Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green/Rat Rust
    1951 Buick Special 2DRHT

Bought over revved LS1...What Next???

I just bought a 1999 complete LS1 that has been over revved. It had several bent pushrods and a scored lifter bore. My concern is the lifter bore. Is this a major deal or a simple fix? I'm an hour east of Dallas. Anyone know the fix or a good machinist in the area?

I've heard of people just replacing their bent pushrods and after runs good as new, but i don't know about the scored lifter bore.

I actually reved my car last week give it a good rev, now this story is making me feel bad for reving my engine. I don't think i hurt anything, at least i hope not. But, just reading about your situation makes me not want to ever rev my car again.

What year is it, im sure you got a good deal on it, fix it up and burn rubber.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by ferocity View Post
    I've heard of people just replacing their bent pushrods and after runs good as new, but i don't know about the scored lifter bore.

I actually reved my car last week give it a good rev, now this story is making me feel bad for reving my engine. I don't think i hurt anything, at least i hope not. But, just reading about your situation makes me not want to ever rev my car again.

What year is it, im sure you got a good deal on it, fix it up and burn rubber.
    The LSx engine can handle the revs with ease, bent push rods and the like come from mechanicaly over revving by missing a shift and dumping into 2nd instead of 4th. Don't worry about running the LSx at high RPMs, it can take it.

Green/Rat Rust
    1951 Buick Special 2DRHT

I had the oppurtunity today to talk to the person that actually over revved the LS1. Missed shift....Anyway, he said during his thrill he squashed the roller arms on a lifter and while trying to remove it, he gouged the wall of the bore. Soooooo....... does anyone know if this is anything? Can I just clean it up with a brake cylinder hone and go or is there more to it?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ok i know this is stupid ..but i've always wondered how does reving in Neutral hurt engines..since at times the engine goes that high durring driving..so whats the diff between N revving and driving reving?

Green/Rat Rust
    1951 Buick Special 2DRHT

ok i know this is stupid ..but i've always wondered how does reving in Neutral hurt engines..since at times the engine goes that high durring driving..so whats the diff between N revving and driving reving?

LOAD

98' trans am

man i keep on sounding dumber and dumber but i'm not to knowledgable about the internals..what is load?

Green/Rat Rust
    1951 Buick Special 2DRHT

Tires on the ground....moving mass...not freewheeling....
    So do you know how to fix my engine if it needs fixing?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    It doesn't

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    It doesn't
    really sweet..becuase everyone used to want to hear the LM exhuast on my old T/a..and now they want to hear the custom exhuast on my G/a...and when i rev it they always say i'm going to make the engine explode..

Black

really sweet..becuase everyone used to want to hear the LM exhuast on my old T/a..and now they want to hear the custom exhuast on my G/a...and when i rev it they always say i'm going to make the engine explode..
    Well I hope you are not reving it to limiter.

98' trans am

hellz no 3,000 for the g/a and used to go around 4000 ...but again if i were to go and hit the limiter all the time..i take it that it would be stressfull on the engine becuase of the load? sorta like being in 1rst gear on a bike and going down a hill pedaling as fast as i can..same logic? sorry for all the questions but internals are by far my weakest subject

Black

hellz no 3,000 for the g/a and used to go around 4000 ...but again if i were to go and hit the limiter all the time..i take it that it would be stressfull on the engine becuase of the load?
    Not because of load, but because the limiter cuts fuel which will make you run lean.

98' trans am

ok i understand now thanks ed i knew i could count on you...hows the new engine work going? did you ever find out what it was..a land ring in #7 i think is what i herd?

Green/Rat Rust
    1951 Buick Special 2DRHT

If you guys want to throw it in neutral and rev it till it blows...go for it. So back to the question at hand. Does a gouged up lifter bore make a rats a$$ or not?????

98' trans am

geez.. um if its gouged you can lose oil pressure in the lifter and it can cause float or rotation i believe . i'd sugguest fixing it as soon as possible
    Last edited by shady milkman; 10-24-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Green/Rat Rust
    1951 Buick Special 2DRHT

I repeat myself
    I just bought a 1999 complete LS1 that has been over revved. It had several bent pushrods and a gouged up lifter bore. My concern is the lifter bore. Is this a major deal or a simple fix? I'm an hour east of Dallas. Anyone know the fix or a good machinist in the area?

98' trans am

try texas speed.. if not.Texas Engine Machine Inc. 906 Avon Ave. Llano, TX 78643, (325) 247-2390. man your a jackass by the way! god

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

try texas speed.. if not.Texas Engine Machine Inc. 906 Avon Ave. Llano, TX 78643, (325) 247-2390. man your a jackass by the way! god
    Hey, no need for that. He's just frustrated because he asked a question on a problem and hasn't gotten a direct answer to that question. He knows he needs to fix it, but how much nd difficult.

Personally, I don't know, sorry. If the lifter bore needs to be machined, that's a lot of work I think. Removal of a lot of crap just to get to it.

Green/Rat Rust
    1951 Buick Special 2DRHT

One jackass to another....I just asked a simple question...looking for a simple answer...Not all this crap that sounds like its coming from bunch of 16 year olds. Either you know something about gouged up lifter bores and fixing them or not.

Thread Information