Thread: Cam Help

Red
    2002 SS #5201

Cam Help

im looking at a Comp XE-R 244/248 .612/.615 112+2. only supporting mods are headers and cold air intake. tune is coming after the cam. stock block, what all would i have to do, or what do you guys think i should do? would i need larger heads? and is this to much cam for my DD? thx

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

That cam is huge for stock cubic inch. What are your goals for the car? Did COMP recommend this to you after you talked to them? Unless your planning on dragging the car, or spinning it to the moon, that cam is too big for a 346 CI. Your LS6 intake wouldn't keep up with that cam up top, and you better have a great exhaust. Stock heads will be killer, and I'm not even going to guess on PTV clearance.

What made you think about this camshaft? Have you read up on them? What all these numbers (big in your case) really mean to drivability and performance? Transmission? Goals?
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Too big for those stock heads. I would hate to have that for a DD.

hugger orange

My 238/242 112lsa in my old 346 was drivable but could be bitchy....I wouldn't want to go any bigger then that, and wouldn't have gone that big with stock heads...with stock heads that cam will drop yur dynamic compression down way too low and have no bottom end grunt

white
    2002 camaro z28

too big

Better check your ptv clearence. Thats cutting it close

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    That cam is huge for stock cubic inch. What are your goals for the car? Did COMP recommend this to you after you talked to them? Unless your planning on dragging the car, or spinning it to the moon, that cam is too big for a 346 CI. Your LS6 intake wouldn't keep up with that cam up top, and you better have a great exhaust. Stock heads will be killer, and I'm not even going to guess on PTV clearance.

What made you think about this camshaft? Have you read up on them? What all these numbers (big in your case) really mean to drivability and performance? Transmission? Goals?
    this.....don't get caught up in the "my cam is bigger than yours" game. Pick a nice cam that does exactly what you need it to do. Are you an a4 or m6 car?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

"THE RIGHT BALANCE OF PARTS IS KEY"............................Oh and LISTEN TO ORION AND HI-PO!!!!

Red
    2002 SS #5201

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    this.....don't get caught up in the "my cam is bigger than yours" game. Pick a nice cam that does exactly what you need it to do. Are you an a4 or m6 car?
    thanks guys for the input. i was just wondering because it was posted ls1tech for a good price. i'm looking for chop and sound, not too much performance---DON'T SHOOT ME on this, just a perference for right now.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by camaro02sprspt View Post
    thanks guys for the input. i was just wondering because it was posted ls1tech for a good price. i'm looking for chop and sound, not too much performance---DON'T SHOOT ME on this, just a perference for right now.
    you can get a decent chop and nice sound out of a much smaller cam that will also drive somewhat close to stock and put down decent numbers. As a daily driver you would get sick of that big ass top end cam pretty quick I think. Is your car a stick or auto?

hugger orange

Don't worry, we aren't jumping on you. Just want you to ake an informed choice that's all.
    I would go for that cam if it were a bigger cube motor or you were shooting for a super high rpm motor for dedicated drag racing. But the down fall of it is lack of low rpm grunt where you will be 99% of the tiime on the street. If you want a nasty sounding cam that still is streetable you might want to look at a smaller cam ground on a tighter lsa (like a 228 duration 110 lsa cam)

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Please stop then. If your going for sound, your going to be disappointed. You seriously need to start reading up on this subject, I'm not trying to be hard on you.... but you are going at this all wrong. Please, pretty please dont choose a can for sound. Read, research.

Red
    2002 SS #5201

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Please stop then. If your going for sound, your going to be disappointed. You seriously need to start reading up on this subject, I'm not trying to be hard on you.... but you are going at this all wrong. Please, pretty please dont choose a can for sound. Read, research.
    dude, i completely understand and have done my research on cams in the mild to wild, but not in the extreme category as this one that i asked about. as i said, i don't want to do any performance upgrades as a primary objective in this project. there's no way i plan on spinning this motor beyond 5800 RPMs with the ls6 intake and the 120,000+ miles --POINTLESS AT THIS POINT--and just wanting what i want. i just heard about the PTV clearance and that became my main concern. i just want a cheap cam that chops and makes the car rock before i pull the motor later. i'm just getting a little bored with the stock motor, but like all, strapped for cash.

hugger orange

dude, i completely understand and have done my research on cams in the mild to wild, but not in the extreme category as this one that i asked about. as i said, i don't want to do any performance upgrades as a primary objective in this project. there's no way i plan on spinning this motor beyond 5800 RPMs with the ls6 intake and the 120,000+ miles --POINTLESS AT THIS POINT--and just wanting what i want. i just heard about the PTV clearance and that became my main concern. i just want a cheap cam that chops and makes the car rock before i pull the motor later. i'm just getting a little bored with the stock motor, but like all, strapped for cash.
    Just a warning, there are some cams for sale on ebay for cheap, labeled "fresh copy" cams.....stay away from them, I ran one for awhile and endedup pulling it out and all the lobes had deep gouges in them from where the cam had not been hardened after the regrind... I ended up replacing the cam and also had to buy new lifters

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Just a warning, there are some cams for sale on ebay for cheap, labeled "fresh copy" cams.....stay away from them, I ran one for awhile and endedup pulling it out and all the lobes had deep gouges in them from where the cam had not been hardened after the regrind... I ended up replacing the cam and also had to buy new lifters
    what kind of springs were you running with this setup? what about your push rod length?

white
    2000 trans am

thanks guys for the input. I was just wondering because it was posted ls1tech for a good price. I'm looking for chop and sound, not too much performance---don't shoot me on this, just a perference for right now.
    gmmp asa

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    what kind of springs were you running with this setup? what about your push rod length?
    7.400" pushrods (correct length) and comp 918 springs

white
    2000 trans am

ASA 226\236@50 525/525 @109lsa
    Most people get real close to 390rwhp from this cam and LS6 valve springs.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by squirlnutz View Post
    ASA 226\236@50 525/525 @109lsa
    Most people get real close to 390rwhp from this cam and LS6 valve springs.
    Exactly what I was thinking when he said he was after sound. LS6 springs are easy on the budget and will last almost forever on that cam......

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Thread Information