Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Biggest cam for factory exhaust manifolds

I have been reading quite a bit and it seems like I should go with either the stealth 2 cam or the cheatr cam. I need to keep my stock manifolds (i know it sucks) But what is the biggest i can go, i want the most gain from a cam with stock manifolds.? A 224/224 or bigger? I would be using a vinci tuner to tune it also. It seems like the cheatr and stealth 2 will give me about 30rwhp tuned.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
    I have been reading quite a bit and it seems like I should go with either the stealth 2 cam or the cheatr cam. I need to keep my stock manifolds (i know it sucks) But what is the biggest i can go, i want the most gain from a cam with stock manifolds.? A 224/224 or bigger? I would be using a vinci tuner to tune it also. It seems like the cheatr and stealth 2 will give me about 30rwhp tuned.
    i dont know if you would even get 30 rwhp. i only got 350rwhp on a cam/ header swap and mine is a m6. but i dont have any boltons just cam /headers. but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    i dont know if you would even get 30 rwhp. i only got 350rwhp on a cam/ header swap and mine is a m6. but i dont have any boltons just cam /headers. but who knows.
    well there is a dyno on ls1tech where the guy picks 34rwhp with a cheatr cam and a dyno tune.
    1998 Firebird Formula WS6... few things done.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

well there is a dyno on ls1tech where the guy picks 34rwhp with a cheatr cam and a dyno tune.
    i'm just saying i was hoping for around 370ish but i wasnt dissapointed when i put down 350. just dont be too optimistic, especially going by someone elses numbers.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

man... a hand held tuner isn't going to be good enough for a cam swap... shit like that needs a dyno tune...

either cam will give good gains...

Dark Blue
    2005 GTO

Lingenfelter makes the GT11 that has more lift on the intake and exhaust. .634/.644 . Duration is at 215/ 231 .

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

cheater cam and make sure you get beehive springs that will hold .650 lift.
    shorty headers are CARD legal in Cali
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Cam Motion will custom grind a cam that takes your entire setup into account and won't cost any more than an off-the-shelf cam. This is the way I'd go.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

buying a cam with stock headers is like putting a seatbelt on a couch... completely pointless.

the stock headers are restrictive as is, which is why people buy aftermarket headers.

For the same price of installing a cam and getting a tune, you can install headers get similar gains and not need a tune.

Also in regards to the GT11 cam, lift over 600 will kill factory springs!!!! Also you might have to flycut the pistons.

If you are dead set on buying a cam before headers, stick with the ls6 hot cam. Anything bigger will choking the engine and killing you factory springs.

When building a car build from the ground up! and buy parts that compliment eachother!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The hot cam sucks and should be avoided like plague regardless of your setup. The GT11 will NOT hit your pistons. Any cam swap worth making involves springs and more.

I agree about doing things that compliment though...

black

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    buying a cam with stock headers is like putting a seatbelt on a couch... completely pointless.

the stock headers are restrictive as is, which is why people buy aftermarket headers.

For the same price of installing a cam and getting a tune, you can install headers get similar gains and not need a tune.

Also in regards to the GT11 cam, lift over 600 will kill factory springs!!!! Also you might have to flycut the pistons.

If you are dead set on buying a cam before headers, stick with the ls6 hot cam. Anything bigger will choking the engine and killing you factory springs.

When building a car build from the ground up! and buy parts that compliment eachother!!!

hes in cali and cant go long tubes.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    hes in cali and cant go long tubes.

even with cats, cali can bust you???

with that being the case I would not go bigger then the ls6 hot cam

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The hot cam sucks and should be avoided like plague regardless of your setup. The GT11 will NOT hit your pistons. Any cam swap worth making involves springs and more.

I agree about doing things that compliment though...
    I like my idea because i could go with a cam and new springs which would be nice since mine have 94k on them and have a nice cam lope also and gain another 35 or so horsepower. I would probably add the ls6 intake also. I pretty much have 1,200 to spend and and i think a small cam, ls6 intake and tune route would be the best power for the money.
    Also how long should a pair of nice springs last me with a cam with around 600 or so lift like 30,000 miles??? I know it depends but that seems about average right?

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    even with cats, cali can bust you???

with that being the case I would not go bigger then the ls6 hot cam
    yep, lt's cause you have to move the cats which is an instant visual failure

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    yep, lt's cause you have to move the cats which is an instant visual failure

wow that completely sucks!!!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

I like my idea because i could go with a cam and new springs which would be nice since mine have 94k on them and have a nice cam lope also and gain another 35 or so horsepower. I would probably add the ls6 intake also. I pretty much have 1,200 to spend and and i think a small cam, ls6 intake and tune route would be the best power for the money.
    Also how long should a pair of nice springs last me with a cam with around 600 or so lift like 30,000 miles??? I know it depends but that seems about average right?

with understanding the situation your in and that you are going to do springs.

I would recommend:

228 222 .588 .581 114.5
    224 224 .581 .581 112
    224 224 .581 .581 114

they are excellent cams from Speed inc.

Also for springs you will be fine using Ovate Wire Comp Cam Spring. The use the stock retainers and will work fine. I use them on my big cam and its fine.

For spring longevity, let the car warm up every time you start it. No cold engine revving. also during install oil up the springs.

I would recommend buying new push rods too. 7.4 chromoly

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

$1,200...Thats what i had to invest in my car. And have to tell ya, after the 918 springs,ls6 ported oilpump,timing chain,cam,lifters,pushrods,gaskets...it ran me a little over 1k. So for me an ls6 intake has to wait.
    But...i bought the ls7 lifters and u problably dont need them so...you will be cutting it close!
    hope this helped some! And i went with the 224/224 581/581 12lsa the rest is stock for now.(i know im chocking it but sorry, no cash)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodDavid View Post
    $1,200...Thats what i had to invest in my car. And have to tell ya, after the 918 springs,ls6 ported oilpump,timing chain,cam,lifters,pushrods,gaskets...it ran me a little over 1k. So for me an ls6 intake has to wait.
    But...i bought the ls7 lifters and u problably dont need them so...you will be cutting it close!
    hope this helped some! And i went with the 224/224 581/581 12lsa the rest is stock for now.(i know im chocking it but sorry, no cash)
    ya i was thinking about the used parts on here there are some good deals out there that i could just get over time i would not be done with this swap till the end of summer. I just really want to explore the options.
    Are you on stock manifolds?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I sure am glad I don't live in Cali.

I just took my car for an emissions test yesterday. The guys were looking at me like I was gonna fail. He even looked in the back hatch (windows not tinted) and said huh nitrous. I told him or go fast juice.

I passed and check my sig for mods.....

black

im also in Il. as long as you have the emissons program deleted and have a proper tune, youll pass every time

Thread Information