Cam with 10 bolt

Welp heres the deal. Im in school and low on cash. I have enough for a cam but I do not have enough to upgrade the 10 bolt or the stock clutch. My setup is Long tubes, TSP Y, LM1 and a Lid. I would like to put down around 385-390rwh just enough to break into the 11's. Should I cam the car or wait?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

The problem will be if you get traction with the rear. In stock form, our cars have been known to destroy them. Adding power isn't much of a benefit if you can't transfer it to the ground. It can be a tough decision to make, but I've always felt it's better to build a solid drivetrain first to handle the added power. Trust me, it costs less to wait and upgrade than to wait and fix what breaks.

And by upgrading the 10 bolt, I hope you mean replacing it with a 9" or 12 bolt. Don't bother sinking money into the stocker, it's a waste. Ask me how I know.

It gets expensive doesnt it? I am in the process of getting an ls6 intake. Maybe I should just wait since a 12 bolt would probably go for around 3 grand.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My 9" was $2400 shipped.
    No ABS/TCS though. No drain/fill plugs. Barebones basically.

Cam on the 10 bolt will be fine. Don't think you will be seeing 11's too often on it though....as you need to be able to hook and that will kill that stock rear.
    If I recall....your car is an M6 as well correct?? That isn't helping anything.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    My 9" was $2400 shipped.
    No ABS/TCS though. No drain/fill plugs. Barebones basically.

Cam on the 10 bolt will be fine. Don't think you will be seeing 11's too often on it though....as you need to be able to hook and that will kill that stock rear.
    If I recall....your car is an M6 as well correct?? That isn't helping anything.
    Yeah its an m6. I wouldnt run it down the track until I have the cash for the 12 bolt.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a cam and stall with a stock 10 bolt with 3.73's and it's fun but I don't track the car or plan to run DR's until I get a 9". I know it would break at the track but for the streets and a few red light or roll races it has held up.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

my 10 bolt has been fine at the track but with street tires and i get no traction. i know it would be just as fast without the cam or faster so do the clutch or the rear end first. its just a waste of money to do the power first imo and if i could go back i would of spent my money on a new rear end first!

I have been looking at the texas speed Tor.V2 cam. Just looking for something that drives good and sounds mean I guess.

Next step is the LS6 for sure.

Then I cant decide if it would be worth porting the stock tb or not.

Then I have to decide on the cam/10 bolt/clutch.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 05-15-2011 at 05:58 PM.

NBM
    99 TA

I went with a mild cam because I was hoping not to have to replace the drivetrain. Mine is an A4 and put down 394 with big wheels that do not help with traction and both my trans and 10-bolt went out within 6 months. And I just drive mine on the street. I ended up spending quite a bit on a built trans with stall and a moser 12 bolt and everything holds up great, except I spin like crazy.

Since you have a m6, I would suggest getting a 9" instead of a 12-bolt, but also I would save up for it before it breaks especially if its your DD.

Alright thanks.I guess ill finish the bolt ons and then do the rear and clutch

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Experiences vary, but I have a cammed car for 2 years on a stock 10 bolt with no problems at all. It is a street car with very sticky tires. It may hold up fine for you too....cams only add 10-15% more HP. Your call.

Def. do the LS6 intake first, and a clutch if yours is slipping at all. The stock clutch is WEAK.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Build the drive train first. HP doesn't win races. Traction and torque does

Yes, there are some people running H/C/I stalled auto's with the stock 10 bolt and it has been fine. Yes there are M6 bolt-on cars with 10 bolts that have held up.

I bet if you take a poll though, those numbers would probably be swayed 80-20, with the majority having 10 bolt issues.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Build the drive train first. HP doesn't win races. Traction and torque does

Yes, there are some people running H/C/I stalled auto's with the stock 10 bolt and it has been fine. Yes there are M6 bolt-on cars with 10 bolts that have held up.

I bet if you take a poll though, those numbers would probably be swayed 80-20, with the majority having 10 bolt issues.
    ^This.

Ask Spaz, and many others.... the stock 10 bolt may last for a while. But you never know when it will go. Spaz's went just driving normally. And being stuck on the side of the road, who knows where, isn't fun.

I bet by the time I am done building the drive train i'll want a z06

Thread Information