Thread: Which Cam?

Grey
    2005 GTO

Which Cam?

I have a 05 GTO with a LS2 motor in it. I currently have the diablo sport tune in it w/ k&n cold air kit. I am looking to add a little more power and was curious as to which cam would best fit my needs. I wish to able to add as much hp to this motor with out sacrificing drivability. Also, with installing a new cam will I have to do a dyno tune, or will I be able to use my Diablo Sport programmer to do the job. All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Shawn

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you should get supporting mods before you do a cam.
    headers and catback would be the first place you start with that.
    also if youre car is a automatic, get a stall converter first.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Grey
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula
    you should get supporting mods before you do a cam.
    headers and catback would be the first place you start with that.
    also if youre car is a automatic, get a stall converter first.
    My car is a M6 so a converter is not an option. Also, not to sound like a smart a$$, but why would I spend $1500 to $2000 on headers and catback that would only net an increase of 20-30 hp at the wheels, when i could spend $300-$400 on a cam, and have the possibilty of gaining more? True, its gonna sound better, but the end result is not going to equal huge amounts of power gain.

Shawn

it wouldnt make much sense to get a cam that is going to rush in and push out much more air when the exhaust is going to restrict it and not make now where near what you should make. please consider doing full exhaust the do a nice cam, your overall gain will be very impressive.

Rob
    D'Agostino Racing.Com
    954-583-8884
    877-DRI-POWER
    Specializing in Late Model GM and Ford Sports Cars

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by tafc550
    My car is a M6 so a converter is not an option. Also, not to sound like a smart a$$, but why would I spend $1500 to $2000 on headers and catback that would only net an increase of 20-30 hp at the wheels, when i could spend $300-$400 on a cam, and have the possibilty of gaining more? True, its gonna sound better, but the end result is not going to equal huge amounts of power gain.

Shawn
    i would do some resreach before making statements like ill make huge amounts of power with a cam.
    without headers and a catback, youll be lucky to make even half the horsepower the cam can make.
    you need to push out the exhaust gas as fast as you can and the stock manifolds and cats just arent that free flowing.
    also when doing a cam, you need to buy a whole cam kit, not just a cam.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

i would do some resreach before making statements like ill make huge amounts of power with a cam.
    without headers and a catback, youll be lucky to make even half the horsepower the cam can make.
    you need to push out the exhaust gas as fast as you can and the stock manifolds and cats just arent that free flowing.
    I can vouch for this for sure. My car with a decent size cam and no intake or t/b and a sorry catback didn't make real good numbers. I made 355 rwhp and 360 rwtq. I have a SLP L/M catback and a BBK 80mm T/B and looking for a good deal on an intake. Then gonna go and get a new dyno to see what kind of gains I get. It has gotta breathe and exhale to make power. Full exhaust and then do the intake and cam part of it.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

Grey
    2005 GTO

Don't mis quote me please. "huge amounts of power" was never said by me. I see your points, and agree. I just find it hard to beleive, and maybe this is my ignorance, that an aftermarket exhaust is that much more free flowing than the factory, especially when the factory already has a "true" dual exhaust with 3" pipes all the way back. Also, the LS2 comes stock with a 90mm throttle body, so the only thing out there in the market that is better would be to port the factory throttle body, and again I can't see this as being a huge gain. In a recent article in GMHigh-Tech Magazine reveiled a 90 hp gain at the flywheel with just a cam swap. This article made no mention of an exhaust upgrade, just a cam swap. I'll agree that the f-body cars need exhaust, and intake upgrades, but please remember this is not an f-body.

But for the sake of arguement, lets assume the exuast has been upgraded, what cam would best fit my needs?

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by tafc550
    Don't mis quote me please. "huge amounts of power" was never said by me. I see your points, and agree. I just find it hard to beleive, and maybe this is my ignorance, that an aftermarket exhaust is that much more free flowing than the factory, especially when the factory already has a "true" dual exhaust with 3" pipes all the way back. Also, the LS2 comes stock with a 90mm throttle body, so the only thing out there in the market that is better would be to port the factory throttle body, and again I can't see this as being a huge gain. In a recent article in GMHigh-Tech Magazine reveiled a 90 hp gain at the flywheel with just a cam swap. This article made no mention of an exhaust upgrade, just a cam swap. I'll agree that the f-body cars need exhaust, and intake upgrades, but please remember this is not an f-body.

But for the sake of arguement, lets assume the exuast has been upgraded, what cam would best fit my needs?

Shawn
    I read that same article, when they tested it on the flywheel they had an open exhaust. They also went for just peak power and that kind of cam wouldn't be very drivable. If you consider a cam you must also consider getting pushrods, springs, oil pump, timing chain, ect... Basically you're looking at the same price for a better exhaust system. Get some longtubes, those stock manifolds are what is going to kill anything you get in there. I bought my car and it had the cam I currently have in there with no supporting mods. It made 346 RWHP, after the supporting mods I had 415 and the backfiring from the exhaust stopped because it could finally breath. Take it from someone who's been there, cam first is not a good idea. It should be the last thing to do to match it exactly to the heads, i/e, and customized to fit your goals and needs. Don't get caught up in peak HP numbers, sure they may be bragging rights but are no fun to drive around the street at the sarcafice of driveability and low end torque....

CAM ONLY 345.6 HP and 322.8 TQ SAE

SLP 51013 Cam 234/228- degree cam with .576/.571 lift 112 centerline 113 LSA

Click for full size

Supporting Mods which were less than all the cam parts SAE 415 HP and 391 TQ

Click for full size

Because this cam is not what I want and now I have all my supporting mods I've ordered a custom grind to fit what I wanted out of the car and what it can handle. The cam gets swapped in next weekend and will go on a dyno at some point this summer to get tuned, possibly will get thrown on one at atlanta but won't be tuned. They're offering dynos while I'm going to be there. I should now be at 450RWHP Easily with this new cam and the 90/90 I'm adding

Thread Information