Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

Break-in period with new heads/cam

Getting PRC head/cam package from Texas Speed next week. Will include timing chain and LS6 oil pump. The installing shop is only giving me a 90-day warranty on labor. Is that normal?

How long should the break-in period be before I have it dynoed?

How much more HP should I expect?

Other than leaks what should I really look for to make sure everything is good before the 90 day warranty ends?

She's my daily driver with 108k miles and I rarely push her very hard.

Thanks

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Would be nice to know cam specs and tranny. Otherwise a warranty if they ever stuck to those there wouldn't be so many dead bodies in my backyard. With the initial break in if the shop is doing it then they have it taken care of might ask if they changed the oil after, and drive it like you normally would when breaking it in. Do you have a dyno shop lined up? If you do ask them what they reccomend.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i dont think there is really a break in period for head and cam. I think they say to put a couple heat cycles on the springs before it but thats about it. Its a roller cam so theres no break in for it. I have started mine a couple times to get some run time on it and to put a couple heat cycles on the springs before i take mine to get dyno tuned, just to be safe.

Sunset Orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

I never did any break in period with mine. Dynoes it with about 300 miles on them.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

the shop that did my H/C swap originally dynoed it right after they put um on. they did go through 3 heat cycles for the springs first. about 1 mile after the swap. i would have waited long but mine was fine, no problems till it hydro locked. Good luck

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

None.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Let her rip day one....I agree with the heat cycle on the springs but not just for a "break in"....you shouldn't really romp on it anytime until the springs/oil is at op temp.....they are the most fragile when cold....or should I say the springs are more brittle when cold....

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

One heat cycle then dyno'ed! No probs!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

Man that's great to hear. Guess I should have it dyno tuned after too huh.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss93 View Post
    Man that's great to hear. Guess I should have it dyno tuned after too huh.
    ya you will need to for the car to run right.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

which cam are you going with?

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

I had the shop doing the work call Texas Speed and get the best one for my car that would keep it street friendly but get it over 400hp. The work order doesn't give me any details AND the shop said TS doesn't have it listed on the internet. Sounds fishy so I'm contacting TS to get details before I commit. They are closed today so have to wait till Mon. On work order just has "PCS stage 2 head and cam pkg. - 199-pkg1. Also, they have on the work order all the gaskets separate with labor added for each. I thought the packages come WITH the gaskets? The charge for the package its $1,856.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

mind me inquiring what the shop is charging to do the work? debating whether i want to do mine myself or just pay someone to do it when i get around to it.

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

$1,584 for head/cam ls6 pump and timing chain. But they charged me like 5 hrs separate @$90/hr for the gaskets - wth?

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss93 View Post
    $1,584 for head/cam ls6 pump and timing chain. But they charged me like 5 hrs separate @$90/hr for the gaskets - wth?
    ~$1600 for labor alone? Holy shit!

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

at that kinda price i do believe i'll just do it myself. I could possibly see 800 to a grand. but that'd be about the extent of it.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I was quoted $1000 labor for installing new heads, cam, oil pump, new timing chain and a dyno tune. I know thats pretty low but I wouldn't pay more than $1000.00 for a install with no dyno tune.

Those Texas Speed head/cam kits have options on weather you want a better timing chain, gaskets, a LS6 oil pump,titanium retainers, hardened rods,and Bolts for the heads. You need to go to http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=47

and check it out. If it were me- I would order the parts myself and ask the shop for a labor quote only. That way you avoid getting it up the rectum and you know what you are getting. I would go with this package-Precison Race Components Stg 2.5 LS6 Heads & Cam. Just call Texas speed and tell them what you want to do and ask them everything you need etc. They will help you out .

PS- that shop is trying to hook. Texas Speed has the cam/head packages listed on the net. I wouldn't even deal with that shop for the simple fact they are trying to scam. Its the way the world is bro- you show someone that you don't really know what's going on and they will try to take FULL advantage of you.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 03-14-2009 at 03:38 PM.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I was quoted $1000 labor for installing new heads, cam, oil pump, new timing chain and a dyno tune. I know thats pretty low but I wouldn't pay more than $1000.00 for a install with no dyno tune.

Those Texas Speed head/cam kits have options on weather you want a better timing chain, gaskets, a LS6 oil pump,titanium retainers, hardened rods,and Bolts for the heads. You need to go to http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=47

and check it out. If it were me- I would order the parts myself and ask the shop for a labor quote only. That way you avoid getting it up the rectum and you know what you are getting. I would go with this package-Precison Race Components Stg 2.5 LS6 Heads & Cam. Just call Texas speed and tell them what you want to do and ask them everything you need etc. They will help you out .

PS- that shop is trying to hook. Texas Speed has the cam/head packages listed on the net. I wouldn't even deal with that shop for the simple fact they are trying to scam. Its the way the world is bro- you show someone that you don't really know what's going on and they will try to take FULL advantage of you.
    +1 it happend to me

a long time ago

owell
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 03-14-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

Wow thanks for the info. Two questions tho.

Is a 90-day warranty on labor normal?

Do the kits come with gaskets? They were charging me for the head gaskets etc separately.

Ya just gonna order them myself. But need to find a good shop here in Austin.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post

I may be wrong....but I believe TSP's install price includes a tune.

Thread Information