Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    98 Camaro Z28

Boring .020 Over

Anyone ever done it on a LS1 block? Had any problems or heaed of anyone who did?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Yes.

Problems. Cylinder walls are too thin. Hone only....
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

If you are lucky with a low mileage block that isn't too far out of round you can get away with a hone. Can only go about .005 and if that doesn't make things round again then it's either re-sleeve time which is costly,,,or look for another block.

gray
    2000 z28

Chevy said in performance catalog you could bore any ls block .030. I have seen agood many ls1 blocks on street running that way no problems.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by elivingston View Post
    Chevy said in performance catalog you could bore any ls block .030. I have seen agood many ls1 blocks on street running that way no problems.
    LS1 block bored .030 over? Good luck with that. I dont care what any "Chevy magazine" said. You sure you haven't been seeing "L" Series blocks bored .030 over? Ex. LQ4/LQ9?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

KaBOOM!!!!!

EFILive Tuner gmperformancecentre's Avatar

red
    415 RWHP VY SS Commodore

10 thou hone is the only thing i have done

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I call BS. You might have seen an iron block but you have NOT seen a ls1 aluminum block with a .030 bore.

The iron blocks can be bored .030 which is why I still favor iron block engines. Cheap and easy with room to spare for another refresh down the road. No expensive sleeving.
    It's why I've always considered the LS1 blocks "throwaways" Once you've used it up with over 100,000 miles or more it's more than likely well past the simple honing stage,,,and for the cost of resleeving you can have a brand new 6.0 liter bare iron block at your door with change left over.

Weight penalties shouldn't even be a factor,,,the difference is only 60-70 lbs. and that can be taken right back off with a tubular K-member.
    It's a no brainer

gray
    2000 z28

OK I see what this site is all about you want see me back. You can bore a ls1 block .030 over take the time to check it out. Look at how thick a replacement sleeve is.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

OK I see what this site is all about you want see me back. You can bore a ls1 block .030 over take the time to check it out. Look at how thick a replacement sleeve is.
    Why the hell would you want to do that? You cant a STOCK ls1.. point has been proven.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You CAN bore it.

But you SHOULDN'T.

You are missing the point. Ya replacement sleeves are thick, but that wasn't the question at hand,,and why go through the expense of sleeving the block anyway,,,just too costly considering all the other options out there. Working in a machine shop part time for several years,,,we only sleeved blocks that were irreplaceable, numbers matching, or aftermarket blocks simply weren't made. A prime example is the old FE Ford stuff. Up until a couple of years ago aftermarket blocks weren't available, and sleeving 427 side oiler blocks were a weekly accurance. So I ask,,,why do that with an LS1 when the aftermarket is booming with blocks, and even the LQ4 and LQ9 blocks are everywhere. You can even purchase a brand new cast iron LQ block from GM for about $700. It will cost you more than that to sleeve an LS1 and do it right.

Generally speaking, and I'm sure the original question was directed the same way,,,,,we are talking about boring a stock LS1 block without re-sleeving it. A slight hone is all that is possible. And with all these engines having piston slap problems early on,,,,I can imagine how out of round those cylinder liners are, especially after 100,000 miles of driving. In most cases a simple hone won't fix that.

No, they didn't. I don't know what you think you read, but either it's wrong or you read it wrong. Don't believe me? Call any major piston manufacturer and tell them you need .030" over LS1 pistons.

gray
    2000 z28

You do what you want and I will do what I know. I have a L92 block going to bore to 4.10".

You do what you want and I will do what I know. I have a L92 block going to bore to 4.10".
    Thats not an LS1 though. I've heard/read that the later year LS2/LS3 blocks like you are speaking of do have a little more room to play before sleeving.

white
    2000 Z28

the L92 is the "L" series which lately that group of motors are iron blocks derived from "LS" design. i have no experience with machine work but alot of people on here know what they are talking about because they have either asked the same questions that most newcomersare asking or they are the poeple actually doing the work newcomers are asking about. if your not comfortable with the answer then do more research locally and on the internet, extra info is always good.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

You shouldn't bore an aluminum block.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

gray
    2000 z28

Ok L92 is a alum. block. If you have 2000 are later ls1 block you can bore it. Sealpower has pistons. You can pm me if you want to know where you can get it done.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

If you have 2000 are later ls1 block you can bore it. Sealpower has pistons. You can pm me if you want to know where you can get it done.
    Yes, PM this guy if you want to bore your LS1 block .030 and have it throw a piston into your lap threw the side of the block.

Thread Information