White
    2001 RS Camaro

Busted lifter or not??

Well more issues to conquer with the Camaro. I got my car back from the dealership and cranked it and now it's making a pinging noise like a lifter going bad. I'm debating on opening her up and checking it out to see if it's the lifter or the rocker arm needs tightening. I'm just getting started working on my cars on my own is why I'm posting this. Anybody know a good link/tutorial on how to change out the lifters? And another thing, now the engine is running cold and I let it warm up up for like 20min and it didn't get above 100 degrees. I'm hoping all I need to do is replace the thermostat and be done with it. Because it's just starting to get really cold here in Alabama and the temp has been normal around 200-210. Anything else that can cause this to happen??

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

The heads have to come off to do lifters.

Check the simple stuff first. Loose rocker/puked needle bearings. bent pushrod exhaust leak etc... You can also get a mechanics stethescope for like $5 from Harbor Freight and help pinpoint where it is coming from.

Sounds like your T-stat may be stuck open. I have a 160* stat though and if I just let mine idle in cold temps it barely moves too...

hugger orange

Like said check the easy stuff first, do the therm and I'd check the rockers.
    Unbolt your coilpacks, unbolt valve covers and your there.
    Rockers should be torqued, but I'd unbolt them (lift off as a unit) and pull the pushrods out to see if any are bent.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    The heads have to come off to do lifters.

Check the simple stuff first. Loose rocker/puked needle bearings. bent pushrod exhaust leak etc... You can also get a mechanics stethescope for like $5 from Harbor Freight and help pinpoint where it is coming from.

Sounds like your T-stat may be stuck open. I have a 160* stat though and if I just let mine idle in cold temps it barely moves too...
    Well I went out early this morning to work on her and I cranked her up and it ran just as smooth as it could. No pinging noise, nothing. Only thing I can think of is while it was at the dealership it sat there and wasn't cranked all weekend so the oil settled in the oil pan. All my fluids are normal and I'm getting a radiator flush next week. My oil level is really low and I'm not due for an oil change for another 1200 miles. So I'm going to get an early oil change and see if that helps with the lifter problem.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    Well I went out early this morning to work on her and I cranked her up and it ran just as smooth as it could. No pinging noise, nothing. Only thing I can think of is while it was at the dealership it sat there and wasn't cranked all weekend so the oil settled in the oil pan. All my fluids are normal and I'm getting a radiator flush next week. My oil level is really low and I'm not due for an oil change for another 1200 miles. So I'm going to get an early oil change and see if that helps with the lifter problem.
    How low? Running the engine low on oil, is the WORST thing you can do. Really need to check it every other gas fill up. I check mine everytime before I start the car, I'm in the minority though.

Either way, don't wait for a oil change to fill the case back up to normal level. Do it now.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    How low? Running the engine low on oil, is the WORST thing you can do. Really need to check it every other gas fill up. I check mine everytime before I start the car, I'm in the minority though.

Either way, don't wait for a oil change to fill the case back up to normal level. Do it now.
    Yup I check mine weekly and it normally needs alittle top off once a month or so

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post

It's not low to the point of running it dry but I'm still gonna get it topped off for sure.

Thread Information