Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    delinquent543

cam adds how much hp?

how much HP does a cam actually add? Everyone seems to be adding cams, but how much power do they actually add, relative to their size and duration? Do bigger cams only serve to move torque further into the powerband, and do nothing more, or is there power added aswell? seems like a newb question, but im a bit confused here. Someone should do a write up/sticky on different cams and applications to get rid of repeated threads like this (just a thought).

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

well, i gained 39 rwhp with a 224/224 581/581 114 lsa cam and dyno tune.
    i have nice power threwout the rpm band. it pulls up to 6500 rpm. i dropped i wanna say almost 4 tenths because of it.
    generally the bigger the cam, the more power it makes it top.
    you can somewhat change that by retarding the cam to make more power down low.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Actually, retarding a cam should move the power farther up in the powerband, usually a few extra HP up top (or few more RPM's) in exchange for a few lb-ft down low.

The right cam can make power where you need it, but if you must make lots of HP at a high RPM, you can't expect it to do well at low RPM. Likewise, if you must make a lot of torque on the bottom, you can expect the power to taper off fairly early. Most OHV engines have a spread between peak tq and peak hp of 1500 - 2000 rpm. Changing cams basically moves that window higher or lower.

Hope that helps!

Hammer

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

On the stock tune my Lunati 226/234 554/575 112 gained me 41 RWHP.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    On the stock tune my Lunati 226/234 554/575 112 gained me 41 RWHP.
    I've been eyeing the Comp Cams XE grind 222/224 566/568 112-LSA. Of course, the right tuning will optimize the benefits of any cam swap... but do you think I can get way with this cam with just the stock tune for now?

... any predictions on RWHP?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    I've been eyeing the Comp Cams XE grind 222/224 566/568 112-LSA. Of course, the right tuning will optimize the benefits of any cam swap... but do you think I can get way with this cam with just the stock tune for now?

... any predictions on RWHP?
    That isn't a huge cam, but it would see a good 30-40 RWHP gain over the stocker. Of course....that is assuming you have all normal bolt-ons.
    Stock tune....I wouldn't run around on the stock tune any longer than you have to. It was a mistake on my part.
    RWHP is hard to guess. Most good sized cams these days will make 390-400 RWHP with a good tune though.

That isn't a huge cam, but it would see a good 30-40 RWHP gain over the stocker. Of course... that is assuming you have all normal bolt-ons.
    She's a bone stock, non Ram-Air Trans Am. Eventually going with a Predator hood... and K&N Performance Kit. But for now, the first mod will be the cam (along with a new oil pump).

As of right now, it's a toss up between the Comp Cams listed above, and Crane's "Quick Lift" 224/224 551/551...

Stock tune....I wouldn't run around on the stock tune any longer than you have to. It was a mistake on my part.
    Agreed. Which is why I'm leaning more towards a well mannered cam for the street. AFR heads will make their way on there come next spring, and should work very well with either cam mentioned above.

Thanks for getting back...
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 11-27-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Sounds like you are kinda going in backwards order.
    Do you have longtubes on her?? LS6 intake/FAST intake??
    The cam will help a little without those bolt-ons, but you will see a much better gain with those breather mods.

When you go after those AFR heads....remember bigger isn't always better.

Sounds like you are kinda going in backwards order. Do you have longtubes on her?? LS6 intake/FAST intake?? The cam will help a little without those bolt-ons, but you will see a much better gain with those breather mods. When you go after those AFR heads....remember bigger isn't always better.
    You're right there. The approach is a little bit different from most... as I'm looking to get the majority of the engine's internals done during the Winter. Stock exhaust for now, but SLP LT's and ORY will eventually find their way on there within the coming months though.

Intake is stock too, but will be swapping to something else sooner than later. I was honestly going to keep the stock air induction on there til next spring, but I'm tired of looking at it. I did my Iroc in similar fashion, only I started from the rear, forward....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

May I recommend going with ANYTHING but SLP.

Sounds like it should be a runner once done. Good luck!!

I'm laughing because this isn't the first time I heard this....

Thanks!

black

adding a cam before the bolt ons will net you alot less power.
    also i would get a 224/224 581/581 cam.

