Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar

Cam and Exhaust problem........

im lookin at this 01 SS and its been cammed. i dont know what the specs are on it but im trying to get them from the previous owner. anyways, when the guy did the cam swap i dont know if he put springs, rockers or pushrods in it. is this a problem also it has the stock exhaust on it + a flowmaster 80 series cross flow muffler. so if he didnt do any other vavletrain mods should this be a priority or should i stick to getting the exhaust upgraded to maximize flow that the cam produces.?????

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

If he did do a cam. I would make sure he changed springs.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i would find out what cam he put in. thats a pretty lame setup. cam, stock exhaust, no springs. give im running the stock muffler, but i have LT's. You need to find out what the cam spec's are...specifically the lift, then if he did in fact change the springs.
    Nino

ok well this is the deal. its wrecked and im getting a heluva good deal on it. 7k for an 01 SS black 6 spd. not hit that hard. runs and drives. anyways they guy at the junkyard that bought it at an auction knows the guy that wrecked it. so even if he didnt change the springs would it still be a good deal just to do it myself. that way i know what has been done to it? should i do rockers and rods too? 1.8 rockers??

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

If it still runs and drives good. I would buy it as long as it isn't hit too hard. Find out the specs on the cam and if he didn't put hardened pushrods, or springs then I would put then in it. Roller rockers is a luxory. A nice one by the way.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

Black
    99 SS

check the frame before you buy it!!

the front bumper horns need pulled back into alignment but other than that it looks pretty straight. good bags it runs and drives, i drove it around down there. it ran strong.

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

Salvage Title? If so, don't do it.

Black
    99 SS

ill be honest, do not buy this car unless he is willing to sell it for 3k.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

damn, I like those LE wheels on that with Black, hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    ill be honest, do not buy this car unless he is willing to sell it for 3k.
    its not hit as hard as it looks. it still runs and drives. and hes including all the parts brand new to fix it. minus the hood. because the hood is about 1300 he says but i know he can get it for 800 or less becaues he is a dealer and can get stuff wholesale. but anyways everythihng is brand new. quarter panel, berger, bumper cover, front bumper cover, headlight, fog light, taillight, left and right fender. and i agree the wheels look damn good on that car.

Quote Originally Posted by KP1
    Salvage Title? If so, don't do it.
    yah its salvage but in ohio it means hardly nothing. you just have to find a buyer that is willing to deal with a rebuilt title. and nock 10% off the book price wich still puts it in the 15+ k range. so if i get it for 7 and put 2 into fixing it i made 6k in profit.

Black
    99 SS

how far are you from cincy, and hell if he has all the new parts to fix it then thats a good deal. i thought you had to buy that then buy the parts to fix it. then there is no way it would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    how far are you from cincy, and hell if he has all the new parts to fix it then thats a good deal. i thought you had to buy that then buy the parts to fix it. then there is no way it would be worth it.
    im a straight shot up 71 to 35E at jeffersonville. in chillicothe. but i just got off the phone with my uncle. he went down to look at it. they found body putty in the rear quarter that was hit. so its been wrecked before. but they guy is providing a new quarter. so i dont know.....i guess well have to see.

Black
    99 SS

cause i work in Sharonvill if you know where that is? by like 275?, ask for some money off then? or run a car fax.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

That wouldn't be a bad deal with all the parts. Even if it has been wrecked before then it doesn't really matter cause it has a salvaged title now. If you can get all the parts then I would go for it. Just be prepared for some hidden expense to come up. Dad owns a body shop and things always come up. If you don't have extra money to cover uh ohs then don't do it.

bad news guys its a piece of shit. my uncle looked at it, he said the trailing arms are bent, the axle possibly, the whole rear end sheet metal has been shifted to the left by about 2 inches. the front is shifted by about 2 feet obviously. he owns a body shop too and he said he wouldnt try to fix it if the guy nocked it down to 4500. so i think im going to let it go. i dont need a basket case. im going to send my uncle and some other people to the auctions up here to find me an SS or WS6.

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

Salvage title pretty much = POS. At least you had enough sense to get a pro to look at it. If you want one, go find a good deal on a clean car that hasn't been involved in a catastrophic accident.

Quote Originally Posted by KP1
    Salvage title pretty much = POS. At least you had enough sense to get a pro to look at it. If you want one, go find a good deal on a clean car that hasn't been involved in a catastrophic accident.
    the ONLY reason i started looking at wrecks is because they are cheap and in my price range. i really want an LS1. but their hard to come across with a 6 spd for about 7 to 10k. i dont like the look of the LT1 powered cars and im afraid if i get one and settle for it then when i go to get an LS1 i will lose a bunch of money on the LT1. so maby ill start scowering the auctions for a repo or possiblt a wreck that is not hit so hard.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

hey man i live in cleveland ohio and a salvage title is a huge problem, you have to take it to the inspetors who can tear what ever they want to off. and you have to put it back together there. all number have to match bolts, ect. it not as easy as you think. unless you get someone who is shady. its hard to get a car to pass. they don't want junk car( to them ) to be fixed just to drive, good luck if you get a salvage title. save 5k more and get what you want don't settle so less. i got what i wanted and it my first car payment ever and i'm 28. so just wait for the right car. don't just take anything. thanks jeremy

Thread Information