black
    2000 camaro ss

cam bearing swap??

hey guys-- after pulling the cam out of my car i see that the front bearing has some wear on it. my ? is how hard is it to change all of the cam bearings? can you rent the tool to do it from like autozone ? how tuff is it to line up the oil holes in the block? thanks

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tbias View Post
    hey guys-- after pulling the cam out of my car i see that the front bearing has some wear on it. my ? is how hard is it to change all of the cam bearings? can you rent the tool to do it from like autozone ? how tuff is it to line up the oil holes in the block? thanks
    You may want to have a machine shop install those. I don't know about LSX engines but you don't line up the oil holes on the older 350 blocks, they are clocked in a specific direction for oil pressure purposes I believe. Any way, if you have never installed cam bearings I would highly recommend a machine shop like I said. And yes it takes a special tool, and I don't think the zones has it. I've seen it on Summit before though.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    You may want to have a machine shop install those. I don't know about LSX engines but you don't line up the oil holes on the older 350 blocks, they are clocked in a specific direction for oil pressure purposes I believe. Any way, if you have never installed cam bearings I would highly recommend a machine shop like I said. And yes it takes a special tool, and I don't think the zones has it. I've seen it on Summit before though.
    +1 I agree, also if you have it out and torn apart it might not be a bad idea to have the shop bake and clean the block

black
    2000 camaro ss

the motor is still in the car. would you guys go ahead and just throw the new cam in ? i really dont want to pull it out.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by tbias View Post
    the motor is still in the car. would you guys go ahead and just throw the new cam in ? i really dont want to pull it out.
    how many miles do you have on it? usually the cam bearing last a long time....but if they have wear...i hate to say it, bid go with new bearings. Id beat my head against the wall if i skipped out on the bearings and later had to spend ALOT more money to fix a spun bearing

black
    2000 camaro ss

it has 44k on it. im not really sure what to do but i know i dont want to pull the motor. sucks!! dont really know what to do.

omg thats baby miles throw that cam in there and never look back unless u looking at a mustang in the rear view lol

black
    2000 camaro ss

thats what i wanna do but i can see a copper looking color bleeding through on the front one.

Thread Information