Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bright Green Metallic
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Best Bang 4 Buck, HP AND Gas Mileage?

I have a 98 Z28 that I bought new. 70,000 miles. Only power mod is a Lid so I'm starting from scratch. I'd like a nice increase in HP with no loss of Gas Mileage. I'm not up to speed on ported LS6 heads vs ported LS1 heads. Or the LS6 cam vs other cams with respect to power and gas mileage. Given about $3000 (not firm) what would be the recommended setup? I want to retain low rpm torque and a relatively quiet car.

Thanks,

Jim

nice set of plugs and check plug wires first

SLP cold air is nice for mpg and some performance

as for mods good set of LTs with Y pipe and good cat back
    a good tune and not from a handheld
    ls6 intake would be nice benefit for you
    LS6 is a good cam but only gains you a few ponies. since you want over all power a proven 224 be up your alley.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Cam, longtubes, and heads and your mpgs will go down.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

HP costs MPG in general

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    HP costs MPG in general
    Exactly. All the gas fumes pouring out my tailpipes from the valve overlap (which I like) is just vaporized $$.

Bright Green Metallic
    1998 Z28 Camaro

How about just going LS6 heads, LS6 cam? Isn't that about 50 HP and same Mileage?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Cam, longtubes, and heads and your mpgs will go down.
    O yea? depending on cam you chose is how your MPG wil lsuffer. a tune makes hte difference. a motor that becomes more effeicent works better performs better and operates better. with all that mPG shouldnt suffer. key is the tune and not all tunes are equal

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    O yea? depending on cam you chose is how your MPG wil lsuffer. a tune makes hte difference. a motor that becomes more effeicent works better performs better and operates better. with all that mPG shouldnt suffer. key is the tune and not all tunes are equal
    Umm, whatever. Been there done that. Yes it's tuned. Want good milaege use a stock cam.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by eldrijt View Post
    How about just going LS6 heads, LS6 cam? Isn't that about 50 HP and same Mileage?

Jim
    Well you can get that much HP from swapping just the cam with a bigger cam. Why not save the time and money of swapping the heads?

Umm, whatever. Been there done that. Yes it's tuned. Want good milaege use a stock cam.
    sorry your car sucked for mpg. like i said it all depends on the cam that is specd out. something with a lot of over lap isnt going to be effeicent as one with 0* overlap. i guess mid 20s average for mpg is bad?

local dude with a 224/230 cam in his vette gets 32mpg average

i seened 20mpg with a cammed 6.0 3800 stall in a 4600lb truck a few years back.... again it depends on tune and driving habits

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

sorry your car sucked for mpg. like i said it all depends on the cam that is specd out. something with a lot of over lap isnt going to be effeicent as one with 0* overlap. i guess mid 20s average for mpg is bad?

local dude with a 224/230 cam in his vette gets 32mpg average

i seened 20mpg with a cammed 6.0 3800 stall in a 4600lb truck a few years back.... again it depends on tune and driving habits
    Lol. These guys with there Vettes and that "mpg indicator" crack me up. My buddy with his C5 says it gets like 30 somethin per gallon. This is not real mpg. If he were to do some actual math and calculate miles driven divided by gallons used it would be quite different. Mid 20s? My car got an average of about 22-23 mpg (city and highway) when new and unmodified. It just goes down from there. Do you even have an aftermarket cam, longtubes, offroad Y? One guy on BITOG told me Impalla SSs can get 30mpg. Lmao. My friend has one and he gets about 16mpg.

Lol. These guys with there Vettes and that "mpg indicator" crack me up. My buddy with his C5 says it gets like 30 somethin per gallon. This is not real mpg. If he were to do some actual math and calculate miles driven divided by gallons used it would be quite different. Mid 20s? My car got an average of about 22-23 mpg (city and highway) when new and unmodified. It just goes down from there. Do you even have an aftermarket cam, longtubes, offroad Y? One guy on BITOG told me Impalla SSs can get 30mpg. Lmao. My friend has one and he gets about 16mpg.
    never said one word about those DIC. im speaking calculations. bone stock 02 SS with my tune got 30mpg on the highway trip we took. m6 with 342s

its all in how hte vehicle is tuned and what condition its in along with driver style. my 88 5.0 used to average 22mpg

just tuned a 02 TA with LTs, ORY and now gets 22mpg city driving. it had bad 02s and piss poor tune before and was only getting 15mpg

my blazer which is stock minus a 87 octane tune sees 20 mpg average and has seen as high as 23mpg on a long highway trip.