Black
    99 SS

it all depends.
    95 WS6, 6 speed, FULL suspension, 9" spool, Vortech S/C HARD TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 Z28/SS Vert Triple Black, H/C

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

i second that... for the money get kooks or QTP, well tahts what i would do but hey ne of em will get teh job done.

Pewter
    2001 SS Vert

FWIW, on my 01 SS vert

I just had installed a 218/222 .562/.566 i/e on a 115 lsa

versus the stock 198/197 .498/.498 i/e on a 115 lsa

Made 26 hp more than stock, 346 vs 320 at the wheels. Most notable is the new found power up top, doesn't run out of breath like before. Torque peak is the same at 343 lbs, looks like it moved the torque peak about 700 rpms north, to about 4700 rpm vs 4000 rpm on the stock dyno pull. Minor torque losses of about 5 - 9 lb feet up to the cross over point at 4,500 rpm when the new bigger cam starts to pull away.

Most noticable is the fact that the Hp peak for the stock cam came at 5,300 rpm (320 rwhp), and by 5,800 rpm the hp had declined to approximately 315 rwhp. The new cam made 340 rwhp at 5,300 rpm, peaked at 346 rwhp at 5,700 rpm and was still making 338 rwhp at fuel shut off at 6,200 rpm. Good power up top. The split at 5,800 rpm was 345 vs 310 rwhp. Sort of depends where you take the reading.

The stock tune was satisfactory with the new cam, air fuel ratio bottomed at 13.0:1 at 5,800 rpm in both cases.

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't raise the rev limiter by a couple hundred rpm.

Hope that helps

LWM
    Last edited by LWM; 11-28-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

What kind of gains would you see from a head/cam package.
    I'm looking at Patriot Stage II heads with a 232/230 with a 112 lsa reverse split cam. Don't remember the lift exactly. I was thinking a little over 50 hp from this with a tune. Would that be reasonable on a 98 Z28 with an intake and a full exhaust?

Also, I've got my mind set on doing heads and cam at the same time so i wont get ahead of myself.

black

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    What kind of gains would you see from a head/cam package.
    I'm looking at Patriot Stage II heads with a 232/230 with a 112 lsa reverse split cam. Don't remember the lift exactly. I was thinking a little over 50 hp from this with a tune. Would that be reasonable on a 98 Z28 with an intake and a full exhaust?

Also, I've got my mind set on doing heads and cam at the same time so i wont get ahead of myself.
    youll net more than 50 rwhp with heads and cam.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

youll net more than 50 rwhp with heads and cam.

Glad to hear that. I usually look on the conservative side on this kind of thing. Keeps me from being disappointed.

Hello I have a 4.8 vortec I want to put a cam and tune the cam kit is comp cam k51-224-4...any word on this kit thanks

68 chevy short wide

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    She's a bone stock, non Ram-Air Trans Am. Eventually going with a Predator hood... and K&N Performance Kit. But for now, the first mod will be the cam (along with a new oil pump).

As of right now, it's a toss up between the Comp Cams listed above, and Crane's "Quick Lift" 224/224 551/551...

Agreed. Which is why I'm leaning more towards a well mannered cam for the street. AFR heads will make their way on there come next spring, and should work very well with either cam mentioned above.

Thanks for getting back...
    I'm running a scoggin dicky z+221. 221/226 . .560/565 on 114. It sounds and runs great. But I'm fixing to pull it and go bigger. My advice is look at this cam. It's ground by cam motion and they have softer lobes, meaning they are easier on springs and pushrods than the aggressive comp lobes. Also you really don't need to change the oil pump as much as you need to change the springs and pushrods. And by all means get a tune for any cam. Period that's the only way to see it's true potential. Upgrade the breathing asap. You can go up to about a 224r on a stock converter if your auto .But a stall will be very noticeable if added . If your not in a hurry keep your eyes peeled on the classified section . My cam will be on there in a month or so and it has maybe 4k on it. It's more for a daily driver than my hot rod truck. If you search z+221 on YouTube you will find clips of my truck and can hear it....

Thread Information