Black
    2001 Trans Am

Cam/Head/Intake/Rearend upgrade....which to do first?

I am looking at doing some engine upgrades over the next 6 months. I have already done suspension and exhaust listed in my sig and am looking at upgrading Heads/Cam(to include valve springs, timing oil pump etc), intake manifold as well as putting a 12 bolt moser for the rear end with probably a 4.11 gear. I will then obviously have to get a new tune either by frost or dyno if I can find one close by. Question is, should I save up and try to do it all at the same time or can it be done piecemeal? If done one or a few at a time, what is the best order to do these in order to maximize time, effort and money? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    2001 TA M6. LCAs, SFCs, adj PHB, Pacesetter Headers, off-road y-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Ram-air, predator tune, F18X9.5 275/35, R18X10.5 295/35.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

What are your plans for the car if you get heads and can? Dragstrip? If so do the rear first. If you are going to just cruise around with it I would do heads and cam at the same time then do rear later. I would also look into upgrading the clutch, and use a tick master cylinder with their bleeding line.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I would upgrade the rear first. Even on the street, they can break. Ask me how I know. After that, I personally would do the h/c/i together, as you'll have everything apart at the same time then. As stated, look into upgrading the clutch and hydraulics. Also, if you are still using the stock torque arm, look into either relocating off the tailshaft of the tranny, or an aftermarket one that mounts to the crossmember or a tunnel mount.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Are you doing your own work? Id do it all at the same time, thats a lot of doe though either way.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yep. Anthony is right. That will cost a lot of money either way. But, that's what I did. I just did the whole thing. It cost me about a gillion dollars!! But oh well. It's only money!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I did the rear and clutch before going into the motor.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I did the rear and clutch before going into the motor.
    This would be the safest way to go, do these first!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I did SFC/LCA's/Rear end with relocation brackets & PST drive shaft/TA/Clutch/Shifter/Built T56/PHB/Shocks & Springs/Drag Radials...in that order...then added power.

Having a bunch of power is fun and cool...when your car actually hooks and nothing breaks.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Having a bunch of power is fun and cool...when your car actually hooks and nothing breaks.
    Agreed
    A good foundation is the best start, then you can tear into the motor

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree with everyone else....rear first. You don't want to be in the running for the fastest car on jackstands like a lot of other people end up.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Thanks guys, I think this is what Im going to do. Rear-end with new torque arm and clutch first and then roll into intake/heads and cam afterwards. I'm planning on doing it all myself and will probably break it up into two separate projects.

The car is a daily driver but I do take her out to have some real fun from time to time, so I don't want to go too long without her while doing these upgrades. I'm hoping I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but I think breaking it up and taking my time with it should help.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Im still on the stock rear here with 4-5k launches at the track, (not sure why it still works and doesnt make noise) however if it were me i would do the cam and heads at the same time and first but thats just me, just make sure you have everything that you need to do the swap ready to go. your going to be spending the same amount of money either way unless you do the heads cam and intake at different times but would be best to do it all at once while you are already in there
    2000 ss camaro, forged lq9 370 short block, stage 3 PRC 243 heads, fast 102 w, big mouth throttle body, MS3 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, stage 3 t-56, monster stage 3, pro 5.0, 4.10's with moser axles, bmr tq arm, lca's, phb. SOLD (thankfully)!!!

New project: 1968 step-side, partial restore, ls/th400 swap. hopefully boosted pics and more info to come!!!

Having a small cam is like having a small dick, everytime you go to use it you wish it was bigger

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    Im still on the stock rear here with 4-5k launches at the track, (not sure why it still works and doesnt make noise) however if it were me i would do the cam and heads at the same time and first but thats just me, just make sure you have everything that you need to do the swap ready to go. your going to be spending the same amount of money either way unless you do the heads cam and intake at different times but would be best to do it all at once while you are already in there
    there are exceptions to the rule but many many people have made that stock 10 bolt puke it's guts out on even stock power levels.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there are exceptions to the rule but many many people have made that stock 10 bolt puke it's guts out on even stock power levels.
    yeah i have seen many cases lol idk why im one of the lucky ones

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1:2772578
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah i have seen many cases lol idk why im one of the lucky ones
    You're not lucky, you're on borrowed time.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You're not lucky, you're on borrowed time.
    ill stick with the term lucky

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

I chose to do the intake before i got my first tune a few years back. Ill be doing the heads and cam in a few weeks, I dont drag race and really dont beat the shit outta her so the 10 bolt should hold a few mths til I get the 12 bolt or 9.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Most will recommend doing the rear and clutch first which is good advice. I can definately recommend doing the clutch first, mine let go on the dyno after my H/C. But I wanted instant gradification so I just dove into the H/C/I. I think it really depends on how you drive the car too, I've got about 450rwhp on 315 dr's for a year now and my 10 bolt is still holding. But I never go to the track, it's not a DD and I don't beat the hell out of it. I still have fun but I'm cautious at the same time. Rears are just expensive, a MWC 9" is gonna cost more than my entire build.

Thread Information