Red
    99 SS Convertible

best cam to pass Maryland emissions

I am getting long tubes installed shortly along with the cam, but can anyone from Md let me know how big I can go, and still have no issues with the emission guys. Btw, I have a M6 and everything is stock. Thanxs!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I didn't think Maryland even had state inspection??

Anyway, if they are anything like most other states, the size of your cam will be irrelevent - because they don't check tailpipe emmissions. What they do is plug into the OBD2 port under the dash, and pull the codes and emmissions status. So as long as your cam doesn't throw any codes (it shouldn't) you should be fine. Your best bet is to get a tune, and have them remove the AIR/EGR systems through the computer and tune out the reat O2 sensors. That way, even with no emmissions systems or cats, the computer will still report that everything is operating normally

Red
    99 SS Convertible

really . . . it's that easy? So you're saying you can cheat with an external computer, LS1 edit for example, and it tunes or removes codes that my car would naturally show to the emissions guys. So why all the hype about people freakin out about their cars failing cause they threw in an aftermarket cam that didn't pass? What's the purpose of this test anyway, if you can beat it?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by redfire99ss View Post
    really . . . it's that easy? So you're saying you can cheat with an external computer, LS1 edit for example, and it tunes or removes codes that my car would naturally show to the emissions guys. So why all the hype about people freakin out about their cars failing cause they threw in an aftermarket cam that didn't pass? What's the purpose of this test anyway, if you can beat it?
    Yes, pretty much. You can tune out the emmissions systems with the software, no problem.

Basically the state inspection checks to make sure that the computer isn't throwing any codes. Instead of physically checking the exhaust emmissions, they trust that the computer (since its OBDII) will provide them with codes if something is malfunctioning. By tuning out the emmissions systems, the ECU won't throw any codes, and therefore it will pass the OBDII test. However, you could have an issue if they do a visial inspection (no cats) or if they realize that the car is supposed to have EGR/AIR and its coming up in the system as "not ready", since it was tuned out.

You will more than likely be fine though as long as the ECu isn't throwing any codes (SES light off).

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

Everything matters how strict the particular state is about the testing. When I was in the military, I was stationed in Utah. They were pretty strict about stuff. They had the safety and emissions test and both had to be done and certified at the county testing facility. They didn't do the visual check because if you didn't have the cats there is no way to pass. I can remember here in SC when I first started driving we had the checks but any mechanic's shop could say they checked it out. We haven't had testing in almost ten years now. LOL

Thread Information