Green
    '98 Z28

Post Big Problems! Need Help!

Hey guys,

I have a serious problem. I have a '98 Z28 and not to long ago I started to notice knocking in my engine. Not loud, but enough for me to notice. It got louder as the rpm's increased and the oil pressure also went down drastically as I drove. The temp. never jumped up, but now it sounds TERRIBLE. I mean TERRIBLE.
    I took it to the dealership and within 2 hrs. the guy told me that I had a spun rod bearing! he told me it would cost 7500 dollars to replace the engine. There's only one problem with that. I'm a 19 year old student at Auburn University and I don't have anywhere near that much after paying out of state tuition.
    Do you guys think that it could be anything else? If not, do you know where I could get an affordable used engine from? Or know of an affordable alternative to replacing the engine. I do want to keep this car because it's my dream car (green w/white leather and t-tops) but I'm afraid that if I can't find anything less than 7500 dollars, I'm going to have to let it go.

Let me know what you guys think. The car is in the Virginia Beach area if you know of any shops. If you want to make an offer you can! 104K miles

--GuessILS1

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

sounds like alot of piston slappin'..but the oil thing points other wise but i'm pretty sure the dealer mech. would be right...you want to move this to internal engine..they will flood you with info...mods move this one please hey good luck man
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Awaiting Activation
    look on ebay and you can find a used LS1 for under $3000

WHITE
    99 TRANS AM m6

Grams Camaro In Al Is A F Body Used Dealer 205-668-1169.can T Help On The Install With The Car Not Here But Good Luck.

You could also consider a used assembled block. Your heads, oil pump, intake, block covers, timing set, electricals...etc., can be re-used on the swapped block. Make sure the block is purchased from a reputable seller & it will be ok. You might also get lucky & find a complete engine as noted above. I have seen 98 LS1 assembled blocks w/ heads re-built for $800-$900 from time to time, also on e-bay; again, from reputable sellers only. Also, once you've found the replacement, have a local shop w/ LS1 experience do the install & you'll save more money. Money can also be saved if you have the shop swap blocks, cam, lifters, timing set, oil pump, covers & you assemble the heads, intake etc. It's the labor that will cost you the most & dealers are expensive. You can save $400 or so by doing the heads etc.. Good-luck

Green
    '98 Z28

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

You can either go crate motor or used. A lot of Vette guys are dropping in LS2's. Here's one from a 98 that is in Maryland, not too far from you to pick up on a Saturday:

Link to 40K miles LS1

I know someone on the forum who may be able to help, I will find you a contact for him. I sent him a PM on the other forum, he is in Maryland as well. So, if he can help, you only need to get the car to Maryland.
    Last edited by vettenuts; 10-03-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Black
    1999 Corvette FRC

Almost forgot about this forum We still have our motor for sale. Could you get the car up here to MD? Shoot me an email and I'll see what we can do about getting it installed. thomas@mroz.com

-Tom

Awaiting Activation
    Hey guessILS1 check this out:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27928

Quote Originally Posted by 99blackFRC View Post
    Almost forgot about this forum We still have our motor for sale. Could you get the car up here to MD? Shoot me an email and I'll see what we can do about getting it installed. thomas@mroz.com

-Tom
    99BlueZ, Looks to me like this is the deal you are looking for. Engine price is good & they're willing to install. It's well worth contacting them about the engine details & install price. Wish we had this option a while back when we were having some problems. Good-luck.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450 View Post
    99BlueZ, Looks to me like this is the deal you are looking for. Engine price is good & they're willing to install. It's well worth contacting them about the engine details & install price. Wish we had this option a while back when we were having some problems. Good-luck.
    i'm not the one looking for a motor - i was suggesting it to "guessILS1"

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    i'm not the one looking for a motor - i was suggesting it to "guessILS1"
    Yah, I know...was in a hurry & didn't scroll up far enough to see the thread starter.

nc98z
    I spun a rod bearing. I found 2001 corvette crate motors for $3750 new in the crate with 12/12 warranty at Mizfitmotorsports.Talk to Taylor.

Yep, $7500 is alot of money for a new longblock which is most likely what they are trying to sell you. I've seen used low mileage LS6 complete engines going for $3500-4000. Might as well get an upgrade if you're going to spend that kind of cheese.

Most likely the oil pump on your 98 took a crap causing the spun rod bearing. If you had the time and place to do the work you could tear it down a check out the damage. If the crank is okay and cylinders didn't get trashed some new bearings and an LS6 oil pump might get you by. IDK how easy this would be to do though considering you are a full time college student.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Here's another not too far away.

Low mileage LS6 engine

Thread Information