on their that helps a lot and pictures to show you how easy it really is. Do your research. That's the most important thing to remember.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

you could also consider the old man cam or something of that nature...i just cant recommend you get a cam and not get a tune. they go hand in hand.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

this is kinda a stupid question, i'm new to all this computer tuning business, but when you say a tune do you mean something like HPtuners and a little dyno time, or full on professional stuff. A friend of mine has HPTuners and he said its cool if i use it when i get my cam, and he's pretty proficient with it.

Second, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a 230/224 cam versus a 224/224?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

txhorns281 on ls1tech has that cam. you could try to pm him about it. Hptuners is a professional tuning suite, but we (normal end users) have started to use it more and more to fine tune our rides. the tr230 will have more chop to it, its a reverse split which most believe is better suited for turbo setups. You should still expect a bigger gain with the tr230 over the 224. answer your question??
    Nino

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

that answers my question. thanks. one last thing, what kind of gas mileage do cars with this type of cam usually see?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    you could also consider the old man cam or something of that nature...i just cant recommend you get a cam and not get a tune. they go hand in hand.
    Good time to learn how to use a degree wheel if you dont already and save money Jay98

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    that answers my question. thanks. one last thing, what kind of gas mileage do cars with this type of cam usually see?
    My M6 car was still getting 27.5 MPG on the highway with a 226/234 554/575 112.
    About 22 MPG around town if I stayed out of it.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Theres that ole saying " I want the BIGGEST CAM i can get" .UNTRUE.

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

TR224 on a 112 lsa if you have an M6.

custom comp 228 236 588 578 114 ,3.73s,4000 stall,tuned. You almost have to get a tune if you want a big cam that will change your engine specs.Even a good tune by itself is worth it with out a new cam.

Thread Information