and NO PA is not flat

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

never said one word about those DIC. im speaking calculations. bone stock 02 SS with my tune got 30mpg on the highway trip we took. m6 with 342s

its all in how hte vehicle is tuned and what condition its in along with driver style. my 88 5.0 used to average 22mpg

just tuned a 02 TA with LTs, ORY and now gets 22mpg city driving. it had bad 02s and piss poor tune before and was only getting 15mpg

my blazer which is stock minus a 87 octane tune sees 20 mpg average and has seen as high as 23mpg on a long highway trip.

and NO PA is not flat
    I suppose you could tune it for gas milaege if you want. What does your car run? My tuner tuned a few of the fastest cars on LS1 Tech. His gf (Ash WS6) is on one the top ten lists there. I guess he doesn't know how to tune.
    No problem with my tune or car.

I suppose you could tune it for gas milaege if you want. What does your car run? My tuner tuned a few of the fastest cars on LS1 Tech. His gf (Ash WS6) is on one the top ten lists there. I guess he doesn't know how to tune.
    No problem with my tune or car.
    the car i tuned that got 30mpg went 12.6@109 with 1.8 60'. car had stock manifolds and Y pipe. it was a 345hp car. thats a lid, filter and muffler from factory. it would of went faster if he had a good 60'

the most recent car hasnt been track yet cause of its not open.

you tune a car for drivalbity and performance, i dont know your tuner bud nor do i care. if your not getting mpg its cause of tune, poor car condition or your right foot

so your tuner tunes the 7s cars on the board? or is it the 8s cars? or is it the 9s cars? or you just speaking out your ass

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

the car i tuned that got 30mpg went 12.6@109 with 1.8 60'. car had stock manifolds and Y pipe. it was a 345hp car. thats a lid, filter and muffler from factory. it would of went faster if he had a good 60'

the most recent car hasnt been track yet cause of its not open.

you tune a car for drivalbity and performance, i dont know your tuner bud nor do i care. if your not getting mpg its cause of tune, poor car condition or your right foot

so your tuner tunes the 7s cars on the board? or is it the 8s cars? or is it the 9s cars? or you just speaking out your ass
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-r...s-any-c-i.html Scroll down to ASH WS6. Tuner is Jeff goes by "Granny Shifting" on Tech. Owns P.S.I. in Glen Burnie. Only one talking out of there ass here is you. My cars been in the 11s, cam only. Not the deepest in the 11s around but I don't practice too much. His car goes 10.7s cam only at around 125mph.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-r...s-any-c-i.html Scroll down to ASH WS6. Tuner is Jeff goes by "Granny Shifting" on Tech. Owns P.S.I. in Glen Burnie. Only one talking out of there ass here is you. My cars been in the 11s, cam only. Not the deepest in the 11s around but I don't practice too much. His car goes 10.7s cam only at around 125mph.
    I know who he is, and last i checked he was working on a Orange SS [LT1 body, LS1 driveline....his shop had the car fall off the lift]

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I know who he is, and last i checked he was working on a Orange SS [LT1 body, LS1 driveline....his shop had the car fall off the lift]
    Ya I know ORange SS too. What's your point? Why do you insist on arguing constantly? You asked about my tuner so I told you. Are you 12 years old or something?

Ya I know ORange SS too. What's your point? Why do you insist on arguing constantly? Are you 12 years old or something?
    your stating false info. im providing facts and you come back on different wording. the OP asked bang for buck

you came in speaking garbage of modding kills MPG, which is true and false depending on how you address the question.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

But you agree that adding a larger camshaft, one that makes more power then just adding a awesome LS6 cam or a special stock ZO6 cam.... Requires more fuel... along with air. Right? Does that not affect MPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    But you agree that adding a larger camshaft, one that makes more power then just adding a awesome LS6 cam or a special stock ZO6 cam.... Requires more fuel... along with air. Right? Does that not affect MPG?
    if the cam has alot of overlap its going to suffer on mpg. you realize a motor is an air pump? are you familiar VE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information