Thread: Cam at 126k

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Cam at 126k

Do you guys think its worth it to put a cam in at 126k. The motor runs strong as fuck and has a good amount of power and I also have a good amount of bolt ons and gears. I just have had this itch to put a cam in lately something pretty mild in the 220s its a daily driver for the summer anyways.

HottubChampion

Peuter
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    Do you guys think its worth it to put a cam in at 126k. The motor runs strong as fuck and has a good amount of power and I also have a good amount of bolt ons and gears. I just have had this itch to put a cam in lately something pretty mild in the 220s its a daily driver for the summer anyways.
    As long as your oil pressure is good when running and no funnny knocks I don't see why you should hold back. Cheap insurance would be to go with an LS2 timing chain, ported LS6 oil pump and replace your valve seals when changing your springs and your motor will be golden for many miles to come. Also you can reuse your stock rockers if you stay in the 550-570 range on lift. Stock rockers are most effective till 550 lift but there is some leeway. There are tons of people out there running stock rockers on 640 lift cams but the truth is they are doing more harm than good and will prematurely wear out the valve guides resulting in loss of HP.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It would be a good time to replace the oil pump. If you have some spare cash it would be good to replace the lifters also.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    Yes I think so...just put a cam in my 100K mile car. I would definately do a new oil pump and chain as prevention as mentioned already. Roller rockers are a wise but expensive option to better control valve movements, but many will say the stockers work just fine... your call.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

A 224/224 cam is a good mild cam and gives great power.
    I would also upgrade the oil pump, new ls2 timing chain and spring kit rated to .600 lift
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Hardened Pushrods, and if you are replacing the lifters, as someone suggested, it would a good idea to replace the lifter trays, since you already have the heads off.

HottubChampion

Peuter
    2000 Z28

This is something I have been contemplating for quite a long time and have gone from doing all these things to just going with a small cam like that and only changing what is necessary. Its way too easy to get carried away replacing things. My suggestion would be if you are going to go throught the trouble of replaceing all these parts, get a cam that is worth while that will make more power for you than the 224. There are many larger profiles that can be daily driven without any drivability issues and give you a 50-60 HP gain where the 224 will give you 20-30 at the most. This will satisfy your craving more power and justify taking on the extra expense. Know too may people who started off only wanting a small cam and a few miles later were disappointed and went larger. Rule of thmb is since you are already in there, go big so you don't have to tear back into it cause you changed your mind or weren't sure what you wanted.

Thread Information